• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA MEC tells Gary Kelly no thanks..again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An agreement to an arbritrated SL was made if negotiations would not work (which rarely if ever work). Why is SWAPA backtracking on the agreement?

It seems to me SWAPA is trying to bully AT pilots to force them into an unfair list. Why the fear mongering? Why is SWAPA afraid of arbitration? Don't understand.

An agreement was reached with SWA, SWAPA and AT ALPA. Why not follow it? Arbritation time should be coming soon--just get it done! ALPA is following the process and timeline. Again, why does SWAPA fear a fair integration?

An agreement to an arbritrated SL was made if negotiations would not work (which rarely if ever work). Why is SWAPA backtracking on the agreement?

It seems to me SWAPA is trying to bully AT pilots to force them into an unfair list. Why the fear mongering? Why is SWAPA afraid of arbitration? Don't understand.

An agreement was reached with SWA, SWAPA and AT ALPA. Why not follow it? Arbritation time should be coming soon--just get it done! ALPA is following the process and timeline. Again, why does SWAPA fear a fair integration?

Was the red book,green book an arbitrated settlement? (northwest/republic)
Was that fair? Were the Republic pilots happy with that? Those were two ALPA carriers,right? I mean it doesn't go any smoother and fairer when two ALPA carriers merge. Please fill in those of us with fuzzy memories as to the Republic/Northwest merger.

Was the red book,green book an arbitrated settlement? (northwest/republic)
Was that fair? Were the Republic pilots happy with that? Those were two ALPA carriers,right? I mean it doesn't go any smoother and fairer when two ALPA carriers merge. Please fill in those of us with fuzzy memories as to the Republic/Northwest merger.

It was fair per the arbritrator--probably fairer than could be agreed upon by either side.

One side had wide bodies, the other didn't. This led to fences off of the widebody equipment. Other than that, it was a DOH merger.

Sure there was animosity on both sides, which is probably a good indication it was somewhere in the middle.

Does this answer your questions?

ADDED: Most of the issues which came from this merger was new wide bodies addded to the fleet. Were these replacement aircraft (fenced) or new aircraft open to both sides. Being AT and SWA have similar fleets, this won't be an issue. I don't believe AT is trying to fence SWA guys off of their international routes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UALX727
From the AT merger update today:

In addition, Dan Katz, SWAPA counsel Jeff Freund, mediator Dana Eischen, and Southwest Airlines Senior Labor Counsel Joe Harris conferred multiple times via teleconference during the week to discuss various mediation and arbitration schedules. During the exchanges, SWAPA pushed for a delay in the arbitration proceedings, which we opposed. Southwest management offered to extend by up to three months their previously stated desire to conclude the arbitration process by December 31. In the end, the arbitration board accepted our position that the following twelve hearing dates should remain in place: October 11-14, November 14-17, and December 13-16. The parties also agreed to reserve January 31 through February 2 for additional arbitration sessions, if necessary. Arbitration hearings will take place in Washington, with times and places to be determined.

I do not have a dog in this fight but that name would have me checking my six if I was SWA FO. If there is a more experienced smarter labor attorney around I have not heard of them.

Dan Katz represented the Morris pilots.

With out going into all that ancient history, the Morris pilots were none too happy with his results.

It was fair per the arbritrator--probably fairer than could be agreed upon by either side.

One side had wide bodies, the other didn't. This led to fences off of the widebody equipment. Other than that, it was a DOH merger.

Sure there was animosity on both sides, which is probably a good indication it was somewhere in the middle.

Does this answer your questions?

Some animosity? There was a lot of animosity. For years. There were Republic pilot friends of mine who all Vietnam vets, F4's, A4 drivers who were early 70's hires at Hughes Airwest, who still couldn't hold anything but the left seat of an old,broken down DC9 in the late 80's, while guys 20 years younger or more with 84 hire dates at Northwest were left seat in the DC10,757 after being on the property for 5 or 6 years. No big deal. That was fair right?

"this led to fences off of the wide body equipment. Other than that,it was a DOH merger"

Sounds good to me. DOH merger. Fence ATL and the 717's. And rescind the pay upgrade for the 717. Sounds fair to me.

Also, you might want to expound a little further as to the animosity on BOTH sides of Republic/Northwest. Why were the Northwest pilots upset? I realize if you actually put it out there, it may expose the hypocrisy of many ALPA pilots in general and more than a few ALPA pilots on this forum from other airlines in particular. There is that darn "Emperor with No Clothes" again.

Last edited:
My bud at SWA tells me that Dan Katz wasn't AAI's first choice either, it was Jeff Freund but SWAPA already had him on retainer.

My bud at SWA tells me that Dan Katz wasn't AAI's first choice either, it was Jeff Freund but SWAPA already had him on retainer.

And Dan Katz wasn't AAI's second choice because Swapa have them on retainer also. (can't remember the name)

Dan Katz was the third and basically last choice in the pilot seniority integration game.

I do not have a dog in this fight but that name would have me checking my six if I was SWA FO. If there is a more experienced smarter labor attorney around I have not heard of them.

He got a great deal for the JA guys in the JA/AS merger.

Dan Katz was the third and basically last choice in the pilot seniority integration game.

You wish.

Latest resources

Back