• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

747 Splits in Two on T/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rather than speculating based on what you see in a picture of another airplane (different airplane, differnt location, different circumstances, different terrain)...stick to the facts and wait for some to come out.

I'm going to speculate on what I've heard thus far and pictures of 747's I have seen on airliners.net and speculate that maybe they had a dual engine failure past V1, went off the runway, and back on, knowing the acft was not flyable, did a damn good job of getting it stopped without injuring anyone on the acft or on the ground. I am further going to speculate that fire shot from Connie's a$$ when he found out about it.

Just speculating....

I am further going to speculate that fire shot from Connie's a$$ when he found out about it.

Just speculating....

No need to speculate about that.

Geese? I live here and have never heard of geese. Am a member of our Safety Review Group, and one of the agenda items is always bird strikes. BRU is not a place prone to bird strikes.

Went over today to have a close-up look at the aircraft. There is a roughly 5 feet drop on the overrun area, it has been estimated the aeroplane were on the fast side of 60kts when it went over that drop. That'll kill any fuselage, and I'd venture the suggestion this is what caused the break-up.

Furthermore, heard through the rumours mill that tower saw flames shooting out of one or more engines during the take-off roll and reported same over the radio to the crew. At the point where the information was passed on, according to the opinion of the air traffic controllers the aircraft would most likely be past V1. Based either on the info passed from tower, information from instruments or "seat of pants", or both, a RTO was called for and carried out.

One could argue it was a successful RTO as nobody was killed. The rest is just bent or broken metal - replaceable.

Does Connie still does his own engine overhauls in Oscoda, Michgan?

Our motors are built by NASA. Because of our nature of flying and extreme conditions we operate. We get very special training to be able to handle them.

Thanks for your concern.

Rather than speculating based on what you see in a picture of another airplane (different airplane, differnt location, different circumstances, different terrain)...stick to the facts and wait for some to come out.
Why are you upset that this has prompted a discussion? Are you aware that this is an internet message board?

Discussing and speculating the events surrounding an incident is not at all an unprofessional thing to do. In fact, aircraft accident investigators must make assumptions and use speculation to lead them to the facts. We can refer to these assumptions and speculations as a process of thought that leads them to their final report. This also helps us rule out what is not fact. If you think that the NTSB doesn't sit around a table for months after an accident or incident and speculate or make assumptions based upon fact, then you are down right crazy.

Our discussion of this incident might lead to one or more of our lives being saved in the near future. Try to remember that when you choose to participate since you have already made your own assumptions and speculations on the incident thus far.

Avbug - by introducing the photo and comparison I was only suggesting tht an RTO introduces a large amount of stress to the airframe. The point was made to counter any argument earlier in this thread that age of the aircrarft was the cause of the breakup. If you thought I was claiming to have solved this investigation you were reading way too much between my lines.

For those who think age was a factor - I'd suggest avoiding NW's DC-9 fleet, which is older that Kalitta's classic fleet with way more cycles.

No, I'm talking about Belch, he's on the -400 as of recently...

Guys, thanks for the concern...W2B, we have to get together sometime when the rules allow you an adult beverage or three!

No, was not me, but the crew is okay...

Unlike Countbat-you see, he doesn't so much have need of a career since the frontal lobotomy!

I especially liked the way you managed to blame the POTUS for this also...GWB has time in his busy day to make sure that Connie stays in business. I bet he wakes up in the middle of the night worrying about it!

Yeah, right! If he gave a shart about any airline fuel wouldn't cost what it does!

Give us a break Countbutt...

Go back to your conspiricy books and leave the professionals alone, or I'll get Ozzy to finish off the lobotomy and bite your head off!

The dust hasn't settled yet and the online aviation wizzards have come out from under their rocks to dazzle themselves in the radiant glow of their own enormous wild arse speculation and fingerpointing...what a crock of fecal matter!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back