Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course not, but all employees are subjected to even distribution according to the rules of the SEC. A 18 year captain can only contribute within a certain limits relation to a part time ramper Butte, MT. making minimum wage. SkyWest discovered this error 6 years ago and the most senior pilots received checks in the mail refunding the overstated amount minus interest and was taxed. These captains had to report this on their tax returns and pay the difference. Some of these guys got 6 years of 401K money refunded. The company kept the differnce of course. Before that the company switched 401k managers and the pilots lost monies in tranfer fees. I knew one pilot who lost 80k. The 401K is pathic, you have to wait one year to get in. You only get a 2% match for the first 5 yrs. Then 4% from 5-10 and then a whopping 6% match after 10 years. The pilot group have no control over the plan. They are completely up to the whimes of management. Everyone knows that you have to contribute early and alot to have something for retirement. If the company can get a better deal somewhere else to save acouple of bucks they will transfer the 401k to a different company and there is nothing you can do about it, but pay the fees.

No contract, no protections.

I agree. HCE is a big problem and is currently in the process of being fixed....taken 5 years to get this far. How many more before its fixed i dont know.

This place is not as substandard as you'd like to believe...i've worked at 2 other carriers and this is the best so far. You are not winning any points by calling this place substandard nor are your union friends.

PS i voted for ALPA but since the vote the idiocy of the ALPA members makes me question what i was thinking.

SkyWest does about 80% of the UAX flying, and does about 100 less flights a day as UAX than UA does as Mainline. SkyWest is the single most important regional on that sheet of paper.
I know. Back in 2000 we were the largest United Express Carrier. You could add all the other Express Carriers up and it wasn't as big as we were. When I commuted on United, the United agents thought they owned us. I was bumped off the United jumpseat because back then we were L-3 status by a CO Pilot who was L-2. Since them a we became L-2 then finally L-1. We were L-3 status because of their policy that we weren't a exclusive "United Express Carrier". American Eagle enjoyed L-1 status because the United Jumpseat Chairman commuted on Eagle to ORD. In 1999-2000 SkyWest started a mini jumpseat war on the west coast. SAPA did not fix the problem. Management did because it was their seat and not the pilots.

Last edited:
I agree. HCE is a big problem and is currently in the process of being fixed....taken 5 years to get this far. How many more before its fixed i dont know.

This place is not as substandard as you'd like to believe...i've worked at 2 other carriers and this is the best so far. You are not winning any points by calling this place substandard nor are your union friends.

PS i voted for ALPA but since the vote the idiocy of the ALPA members makes me question what i was thinking.

I worked for other unionized carriers also, and am not anti-union. I also voted for ALPA in the latest election, but I totally agree with you bmpilot...

I know. When I commuted on United, the United agents thought they owned us. I was bumped off the United jumpseat because back then we were L-3 status. Since them a we became L-2 then finally L-1. We were L-3 status because of their policy that we weren't a exclusive "United Express Carrier". American Eagle enjoyed this status because the United Jumpseat Chairman commuted on Eagle to ORD. In 1999-2000 SkyWest started a mini jumpseat war on the west coast. SAPA did not fix the problem. Management did because it was their seat and not the pilots.

Maybe management will fixed it again, because guess who started this little problem UAALPA.

I know. When I commuted on United, the United agents thought they owned us......... Management did because it was their seat and not the pilots.

Maybe, should the UAL MEC decide to do the right thing, with their help, MGMT will decide to fix it again! But, I am not sure that MGMT will work with the UAL MEC.

Last edited:
Well, the jumpseat policy does affect the dispatchers as well. So we all hope this is fixed amicably.

Maybe, should the UAL MEC decide to do the right thing, with their help, MGMT will decide to fix it again! But, I am not sure that MGMT will work with the UAL MEC.

UAALPA was the one that made the policy change not UAL. Oh and by the way UAALPA has decided not do the right thing by fixing it. Thats why this letter was sent out.

Formula 1 [aka, Capt Piehole [self-named]): What's wrong with the industry's pilots. An opinion based on nothing other than stupidity and opinion, and the inability to rationalize an argument other than via a third-grader's tactics. FWIW, even the union UEX pilots didn't sign this letter, though their representation did. You sir, are better categorized as an annoyance rather than having anything germaine to add. You must be a joy to fly with...if a pilot at all. If you've been in this industry as long as you profess in the above post, shame on you--or us, for even reading your posts.

Last edited:
Of course not, but all employees are subjected to even distribution according to the rules of the SEC. A 18 year captain can only contribute within a certain limits relation to a part time ramper Butte, MT. making minimum wage. SkyWest discovered this error 6 years ago and the most senior pilots received checks in the mail refunding the overstated amount minus interest and was taxed. These captains had to report this on their tax returns and pay the difference. Some of these guys got 6 years of 401K money refunded. The company kept the differnce of course. Before that the company switched 401k managers and the pilots lost monies in tranfer fees. I knew one pilot who lost 80k. The 401K is pathic, you have to wait one year to get in. You only get a 2% match for the first 5 yrs. Then 4% from 5-10 and then a whopping 6% match after 10 years. The pilot group have no control over the plan. They are completely up to the whimes of management. Everyone knows that you have to contribute early and alot to have something for retirement. If the company can get a better deal somewhere else to save acouple of bucks they will transfer the 401k to a different company and there is nothing you can do about it, but pay the fees.

No contract, no protections.

There's only a handful that have higher than a 6% 401K match. And many of the ones who don't are union carriers. Explain that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back