Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT forces 47 PAX to sleep aboard aircraft in Rochester, MN?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Extremely unprofessional.

We need older, higher time captains. Not youngsters who can't assert authority and deal with these situations.

Sounds like our old mgmt team!

Trojan

Very true....I still see it today as far as the "procedures" and trying to go thru OCC for some things that just require you to do what needs to be done and discuss the touchy feely stuff later....Nobody else is there...Do what you need to do and tell eveyone that is what you are doing.

Next time rent a bus for the rest of the way....geniuses

I see everyone pointing at the captain...stop! Yes things could have been handled differently once there and realizing they timed out,but lets start at the beginning of the flight.

The Dispatcher...when planning the flight, did MSP require an alternate? Were Tstm;'s in the TAF? If yes, why in the heck did the dispatcher choose RST, and on the last flight of the night. DSM or OMA are the closest CO stations.

Okay so let's say, flight is full, if OMA or DSM was used and any hold fuel, bumped passengers, oh well, SAFETY OF FLIGHT and AWARE OF ALL WEATHER SITUATIONS!

Trust me I work for a carrier who flies for CO and we do MSP and RST will only be used has a paper alternate, if weather situation looks like a diversion could happen, then OMA or DSM, or have even used MKE or MSN for flights coming from the east.

This situation started long before the flight diverted, this started when the flight was planned poorly for the weather conditions forecasted for MSP that night...PLAIN AND SIMPLE, leaving the crew no choice but to set the flight down in a poor choice has an alternate.

Captain should have questioned all this before departure

I see everyone pointing at the captain...stop! Yes things could have been handled differently once there and realizing they timed out,but lets start at the beginning of the flight.

The Dispatcher...when planning the flight, did MSP require an alternate? Were Tstm;'s in the TAF? If yes, why in the heck did the dispatcher choose RST, and on the last flight of the night. DSM or OMA are the closest CO stations.

Okay so let's say, flight is full, if OMA or DSM was used and any hold fuel, bumped passengers, oh well, SAFETY OF FLIGHT and AWARE OF ALL WEATHER SITUATIONS!

Trust me I work for a carrier who flies for CO and we do MSP and RST will only be used has a paper alternate, if weather situation looks like a diversion could happen, then OMA or DSM, or have even used MKE or MSN for flights coming from the east.

This situation started long before the flight diverted, this started when the flight was planned poorly for the weather conditions forecasted for MSP that night...PLAIN AND SIMPLE, leaving the crew no choice but to set the flight down in a poor choice has an alternate.

Captain should have questioned all this before departure

You started by telling people to stop pointing fingers at the captain....and finished by pointing fingers at the captain.:rolleyes:

Extremely unprofessional.

We need older, higher time captains. Not youngsters who can't assert authority and deal with these situations.

I guess my age of 35 and 9200 hours as a "regional" captain is too low? How much flight time do you think is good? over 10,000 hours? Maybe a minimum of 7500 to upgrade. how about having a least 5 weather related diverts first?

Incompetence comes at all ages.

at least we are not reading about a crew who had been pushing their duty limit and had company pressure to land in MSP all while encountering windshear and ending up in a ball of fire short of the runway

I think the problem was that RST is not a Continental/XJT station. RST is only served by NWA(connection) and Eagle. And i doubt their employee's would have gotten out of bed to take care of the flight.
According to the MSNBC article:
Passengers on another flight that had been diverted to the airport in Rochester, Minn., because of storms were allowed to disembark, and were put on a bus that would take them the remaining 85 miles to Minneapolis. And the terminal, where passengers could at least stretch their legs, breathe fresh air and use the vending machines, was a mere 50 yards away.....50 passengers on that plane were placed on a bus and made it to Minneapolis by 1:30.
[Airpoort manager] Leqve said the Delta manager in Rochester offered space on the bus to Continental, which declined.

The age, sex and experience of the captain have no relevance. Some people can make command decisions and some can't.

Latest resources

Back