• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gary Kelly Ain't Waitin' for the DOJ!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not a downgrade if your pay and career expectations of final earnings go up (significantly). I would GLADLY take a loss of relative seniority if purchased by a UPS/FEDEX type operation if the end-game earnings worked out in a similar way. Seat is not important. Pay is important. I don't want to upgrade because it's a better seat...I want the money.
What if you had the opportunity to keep the seat and take the money? Using your logic you would rather take the downgrade because the pay is somewhat similar? Riiiiiight!

Upgrades are driven by the number of aircraft and their utilization, not attrition, which was mostly by FO's.
QUOTE]

Actually Ty, my friend at AAI said he recalls attrition rates of 10-12% in the mid-2000s. He said plenty of captains and first officers were bailing, which helped keep his upgrade at about 3 years (the airline did not double in his first three years).

He's also not very concerned about keeping his seat...he just wants away from AAI. He know that no matter what happens, his life is about to improve exponentially. And he's already sick and tired of trying to work under a new contract that can't be properly enforced!

Max, read all my comments, not just selectively. I stated that no matter what the outcome, you guys will be fenced for a long time, which is a great deal for you guys. At the end of which, there will be many new hires (hopefully), so when the fences come down, everyone affected by this sli will make out fine. Ty, etc. will keep their seats unless they bid out. So, in summary, once again, this sli will have no effect on anyone for a number of years, unless, like I said, they bid out. You guys get fat raises, keep what you have seniority wise, so why are you on here even complaining. Take the offer while it's on the table and enjoy your new career. It's going to be good for you.

You guys get fat raises, keep what you have seniority wise, so why are you on here even complaining.

Sundowner, I don't think any of us came here to complain. Unfortunately, the comments from some pilots were very negative towards AirTran and AirTran pilots. I think it is those specific comments that most of us were objecting to; many of those comments came from pilots who were not at either carrier, btw.

I think we are all trying to move beyond the negativity that has been expressed here for the past few months. I'm going to try to do my part.

To Lonestar-

I started off in mid 2001 at around #600 and moved up about 120 numbers over the past ten years. Nearly every one of those were retirements or medical. We averaged 10-12 retirements a year until they stopped.

Regards,
TW

Last edited:
Say what you will about Airtran, but it really is not a bad place to work! We are young, have a great time together, and the airline makes money! I believe both places are great assets, and the merged airline will NOT shrink! Growth through low volume routes(ie. Aruba one flt, once a week. SWA probably 8 flts a day) will spur growth and accelerate upgrades!
I see a lot of sharp TOOLS coming out of the tool box on both sides. At the end of the day, we are all the same. You fly people in metal from point to point. There is no reason for egos, when the arbitrator will take care of business.
I think we will all have a blast together, and be more successful doing so together! Look forward to drinking some beer with you all. take care!

Latest resources

Back