ALPA endorses Clinton

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not Answering Question!!!!

Gee, it's a good thing you edited that post for punctuation. Wouldn't want to distract everyone from the horrendous spelling and grammar. :rolleyes:

Ok PCL 128 dude,if you can get off the Kool-aid long enough,the question is still there,How to make the Social Security Trust Fund SOLVENT in these times??

Ok PCL 128 dude,if you can get off the Kool-aid long enough,the question is still there,How to make the Social Security Trust Fund SOLVENT in these times??
Well, "dude," we can start by doing what Obama suggests: eliminating the cap on the payroll tax so everyone has to pay their fair share. Right now, anyone making over $97.5k isn't paying tax on the amount above that. He also suggest requiring employers to provide a retirement fund in the form of a 401(k) or IRA. That would get Americans on the way to providing for their own retirement rather than depending on the government.

Well, "dude," we can start by doing what Obama suggests: eliminating the cap on the payroll tax so everyone has to pay their fair share. Right now, anyone making over $97.5k isn't paying tax on the amount above that.

In other words raise taxes.....I thought you said Obama wasn't going to raise my taxes......

PCL_128 said:
He also suggest requiring employers to provide a retirement fund in the form of a 401(k) or IRA. That would get Americans on the way to providing for their own retirement rather than depending on the government.

Gee where have I heard something similar......Oh yeah....Bush tried to go more towards private retirement plans.....The Obama's and Hillary's in Congress killed that.....

In other words raise taxes.....I thought you said Obama wasn't going to raise my taxes......
Obama isn't going to raise your income tax rates. This is the SS tax, commonly called the "payroll tax." Upper income earners have been getting a free ride on the payroll tax for years. While middle-class Americans pay payroll taxes on all of their income, those making over $97.5 are basically getting a tax discount. Ridiculous. I doubt you're making much more than $97.5k per year as an ATR Captain anyway.
Gee where have I heard something similar......Oh yeah....Bush tried to go more towards private retirement plans.....The Obama's and Hillary's in Congress killed that.....
This isn't the same thing. This plan requires employers to provide retirement accounts, rather than having the government set up accounts for everyone. Seems even more conservative to me.

No...but when education, healthcare and retirement are not protected by free market capitalist then the reprecussions become rights violations...

1. There isn't a Constitutional right to be protected from your own bad decisions.....We are contributing to the problem when we teach people to rely on govt. to solve problems that they created.....

2. You are assuming that public "education, healthcare and retirement" will protect people.....A simple look at public education, social security, and medicare indicate that when the federal government takes something over, it is far from perfect....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You are simply amazing....

Sorry Rez.....some of us don't look to the government to solve our problems....Many times the government simply makes things worse....at a higher cost....

Free market capitalism isn't perfect.....but it is often better than the government alternative.....

Obama isn't going to raise your income tax rates. This is the SS tax, commonly called the "payroll tax." Upper income earners have been getting a free ride on the payroll tax for years. While middle-class Americans pay payroll taxes on all of their income, those making over $97.5 are basically getting a tax discount. Ridiculous.

More liberal fuzzy math.....Everyone pays the same....We all pay it on the first 97,500 of income....and nobody is paying it on income above that.....In addition, those of us who make more have to pay a higher percentage of income in taxes.....We already pay more because we make more.....Then we are penalized with a higher percentage.....

Taxes are taxes....regardless of whether you want to call them "income taxes" or "payroll taxes"....They are both "income taxes".....

PCL_128 said:
I doubt you're making much more than $97.5k per year as an ATR Captain anyway.

I will make about $112,000 this year, so it will be a tax increase for me......for a program that isn't actuarily sound......Forgive me if I'm not happy about paying more for another failed govt. program....

PCL_128 said:
This isn't the same thing. This plan requires employers to provide retirement accounts, rather than having the government set up accounts for everyone. Seems even more conservative to me.

If you place the burden on employers, then that money will come from somewhere else in the benefit package.....A better solution is more individual accounts combined with tax deductions and tax free growth......

Raising Of Taxes

Well, "dude," we can start by doing what Obama suggests: eliminating the cap on the payroll tax so everyone has to pay their fair share. Right now, anyone making over $97.5k isn't paying tax on the amount above that. He also suggest requiring employers to provide a retirement fund in the form of a 401(k) or IRA. That would get Americans on the way to providing for their own retirement rather than depending on the government.

Ok dude,let me get this straight,YOU say raise TAXES on people and Obama's suggestions will be enacted into LAW because Obama says so??
It seems like you figure on the Congress just to lay down for the guy!!!Let's wait and count the VOTES,your boy,Sen no-experience Obama hasn't won yet!!
It would seem to alot of people that you're living in a dream-world!!

Last edited:
More liberal fuzzy math.....Everyone pays the same.
Now that's fuzzy math. Examples:

Middle-class pilot making $65k per year pays $4,030 per year, or a flat 6.2% of his income into the SS program.

Middle-class pilot making $97,500 per year pays $6,045 per year, or a flat 6.2% of his income into the SS program. This is the absolute max that can be contributed under the current scheme.

Now, upper-class executive making $400k per year pays the same $6,045, or just 1.5% of his income into the SS program. He makes $302,500 more than the previous pilot (a 310% difference), but pays a fraction of the percentage that the pilot pays into the SS program. This is a direct tax on the middle class and poor, while the rich practically get a free ride. Unconscionable.

Under Obama's plan, everybody pays the same 6.2% of their income, whether they make $50k or $500k. Now that's fair.
If you place the burden on employers, then that money will come from somewhere else in the benefit package
For many Americans, there is no benefits package!!! That's exactly why we have to have these ridiculous programs like SS and Medicaid. Employers don't treat their employees like human beings, so the government has to pick up the tab to make sure there's a safety net. Otherwise you end up with a huge burden on society from homeless elderly and sick lower-class workers. If companies like WalMart had to provide these programs for even the lowest-paid employees, maybe the government could get out of the retirement savings business.

Ok dude,let me get this straight,YOU say raise TAXES on people and Obama's suggestions will be enacted into LAW because Obama says so??

It seems like you figure on the Congress just to lay down for the guy!!!
Hate to break it to you, but there's going to be a significant Dem majority in both the House and Senate next year. A Dem President will get little resistance in getting these things done.

You don't get it PCL....If you make more, you already pay more....Most taxes are paid by those who make the most money....That is a fact.....

If ALPA operated with your logic, then those who make more within ALPA should pay a higher percentage of dues.....A senior Delta or United captain would pay 3.5% in dues, while a regional FO would pay 1% in dues.....would that be fair?

Latest resources

Back