• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA has a transition agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sure every single Southwest pilot feels the same way you do.

No wonder pilots aren't considered in strategic decisions.... Too bad, because we clearly know everything and we have answers to every question...

Good luck to all involved. Something tells me this is gonna get NASTY......

gt, you also said you average 17 days off as a senior FO, a junior SW fo on reserve has 16 days off except Feb then its 15, I'm pretty sure. But he/she has the ability to go beyond the reserve guarantee on days off and do well beyond that from any base and only if he/she wants to. So looks to me their junior guy has great quality of life in comparison. Plus one must define growth and career expectations. Is it new airplanes, new cities growth? SW opens 3 new cities next month gets new airplanes and has upgrades again. They seemed to throw down the anchor on growth to ride out the economic downturn to protect their employees and continue to profit.Your career expectations when you got hired there could not have been the same as a SW hired that same year in regards to earnings either. So I can defintely see why SW pilots are concerned about losing seniority just because SWA the company buys not merges with another carrier. It is "relative" seniority depending on which side you are on. SW seems to have nothing to gain money wise and you could argue as you have about their quality of life which will 100% be reduced if an AT goes in front of them since they're junior guys seem to have your quality of life with more pay.

According to APC, SWA 8 yr fo is 139 and AT is 95, SWA 9 yr fo is 140 and AT is 97. Where do you come up with SWA's is less than AT's? Oh, maybe you were talking about ca pay. Let's see, SWA 8 yr ca is 201 and AT is 149, SWA 9 yr ca is 203 and AT is 153. Where is this "AT's pay is 10 and 13 more than SWA come from"?

How many 8 year Cpts are at SWA? None. Almost everyone at AAI who is an 8 year pilot is a Cpt. Im trying to compare apples to apples as best as possible. If you compare guys who have been on property for 6-10 years at AAI, and guys who have been on property for 6-9 years at SWA, the pay gap that many at SWA are trying to claim just isn't there. Sure, the hourly rate of an 8 year FO at SWA is much better, but there isn't many 8 year FO's at AAI, so you need to compare actual apples to apples. If it wasn't for the SWA merger, Id already be on SWA pay because I could hold the left seat, but im still in the right seat because of this merger, and AAI has stopped hiring and for the most part, stopped upgrades.. For 10 year guys and later, sure, the SWA guys are making more money. But for a large portion of the AAI pilots, this isn't the huge windfall many at SWA think it is. In the long run it "might" be, but then we would just be speculating. 10 years ago SWA wasn't exactly the most desirable airline to work for. They were still young and didn't have nearly the hold they do today. They made money because their wages were lower then everyone elses, and they scrapped for market share. Sound familier?

I would not mind if this entire thing went away

You might get your wish. Check out Muse/TranStar on wikipedia.

How many 8 year Cpts are at SWA? None. They made money because their wages were lower then everyone elses, and they scrapped for market share. Sound familier?
My point exactly, your career expectation isn't that of a SW guy, you just said it. Also to compare apples to apples as you say, what does an 8 yr ca at AT make per month vs a 8 yr FO at SW not rate but actual pay in pocket. If it is anywhere in the same vicinity, then the argument for wages doesn't hold either. I would like to have less responsiblity and keep or make more sitting in right seat.

How many 8 year Cpts are at SWA? None. Almost everyone at AAI who is an 8 year pilot is a Cpt. Im trying to compare apples to apples as best as possible. If you compare guys who have been on property for 6-10 years at AAI, and guys who have been on property for 6-9 years at SWA, the pay gap that many at SWA are trying to claim just isn't there. Sure, the hourly rate of an 8 year FO at SWA is much better, but there isn't many 8 year FO's at AAI, so you need to compare actual apples to apples. If it wasn't for the SWA merger, Id already be on SWA pay because I could hold the left seat, but im still in the right seat because of this merger, and AAI has stopped hiring and for the most part, stopped upgrades.. For 10 year guys and later, sure, the SWA guys are making more money. But for a large portion of the AAI pilots, this isn't the huge windfall many at SWA think it is. In the long run it "might" be, but then we would just be speculating. 10 years ago SWA wasn't exactly the most desirable airline to work for. They were still young and didn't have nearly the hold they do today. They made money because their wages were lower then everyone elses, and they scrapped for market share. Sound familier?

So stupid it hardly deserves comment... but, how about comparing 12 yr captain rates? Here, I'll do it for you: AAI $162, SWA $210. 30% pay disparity. How about 3rd yr FO (since both AAI and SWA have them)? AAI $76, SWA $104. 37% increase for AAI FOs when (if?) they are part of SWAPA.

I won't bother going into the benefits, vacation, schedule flexibility, etc. Your head would probably explode, or you just wouldn't get it anyway. You have no idea how much better your life will be under our CBA, if you ever make it.

PS. Is your application on file at SWA?

I would sit back and watch our two unions get this deal done. You just stated "In the long run it "might" be, but then we would just be speculating". Isn't that what a arbitrator would do. I think you need to look at the health of your company compared to SWA's. I would also ask your shareholders and Bob why? Why are you selling us? You will upgrade at SWA and have a long prosperous career at SWA. A lot better one than you would have.

The reality of pay is that it is a bigger gap than on paper. Forth year SWA FO 162K last year. How does that compare to $79 bucks an hour?

I nominate this for the "Most Bizarre Logic of the Year" award!

Sounds like something Sarah Palin would say.

Hey, GT- I'm at your 8 year point at SWA, still just an FO.

Worked 649 block hours about 18 days off average without working most sat/sun and W2 showed 221K (inc 14K retro) in 2010. QOL is pretty awesome. If the offer for the left seat came today, I'd pass.

Not trying to show off, but you need some real numbers to look at and not some speculative things that you 'believe' or have 'heard'.

Life's is pretty good over here. You'll like it. Really.

But if you don't want it that's cool too.

Frankly, from a selfish point of view, I kinda hope your wish comes true. There isn't really any upside for me or most of my brothers.

Cheers- BD32

Latest resources

Back