PSA(unbelievable!!)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bizzum said:
Where do you come up with this crap? integrity....if it was up to management they would be signing your paycheck, only the amount would be alll ZEROS....and i believe it is the COMPANIES that rob the employees blind in this industry, I don't see too many CEOs taking massive paycuts. Granted, unions have their issues, but IMO they are the only things that keep us from flying for free!!....AGAIN I SAY...You sir are an idiot.....

Actually thats not true at all. While the goal is always to get the cheapest labor there are limits. Just look at the airlines that keep having to drop their minimums. At some point the pool of applicants will dry up and then wages will have to go back up. I guarantee you this. If management stopped paying pilots the industry would collapse overnight. Plus the government would step in on that one, a thing called minimum wage remember. Regardless to say if they only paid minimum wage to all pilots no one would fly anymore. That is what truly sets the payscale. Unions try and use artifical barriers but in the end its really what the market will bear. If people stopped applying all together and said theyd love to work for the airline but want more money then they would raise the wage to a point where people agree to report for duty. Obviously the market is still bearing these wages why because even with paycuts we still do pretty darn well, especially the captains. The union is corrupt because they didn't let their members vote on it. Its never a waste of time to give every person the chance to vote on issues that concern them. The opinion was "formed" by the vocal minority. No worries though the flying will goto Mesa. Why reward mesa by letting them get growth and maybe a good contract later. You have to make them pay for their decision by getting the airplanes away from them so at least they aren't growing for being so cheap.

PSA MEC Proposals

D'Angelo said:
That is absolutely ridiculous. The pilots should have been allowed to vote anyway. I say good for the company for bypassing the MEC. The RLA is too liberal as it is. Management should be able to shoot offers right out to the pilot group. If the MEC can authorize a TA without even holding a vote then pilots should be able to vote on such an important issue bypassing the MEC all together. I thought the pilots were the union huh? Only when its convienent I guess

I usually agree with you D'Angelo, but in this case I can't. The PSA pilot group is represented by ALPA and the proposals should be presented to the PSA MEC and then communicated to the membership.

Like it or not, under the RLA, ALPA negotiates on the PSA pilot's behalf. The MEC does have a responsibility to communicate to the pilot group and put important issues affecting the entire membership up for a vote.

But, this happens after negotiations have taken place. Management cannot do an end run around ALPA's negotiating process, bypass the union and go directly to the pilots.

That's like a prosecuter bypassing the defense attorney and dealing directly with the defendant. The pilot group retained and voted for ALPA and the MEC to represent them and bypassing the process is not an option.

What PSA management would have liked to do is to avoid negotiations by putting it to a vote and hoping that their scare tactics worked and a slim majority of coerced pilots would approve it. If yes great, if not they figured then they would negotiate.

Good tactic if you're management if you can avoid negotiations and get everything you want by coercion.

My view is that this is going to force management to negotiate if they really want to get the aircraft at PSA. PSA already has the lowest operating and labor costs and best performance. Putting the 900's anywhere else is going to cost them more!

The MEC has put a number of modest proposals, both compensation related and non compensation related on the table. They are not asking for the moon and the stars, in the case of some proposals just non monetary QOL improvements.

Just like all negotiations, I am sure this will go down to the wire, but ultimately, a proposal will be put up for a vote by the membership.

Our MEC is trying to negotiate on the PSA pilot's behalf in good faith, that's what we hired them for, so let's see what they come up with.

Why reward mesa by letting them get growth and maybe a good contract later. You have to make them pay for their decision by getting the airplanes away from them so at least they aren't growing for being so cheap.

Getting the airplanes first is like buying a house then negotiating the price. It just doesn't work that way.
If Mesa gets the airplanes then so be it. The D.O. won't get his raise and we will go back to doing what we do. Somewhere sometime you have to put your foot down and say "Enough". It is management that is responsible for the airplanes potentially not coming. It is their fault for trying to take advantage of us. If the whole company suffers it isn't the pilots fault, christ i make $340/week, and you want me to fly a 90 seater?

wow to that mesa guy who is sooo rich. I am glad that I am working for a company that was not kicked out of a town due to disgruntal township over mesa performance, steamboat if I am not correct. Maybe you should take your money and hide it where your head is when you walk through the airport tool

listen if i have to step on other pilots to have mesa fly more CRJ900's then so be it. The reality is this industry changed if you dont like it leave, and for all those guys talking about their family and stuff. YOU SHOULDNT HAVE COME IN THIS INDUSTRY!!!

zman said:
listen if i have to step on other pilots to have mesa fly more CRJ900's then so be it. The reality is this industry changed if you dont like it leave, and for all those guys talking about their family and stuff. YOU SHOULDNT HAVE COME IN THIS INDUSTRY!!!

A whopping 4 posts and an inability to fill out your profile with any real information.

LADY'S AND GENTLEMEN.... I PRESENT.... "THE TROLL".

you know you had nothing descent to say cause you know what i said is true. Every man/woman for themselves.

D'Angelo said:
Actually thats not true at all. While the goal is always to get the cheapest labor there are limits. Just look at the airlines that keep having to drop their minimums. At some point the pool of applicants will dry up and then wages will have to go back up. I guarantee you this. If management stopped paying pilots the industry would collapse overnight. Plus the government would step in on that one, a thing called minimum wage remember. Regardless to say if they only paid minimum wage to all pilots no one would fly anymore. That is what truly sets the payscale. Unions try and use artifical barriers but in the end its really what the market will bear. If people stopped applying all together and said theyd love to work for the airline but want more money then they would raise the wage to a point where people agree to report for duty. Obviously the market is still bearing these wages why because even with paycuts we still do pretty darn well, especially the captains. The union is corrupt because they didn't let their members vote on it. Its never a waste of time to give every person the chance to vote on issues that concern them. The opinion was "formed" by the vocal minority. No worries though the flying will goto Mesa. Why reward mesa by letting them get growth and maybe a good contract later. You have to make them pay for their decision by getting the airplanes away from them so at least they aren't growing for being so cheap.

The figure of speech obviously was not noticed, zero dollars would not be allowed, BUT there are alot of people who would do it for ZERO dollars, heck they even PAY for FO jobs. All I am trying to say is that if people don't take a stand, we will all be flying 747 sized aircraft for $19 an hour. This industry is already going in the wrong direction, its time to quit biting at the dangling carrot.

Bizzum I think that is a matter of self opinion. Some people would like to see their airline they work for grow to fly much bigger a/c. I hope one day mesa will fly E190's or even larger, and I am perfectly happy with the pay.

Look at the Fokker it seated 86 seats ( the AA version), right now mesa currently operates 35+ CRJ900's what your talking about is already happening. I think the future will be in regional flying doing all the domestic flying and some international. Heck we already fly to mexico and canada as regional operators. The days of the old legacy crap is done with airlines are changing, pay is changing, life is changing. If people cant deal with it they need to seriously take a look at another industry if they have issues with the one we are in now. We as pilots will never change and you know something i would rather fly for 19 bucks an hour then have no job at all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back