• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA MEC tells Gary Kelly no thanks..again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask the JA guys the deal he got for them. The Morris debacle was a direct result of the SWA "Swingline" culture.

Some animosity? There was a lot of animosity. For years. There were Republic pilot friends of mine who all Vietnam vets, F4's, A4 drivers who were early 70's hires at Hughes Airwest, who still couldn't hold anything but the left seat of an old,broken down DC9 in the late 80's, while guys 20 years younger or more with 84 hire dates at Northwest were left seat in the DC10,757 after being on the property for 5 or 6 years. No big deal. That was fair right?

"this led to fences off of the wide body equipment. Other than that,it was a DOH merger"

Sounds good to me. DOH merger. Fence ATL and the 717's. And rescind the pay upgrade for the 717. Sounds fair to me.

Also, you might want to expound a little further as to the animosity on BOTH sides of Republic/Northwest. Why were the Northwest pilots upset? I realize if you actually put it out there, it may expose the hypocrisy of many ALPA pilots in general and more than a few ALPA pilots on this forum from other airlines in particular. There is that darn "Emperor with No Clothes" again.

I got hired by a small Airbus carrier in 1999 that used Northwest's training facility. My very first lunch in the cafeteria some green book guy sat down for lunch with a few of us non-NWA newhires and lectured us the entire meal about red book/green book/blue book. This feels like it's going to be deja vu all over again.

Ask the JA guys the deal he got for them. The Morris debacle was a direct result of the SWA "Swingline" culture.

Did Katz represent JA before or after the 1988 JA pilot lawsuit? http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/873/213/432339/

Katz was lead for US Airways pilots. Who represented the America West pilots? How'd that turn out? It's very hazy - can anyone refresh my memory? What? The Easties were so happy that they created a new union? Happy happy joy joy.
http://leonidas.cactuspilots.us/attachments/article/75/Nicolau Arbitration Award.pdf

Thanks for taking us for a ride in the wayback machine by pointing to Jet America/Alaska Airlines as a Katz success story.

He did a great job for all 95 Jet America pilots.

They had 8, yes that is eight airplanes. That is the resume you have your careers future resting comfortably?

You avoid the point that your man Katz represented pilots that were stapled. If he is the man, how did he legally fail in getting the Morris pilots other than a staple.

I have first hand knowledge. You don't. He promised the Morris pilots much more and did not deliver. Some of my best SWA friends were original Morris pilots. I know that history as well as they do. They are are all thrilled that Katz is the opposing attorney in this integration. They realize how incapable he was for them.

Keep grabbing at straws and telling your self that culture trumps a judges decision on labor law.

But I get it. You need to be confident in your team. Just like the Vikings fans hope Donavan McNabb can bring them the Lombardi Trophy this year.

An agreement to an arbritrated SL was made if negotiations would not work (which rarely if ever work). Why is SWAPA backtracking on the agreement?

It seems to me SWAPA is trying to bully AT pilots to force them into an unfair list. Why the fear mongering? Why is SWAPA afraid of arbitration? Don't understand.

An agreement was reached with SWA, SWAPA and AT ALPA. Why not follow it? Arbritation time should be coming soon--just get it done! ALPA is following the process and timeline. Again, why does SWAPA fear a fair integration?

Now why don't the SWA guys answer the questions instead of change the subject?

Why not follow the process agreement which was laid out? It appears the AT side is. It appears to an outsider SWAPA fears an equitable integration which will be more likely with arbritration. Am I right?

Why not follow the process agreement which was laid out? It appears the AT side is. It appears to an outsider SWAPA fears an equitable integration which will be more likely with arbritration. Am I right?

Schwanker, the reason why I asked for a copy of the 4 party process agreement is to see if both sides are following the agreement. You're assuming that the process is being followed by AT. I'm not as confident with that assessment.
There has already been one AirTran pilot who posted that they were insulted by some of the wording in the process agreement. That was a red flag to me.

Those of us on the outside have no idea what's in the language of the document so let's not jump to the conclusion that the agreement is currently being followed by either side. On the same note, don't assume that there's no escape door in the agreement. There's almost always an escape door.

As for fear of arbitration, this is one that could produce a strange result. I'm willing to stick my neck out and predict that it'll be somewhere between a stapling of SWA pilots below all Airtran pilots and a stapling of Airtran pilots below all SWA pilots. How's that for a prediction?

Last edited:

No one is avoiding the question because this the answer is too obvious.

But, I will try to satisfy your request even though there is a low likely hood that you will feel the answer.

SWA requested the extention. Swapa agreed and the AAI MEC did not (shocker). SWA, and most would agree, a negotiated settlement is better for the company than the unknown potential of an arbitrated one.

All sides are respectfully following the process agreement. No contract showed be in stone if there are mutual beneficial needs that are discovered.

Why not answer my questions regarding the Northwest/Republic arbitration?
It appears that you want to change the subject because you know it was very unfair to a large group of Republic pilots. You seem to know so much about what we should do and what is fair for all but at the same time you dismiss what happened on your very own property. I see you were on the Dc10. Perhaps you yourself benefited personally from that fair and equitable arbitration? What was your hire date? Maybe your story could alleviate a lot of the "fear" as you call it from the SWA guys. But then again...it may also scare the crap out of the Trannies.....

Why not answer my questions regarding the Northwest/Republic arbitration?
It appears that you want to change the subject because you know it was very unfair to a large group of Republic pilots. You seem to know so much about what we should do and what is fair for all but at the same time you dismiss what happened on your very own property. I see you were on the Dc10. Perhaps you yourself benefited personally from that fair and equitable arbitration? What was your hire date? Maybe your story could alleviate a lot of the "fear" as you call it from the SWA guys. But then again...it may also scare the crap out of the Trannies.....

That merger is water under the bridge. As I said, the most contentious part was whether or not Republic pilots flew new jets or were fenced off of these jets. I'm not emotional about it...just the facts.

SWA does have a strong hand in arbritration to do better than relative or DOH. AT did have faster upgrades, unique routes (slots) SWA didn't have, and greater growth (relatively of course). SWA payscales and corporate stability is a huge plus. Why all the fear mongering? I understand the desire to steam roll the other pilot group, but they chose option B...let an arbritor decide. Why the SWAPA fear?

That merger is water under the bridge. As I said, the most contentious part was whether or not Republic pilots flew new jets or were fenced off of these jets. I'm not emotional about it...just the facts.

SWA does have a strong hand in arbritration to do better than relative or DOH. AT did have faster upgrades, unique routes (slots) SWA didn't have, and greater growth (relatively of course). SWA payscales and corporate stability is a huge plus. Why all the fear mongering? I understand the desire to steam roll the other pilot group, but they chose option B...let an arbritor decide. Why the SWAPA fear?

When it doesn't make your case it's "water under the bridge"
When it makes your case it's "legal precedent"

Typical ALPA.

You dismiss your "fair arbitration" result as just "an issue of some newer jets"
Not a big deal except they were all much higher paying wide bodies.

The fact that you won't honestly address where you personally fit into this "fair and equitable" arbitration tells me all I need to know. You list the DC 10 on your avatar along with a picture. You most likely benefitted greatly at the expense of the Republic pilots and then you have the balz to come on here and lecture SWA pilots about fairness? Hypocrite.

Latest resources

Back