• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA has a transition agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is not that big of pay raise. SWA is telling their people AT FOs will make 50K more a year=complete lie !! Its like 300-450.00 more a trip. The numbers are out there. Figure it out for yourself.

Just did the math. You're right, for a 5th year FO, it's actually more than $50,000.

Don't think you've been watching how we operate, not to mention you're obviously not used to the delays we get in ATL (although PHL should be similar when they get really jacked up).

For example, this morning in MCO we cranked one engine, taxied from the gate, were told to follow one of your 737's, turned the corner behind you on Echo, started cranking the other one, had it all done by the time we turned the corner at the end for 35L, you guys were rolling, we were told to line up and wait, took off 90 seconds later. Probably saved 50 pounds of fuel.

Multiply that times 6 legs per day per aircraft average, 300 pounds per aircraft times 150 airplanes (rough numbers for easy math) is 45,000 pounds per day, or 6,750 gallons at an average price of $2.35 per gal is $15,862.50 times 30 days per month is $475,875 savings per month. The actual number from the company is considerably higher as some times you can save 200-300 pounds in ATL and PHL and even more with ground holds.

We don't take delays because of our single engine taxi and save approximately $500k+ a month in fuel, or about $6 Million a year. Multiply that times your fleet size and that fuel savings jumps close to $30 Million a year.

Scuttlebutt is that our single engine taxi procedure is the first change you guys might make to save some $$$. Enjoy! :D

Wow you guys digress on moot points.

I can't wait to taxi around on one (on a regular basis).

Any way you AT guys can convince our mgt. that barney blue sux as a color and that we should go back to corndog brown......or better yet, the gold-flake that is on Herb's plane, N711HK.

Last edited:
Don't think you've been watching how we operate, not to mention you're obviously not used to the delays we get in ATL (although PHL should be similar when they get really jacked up).

For example, this morning in MCO we cranked one engine, taxied from the gate, were told to follow one of your 737's, turned the corner behind you on Echo, started cranking the other one, had it all done by the time we turned the corner at the end for 35L, you guys were rolling, we were told to line up and wait, took off 90 seconds later. Probably saved 50 pounds of fuel.

Multiply that times 6 legs per day per aircraft average, 300 pounds per aircraft times 150 airplanes (rough numbers for easy math) is 45,000 pounds per day, or 6,750 gallons at an average price of $2.35 per gal is $15,862.50 times 30 days per month is $475,875 savings per month. The actual number from the company is considerably higher as some times you can save 200-300 pounds in ATL and PHL and even more with ground holds.

We don't take delays because of our single engine taxi and save approximately $500k+ a month in fuel, or about $6 Million a year. Multiply that times your fleet size and that fuel savings jumps close to $30 Million a year.

Scuttlebutt is that our single engine taxi procedure is the first change you guys might make to save some $$$. Enjoy! :D

You make it sound like the pilots of SWA don't want to single engine taxi. WE DO! Everyone since the beginning of time has ran the numbers and can see the cost savings if we did it. But until you convince the head honchos in FLT OPS to make the change, it doesn't happen. I sure hope some of your procedures make it into our book (as long as stuff comes out of our book) but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers!

I can't wait to taxi around on one (on a regular basis).

Any way you AT guys can convince our mgt. that barney blue sux as a color and that we should go back to corndog brown......or better yet, the gold-flake that is on Herb's plane, N711HK.

Totally agreed! The goldtops are the best looking paintjobs we've ever had. Not that there was much competition! ;)

Just an observation, but I don't think SWA needs to buy AT to do SE taxi. SWA res system seems to be working OK, last time I flew on them. Who needs paperless cockpit? Just seems like benefits you list provide negligible, if any savings to SWA or they're things SWA can implement on it's own, if it deems them cost worthy. Sounds like it's cheaper for SWA to allow AT to operate as it's own airline with it's current wage rates and work rules. In fact without bag fees, which SWA doesn't have, AT actually loses money. So if SWA adopts it's no bag fee to AT, increases wage rates to current SWA level across the board, AT would be a huge money losing operation. And this with AT already doing SE taxi, and going paperless.

btw SWA can single engine taxi... it is just our policy to taxi from the ramp with two engines running. Majority of our taxi times are less than 10 mins. Most of our flights it doesnt make sense to single engine taxi. While your creaping to the runway with one engine running doing 50 checklists, we are in the air getting our customers to their destination... so where is the savings, really?

And your safety record directly reflects that. Cheers.

Actually, even that might be overly optimistic given the actual language.

From page 1 of SL8:

Following the Merger Closing, Southwest and AirTran Airways would each continue to operate as separate air carriers unless and until Southwest combines Southwest and AirTran Airways into a single air carrier.

Your company seems to be a little more upbeat than you :D Especially your VP of Flt Ops.

DALLAS, Feb. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News) announced today that it has reached an agreement with its Pilots, represented by the Southwest Airlines Pilots' Association (SWAPA), on an initial Transition Agreement that establishes a procedural framework for eventually integrating the Pilots of Orlando-based AirTran Airways into Southwest. The integration addressed by the agreement would follow the official legal closing of Southwest's acquisition of AirTran's parent company, AirTran Holdings, Inc., which is currently anticipated to occur during the second quarter of 2011. Closing is subject to the approval of AirTran stockholders, receipt of certain regulatory clearances, and fulfillment of customary closing conditions.
With this initial transition agreement, Southwest and SWAPA establish a framework to begin an orderly transition from operating Southwest and AirTran as separate carriers, to a single carrier under one Single Operating Certificate (SOC). This transition agreement is an integral first step in that process.
"This transition agreement, which was unanimously agreed to by our SWAPA Board of Directors, is an important step in the AirTran acquisition and integration process," said Chuck Magill, Southwest Airlines Vice President of Flight Operations. "Our hard-working Pilots are now poised to begin the important and challenging work of integrating their AirTran colleagues into Southwest Airlines."

Also....where do you get 50 checklists from? Single engine taxi has one extra spot for..Pack and iso switches....set. Come on man.

ok, 50 items on 1 checklist...of course im exaggerating a bit. I really don't mind single engine taxi. Yes, I am aware of ATL and PHL. Actually flew outta ATL for 10 yrs. Watching you guys single engine taxi from our airside in mco (when you usted to park there) to RW17R... the poor fo was rattling off ckecklist items all the way to the runway. All I could think, wow that poor fo! Any taxi time less than 10 mins is a waste on single engine.

If we choose to single engine taxi, we can, just saying that most of operation doesn't require it. The only restriction we have is a two engine taxi off the gate / ramp area for safety. To say we can't single engine taxi is flat out incorrect! I would like a checklist that would allow us to taxi off the gate single engine, but the powers that be do not want us to. I don't care, the company pays me to fly the plane the way the company wants it flown... I just prefer our shorter checklists on a regular basis...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back