• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly Ain't Waitin' for the DOJ!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That there is the rub. Check out the mins required for both. I'd bet there are quite a few AAI FOs the don't meet the mins to even apply to SWA, but they expect relative senority?

I believe 1000 TURBINE PIC to apply at SWA vs 500 PIC at AAI. And a type rating to start class.

I guess this is a non issue.

Last edited:
That there is the rub. Check out the mins required for both. I'd bet there are quite a few AAI FOs the don't meet the mins to even apply to SWA, but they expect relative senority?

I believe 1000 TURBINE PIC to apply at SWA vs 500 PIC at AAI. And a type rating to start class.

I guess this is a non issue.

You're wrong about the 1000 Turbine PIC and you're probably right about the 737 type.

AirTran payed for mine :)

You see Dicko, that's the problem. You really don't know the facts and spew what you believe, not believing the truth.

Look it up yourself at http://www.southwest.com/html/about-southwest/careers/positions/pilots.html

I'll post the highlights to help you out.

Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3 (as defined below) is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. NO other time is counted

As a side, Dicko, I know you're a CAPT now, but curious if you met the mins at SWA when you were hired at AAI? Not that it matters much, just curious.

Last edited:
There is a reason SWA group is older. It takes longer to get hired there and it is more competitive. I am sure pilots have interviewed multiple times at Airtran to get hired, it just is not as common. This is not a statement for SLI discussion, just an observation.

And the mins at vorgin america are 1,000 TPIC and 5,000 total which is more than at southwest. Should they get higher relative seniority in case of a merger?

You see Dicko, that's the problem. You really don't know the facts and spew what you believe, not believing the truth.

Look it up yourself at http://www.southwest.com/html/about-southwest/careers/positions/pilots.html

I'll post the highlights to help you out.

Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3 (as defined below) is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. NO other time is counted

As a side, Dicko, I know you're a CAPT now, but curious if you met the mins at SWA when you were hired at AAI? Not that it matters much, just curious.

I'll be happy to answer your question. I think I probably added to some confusion. My fault.

I was talking about AirTran FO's having 1000 121 TPIC. The vast majority did when they were hired (since 2002).

You are absolutely correct about the required minimums for both airlines.

Yes, I had over 1000 121 TPIC when I was hired and met all of the SWA mins. No 737 type obviously.

I was told by both AirTran pilot HR and friends who were writing me letters of rec. that 1000TPIC was the minimum to get your foot in the door. The published mins were the same then as they are now. I'm sure you know that minimum means minimum. Not competitive.

We are about the same seniority. The results will be interesting. I say this with no acrimony

Cheers

Last edited:
If Airtran bought VA would you give them relative? The AAI folks in here have said multiple times that VA doesn't count. Right back at ya!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Be careful about the "hiring minimums" argument. Most of the pilots hired by AirTran had experience that vastly exceeded the minimums.

You might find that, while SWA's "minimums" were higher, that the average AirTran hire actually had more flight time, especially if SWA hired more fighter types and corporate guys, while AirTran hired a bunch of Delta retirees and legacy furloughees.

If Airtran bought VA would you give them relative? The AAI folks in here have said multiple times that VA doesn't count. Right back at ya!

VAs still a start up and no where nears being profitable. If they were a profitable entity with desired assets and gk felt they needed them to grow when he felt he couldn't otherwise, then yes, all wn CAs 93 and senior go first then relative to the bottom. Absolutely. The more this system gains traction, the easier the arbitrators job will be. After the SLI remember, Happiness is a personal choice.

Be careful about the "hiring minimums" argument. Most of the pilots hired by AirTran had experience that vastly exceeded the minimums.

You might find that, while SWA's "minimums" were higher, that the average AirTran hire actually had more flight time, especially if SWA hired more fighter types and corporate guys, while AirTran hired a bunch of Delta retirees and legacy furloughees.

Wow-great point. Let's hope for their sake the arbit won't ask for deets on actual hiring times/backgrounds. It's the law of unintended consequences.

I can't comment on hypotheticals, just history. We were going to offer Midwest relative seniority. Looking at Southwest's history, you were going to offer F9 a staple.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back