• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly Ain't Waitin' for the DOJ!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even when Joe L. was CEO the talk at recurrent was the ridiculously low lease rates on 757's and what we could do with those. Maybe you missed it, but even little Sun Country was planning proving runs to Stanstead ... in 737's!

Yes, with stops in Gander after starting in MSP. The main reason they were doing that was to get ETOPS approval for eventual MAC contracts. But, they are doing it again this upcoming summer once a week, from Gatwick this time (via Gander too I believe).

Fireman

We just took all of their production and delivery slots. We won't be able to take any of their aircraft until we actually buy them. Then it will probably just take time to dismantle and take what we want of the aircraft if we don't combine the operations. The AirTran pilots will go where the aircraft go. If they play nice then they will come to SWA and if not they will go with the 717's to the highest bidder more than likely. 51% rule will rule. If there isn't a combination of operations B/M doesn't apply. The ball is in Alpa court.

You can't tell the DOJ that you plan on merging an airline and then decide to sell off pieces of an airline you acquire. There are legal obligations that the DOJ requires that prevent an airline from acquiring an airline and then selling off pieces of it. SWA must file their plans to the DOJ and they have an obligation to their shareholders. Sorry guys your dreams of Airtran being sold off in pieces is illegal. With Frontier Gary Kelly had stated that if oil were to reach certain levels then SWA would sell/ground a certain amount of the Airbus's. The law prevents the whole screwing the flying public...and employees, unless that is filed with the DOJ.

Bill, you crack me up. What do you think, that SWA is going to sell off 85 717's and create a new competitor with lower costs, or sell it to DAL or AMR... or just eat millions of dollars in broken leases, or park em, pay the leases and fend off shareholder lawsuits, all to salve your bruised ego?

GK is a businessman. We are pilots. The deal is going forward, we need to learn to live with it. It will be a good thing for all.

Ty,

Im a Dwight Yokum fan, both music and movies. But at first glance, that avatar just looks like a cowboy winking at me. Nothing more frightening than a gay cowboy. Even more frightening than the Freddy Mercury black leather species, gay Indians, and construction workers. I think you should go back to Walter Sobchak.

Just sayin'

I'm sure ol' Dwight would be a little bummed to hear that his picture was considered by some to be an invitation to go camping . . . :laugh:

I'll work on it over the weekend.

Last edited:
It looks like Gary isn't waiting for DOJ to start taking over. These aircraft will be flown by current SWA pilots before (or even if?) the two operations are combined

This sounds like denial, Looking at current labor law regarding integration and divining Kelly's intentions, I suspect that there is no "IF" or "maybe" in the works for this integration process and that it is a foregone conclusion. Southwest and Kelly need this merger and looking at the sums spent I'm sure it will happen despite a few pilots gripes. Im sure the Airtran captains have just as much right to maintain their seats as any SouthWest Captain.

Maybe just a different picture of Dwight. His music rocks. I always think of his song "Thousand Miles from Nowhere" when flying over the midwest.

I'm sure ol' Dwight would be a little bummed to hear that his picture was considered by some to be an invitation to go camping . . . :laugh:

I'll work on it over the weekend.

It looks like Gary isn't waiting for DOJ to start taking over. These aircraft will be flown by current SWA pilots before (or even if?) the two operations are combined

This sounds like denial, Looking at current labor law regarding integration and divining Kelly's intentions, I suspect that there is no "IF" or "maybe" in the works for this integration process and that it is a foregone conclusion. Southwest and Kelly need this merger and looking at the sums spent I'm sure it will happen despite a few pilots gripes. Im sure the Airtran captains have just as much right to maintain their seats as any SouthWest Captain.

I don't think GK's intentions is to dump AT. I believe GK will take care of his immediate family first. As far as seat's and who will keep them, I believe M/B will apply and is the best thing for both AT and SWA, especially for SWA if it goes to court. It's all about what is fair and equitable. So I have full trust in SWAPA and SWA to insure that our family is taken care of first. It's all about the transaction agreement.

Latest resources

Back