Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT forces 47 PAX to sleep aboard aircraft in Rochester, MN?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you will have an emergency in the next 5 minutes when you blow the slides
That certainly would be an emergency on a 145. :laugh: Joking aside, I agree completely.

I just want to point out a few things that people are missing in their attacks on this crew:

1. No bus could be chartered
2. The crew would have been illegal to fly anywhere.

That said, this was a horrible, horrible display of professional leadership. I fully agree that the plane could have been taxied over to an FBO and been disembarked there. In the first hour, I could have called a number of local hotels to verify availability (sorry, my regional wages don't allow me to buy everyone rooms and wait for company reimbursement), and called a few local cab companies and had drivers sent out to take the passengers to their hotels. Once such arrangements were made, I would then let everyone off, letting them know full well what the plan was, and told them what time to report to the airport in the morning if they intended to continue to MSP on this aircraft. I would then tell dispatch exaclty what time the passengers were returning, and to decide whether or not they wanted this aircraft or a bus to move the passengers in the morning.

Sometimes YOU have to dictate and step on some toes to get the right thing done. Let TSA figure it out in the morning. If passngers can't get back through securiuty, then send a bus.

An FBO can come up with some way to get people down from the door height. One pilot can offload the luggage, and the other can supervise the passengers.

On September 11, 2001, no passengers were forced to stay onbaord a grounded aircraft for 9 hours. All those pilots, regional AND mainline alike, found a way to get everyone off their planes having landed at many offline airports in the process.

The actions of this crew are just plain inexcusable.

I think that every captain upgrade oral exam should have a few situation-type questions where these extreme circumstances are presented. While such the answers given may not be a grounds for failure, it gives the new captains a chance to THINK instead of regurgitate, and to discuss the scope of Captain's authority. The benefit of doing in in an oral is that it puts each captain on the spot, and requires each captain to come up with an answer. Even with prioir knowledge of the questions through gouges, the seeds of though are implanted and will help most captains when the time comes.

I heard the FO was nerjdriver. He was to busy studying the similarities between his 145xr and the Space Shuttle that he lost track of time. Why hasn't that tool chimed in by now?

That certainly would be an emergency on a 145. :laugh: Joking aside, I agree completely.

I guess the E145 doesn't have slides. Do the ATC people know that? They probably do not. Maybe they will rush some people out there to help. Really, that was a bad job by XJT Dispatch, and the crew. Apparently the Delta (or NWA--Mesaba--whatever) operations there at Rochester asked the plane if they needed help with deplaning, and the crew said they couldn't do it.............

Bye Bye--General Lee

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1076398.shtml?cat=1
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1076398.shtml?cat=1

Watch the video and read the story.

In addition there may be more added as the 6pm news added that northwest operations (Mesaba there in rst) in addition to the airport offered to help and someone declined (plane or xjet company?) as they hoped to leave and just like any delay they cascade read above article.

Should of pulled the plug on that one, let everyone off and like it’s been said brush up for the carpet dance. It’s going to happen but that’s why you have a union. Representation and job security from unilateral action. And probably would have amounted to nothing. As it turned out either way you’re going to be dancing and now on the bad side of opinion. It’s about decision making. But you only know how you will act when you are in that hot seat with everything that has or hasn’t been reported or known.

Last edited:
Maybe it should be allowed for pax to assault MORON flight crew?

You wouldn't see this at SkyWest.

You wouldn't see this at [insert airline's name here], I would be so much smarter, yada yada yada, bla bla bla.

Every outfit has weak links and it can happen anywhere!

I'm disappointed the crew didn't have enough concern for the well being of their pax, who entrust their safety and well being in them, to do the right thing and get them off the plane. Very disappointing. Did I say this was disappointing?

We have created an environment where people can't make command decisions and don't know how to make decisions.

We look to the government to help us run our lives because we can't do it ourselves.

We don't value experience...instead we teach "recipe" flying or "cookbook" flying....Lots of books, procedures, etc....

We have too many rules and regulations...probably more will come out of this...This makes people afraid to do anything for fear of "getting in trouble"....TSA, FAA, Company, local Barney Fife cops....A quagmire of largely useless regulation that does nothing.....

Common sense has been replaced by rules, regulations, procedures, and 5 levels of authorization....There is something to be said for being a cowboy and doing what is right....

We have created an environment where people can't make command decisions and don't know how to make decisions.

We look to the government to help us run our lives because we can't do it ourselves.

We don't value experience...instead we teach "recipe" flying or "cookbook" flying....Lots of books, procedures, etc....

We have too many rules and regulations...probably more will come out of this...This makes people afraid to do anything for fear of "getting in trouble"....TSA, FAA, Company, local Barney Fife cops....A quagmire of largely useless regulation that does nothing.....

Common sense has been replaced by rules, regulations, procedures, and 5 levels of authorization....There is something to be said for being a cowboy and doing what is right....

Sounds like our old mgmt team!

Trojan

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back