• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

747 Splits in Two on T/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you and waiting to see what the results will be after the investigation, but suggesting structural failure that causes an airplane to come to a stop in two pieces miraculously close to each other off the end of the runway... And because of it's age? Get a grip.

I got a good grip thank you. I was using that as an example to point out that we don't have any facts yet. Those birds are old and yes, their maintenance is excellent.

Yes, and no. What other damage have the birds done to the wing ie the LED's and TE Flaps? Yes you have gone passed V1 but it doesn't mean the aircraft can fly. Tough choice, lessons to be learned and information culled through when it is released by the NTSB.

Ok. So you are saying you agree with me.

Hell, in my example I bet you would be under Vmcg. You would probably loose directional control if two on one side quit. V1 only gurantees Vmcg for the loss of an outboard engine, not both out on one side. The point is, two out on one side after V1 but before Vr is a real bad place to be.

Look familiar? It appears that the mid fuselage on the classic is signigicantly stressed in an RTO (max braking?) even without a runway excursion.

No. It doesn't look familiar. Aside from the fact that it's not in the same place, it's a different aircraft, different incident, and has no bearing on this incident.

Given that no information is available thus far, given that many of the personnel who are to be involved in the investigation are just now arriving, and given that the aircraft is being defueled for the investigation to get underway in earnest tomorrow...a picture taken of "airliners.net" doesn't do much to give any insight whatsoever regarding this incident. Especially as neither you, nor anyone else here knows if the aircraft was airborne, if the takeoff was rejected, or anything at all for that matter, regarding what actually occured.

Rather than speculating based on what you see in a picture of another airplane (different airplane, differnt location, different circumstances, different terrain)...stick to the facts and wait for some to come out.

No. It doesn't look familiar. Aside from the fact that it's not in the same place, it's a different aircraft, different incident, and has no bearing on this incident.

Given that no information is available thus far, given that many of the personnel who are to be involved in the investigation are just now arriving, and given that the aircraft is being defueled for the investigation to get underway in earnest tomorrow...a picture taken of "airliners.net" doesn't do much to give any insight whatsoever regarding this incident. Especially as neither you, nor anyone else here knows if the aircraft was airborne, if the takeoff was rejected, or anything at all for that matter, regarding what actually occured.

Rather than speculating based on what you see in a picture of another airplane (different airplane, differnt location, different circumstances, different terrain)...stick to the facts and wait for some to come out.

Wow, kinda harsh, isn't it? I think all he was getting at was that a 747 classic could potentially go through a lot of stress in various situations. And one of the areas that might see the most amount of stress (for whatever reason) in the area pointed out.

Maybe, if you abort a takeoff, or are just plain hauling a$$ and go offroading in the process (or whatever happened here), maybe that is the first area that is going get compromised structurally.

Wow, kinda harsh, isn't it? I think all he was getting at was that a 747 classic could potentially go through a lot of stress in various situations. And one of the areas that might see the most amount of stress (for whatever reason) in the area pointed out.

Harsh, no. Is there a similiarity between the damage in the picture, and the Kalitta mishap? No. Is the location on the aircraft the same? No. Why even compare the two?

No doubt the aircraft experienced stress. That may account for the damage (don't you think?). You do well for stating the obvious.

What the picture and it's introduction does is misdirect; it's superfluous and irrelevant to the conversation, and to this mishap. Two damaged airplanes, and that's the only real similiarity. What the poster did was introduce a picture and suggest there's a trend...except that the fracture in the fuselage isn't even in the same place...what trend? Familiar? No. Not even close.

maybe that is the first area that is going get compromised structurally.

If it were the same area, it might be relevant...but it's not.

Harsh, no. Is there a similiarity between the damage in the picture, and the Kalitta mishap? No. Is the location on the aircraft the same? No. Why even compare the two?

No doubt the aircraft experienced stress. That may account for the damage (don't you think?). You do well for stating the obvious.

What the picture and it's introduction does is misdirect; it's superfluous and irrelevant to the conversation, and to this mishap. Two damaged airplanes, and that's the only real similiarity. What the poster did was introduce a picture and suggest there's a trend...except that the fracture in the fuselage isn't even in the same place...what trend? Familiar? No. Not even close.

If it were the same area, it might be relevant...but it's not.

If you don't relax, you might soil your drawers.

Latest resources

Back