Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT forces 47 PAX to sleep aboard aircraft in Rochester, MN?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just have trouble believing that with a plane load of people and 3 crew members, there was not 1 person assertive enough to get anything done.

I agree!!
Three people, probably three cell phones, two vhf radios, Captain's authority, an FBO, and Northwest offering help (according to CNN)... INEXCUSABLE that this Captain did not figure something out.

This is the kind of event that would warrant a phone call to the President of XJet at no matter what hour. Are we missing something?!??!!? If there were no airstairs at the airport, then a stack of milk crates would work. Sheesh. I am bewildered.

See, now if this flight was operated by MESA the PAX would have purple boards to put across the seats so they can camp in the aircraft with the crew. No deplane, no problem. :)

Last edited:
How about 121 carriers can not have alternates listed on the paperwork that will not have full services (TSA included) available if they have to divert.......
In some cases, the FBO Gas 'N' Go is a really great, and often faster, option. It just requires a little encouraging, sometimes persuasive, communication between your OCC and the FBO. If nothing else, you can...in most cases...at least pick up gas to go back to your origin station.

I'm just not sure how this kind of thing can happen unless there is some serious failures in DRM/CRM and communication breakdowns between dispatch and the captain. Not to throw all pilots under the bus, but this is the kind of thing we typically see when a captain makes a non-emergency, Captain's-Authority decision to divert to wherever they choose without using his/her resources (i.e., dispatch) to determine the best options for pax handling and flight continuation.

Ask any dispatcher...we've all seen cases where the captain (again, I emphasize, in a non-emergency/WX situation) gets a little overzealous in making an authoritative decision and goes straight for the first available strip of concrete...with no available services at that airport... when everything they need and more is 20nm up the road.

Last edited:
This is the kind of outcome you get when Management teams at almost all airlines have been successfully working at taking Captain's authority away from them. I know, I know, the FARs state this and that. But when the Cheif pilot makes you do a carpet dance everytime you fart without asking for permission what do we get? I'm generalizing here. We get pilots that are intimidated and afraid of their own shadows! They have successfully made pilots that follow a map and are not allowed to make command decisions, especially on the ground.

The question is why do they do this. They do this so as for you to devalue yourself and to slowly condition you to believe that you are not worth more than any other group, thus, you shouldn't seek better compensation or working conditions (bottom line). A myth you think? I beg to differ. Today, gate agents have way more power than Captains. If you don't comply, a couple of trips to the Chief's office and most fall in line. Other employee groups, especially gate agents have been instructed or conditioned to write up flight crews when their demands are not met. They have effectively become management tools to degrade our expectations.

This may seem off topic. But in reality it is very relative. In a situation where a Captain has to make a dicision, he/she may be more concerned with what dispatch or the Chief pilot may have to say about it than what's immediately necessary for a positive outcome. This is real folks. It's happenning and I've witnessed it and perhaps did it myself to some extent. It needs to be addressed and it needs to fixed.

We cannot continue to feel like our hands are tied in situations like these. Hell, if it takes me dialing 911 on my cell to get my passengers off then so be it! A Captain needs to have the authority to do that if in his/her best judgement that's what it took to resolve the issue at hand.

We get pilots that are intimidated and afraid of their own shadows! They have successfully made pilots that follow a map and are not allowed to make command decisions, especially on the ground.
I'm not disagreeing with your comments, as I agree that Captain's Authority has been eroded a quite a bit over the years (especially with those Nazi gate agents). However, had a proper decision been made prior to diversion, utilizing all the resources at hand, the need to make command decisions on the ground would never been necessary.

We weren't there, we don't know the situation and, thus, we can only speculate...but this reeks of overzealous and uninformed decision making on the part of the captain.

So when the hell is this CA going to come on here and explain her actions? Or why doesn't her FO chime in with an explanation?

The crew on this flight are MORONS.

So when the hell is this CA going to come on here and explain her actions? Or why doesn't her FO chime in with an explanation?

SO true!

I had a problem just like this in the past. i told the co. to let them off and bus them to their destination airport. they took care of it, i watched it happen, then repo'd the plane home. this crew just needed to grow some balls.:angryfire

The Crew and all 47 pax slept on the plane for 6 hours, with a full lav? Come on now IDIOTS. Grow some ballz. Do something. That really is terrible, and both pilots and the stew need to be yelled at. Overnight? Tell Ground Control you need the fire trucks because you will have an emergency in the next 5 minutes when you blow the slides. People will start doing something quick. Talk about a health hazzard. 6 EXTRA (after the divert) hours on a stinky E145? Sheesh. And Expressjet should have known the crew was close to timing out, and should have looked at the MSP forcast. Can you say REROUTE? Take that crew to McAllen, and then the McAllen crew to MSP. Honestly, what a complete bunch of Morons.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back