Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not a jumpseat war, its a computer error that needs fixing. But i can go coast to coast on a SkyWest or ASA airplane and never set foot on mainline. Harsh reality.

And guess what? UAL pilots can just call up their company and get UAL to put them positive-space into the system, and your pilots won't be able to do a damned thing to stop them from getting to work. Again, who has the leverage here? Not you. The smart UAX Captains will ignore this letter and allow UAL pilots to continue jumpseating.

If you're at one of the F1 gates at ORD you can't go up and check the gate for jumpseaters on 26 minute turns.

Our J/S coordinator has been working on this for a long time and said the UAL MEC was not interested in fixing the problem.

The reason such desperate measure was that all other options have been exhausted.

And PCL, spare us the snide sticking together crap. Did you see the letter? We ARE sticking together on this.

What I don't get is this: the gate agent does not decide who rides the jumpseat. The Captain does. If a mainline pilot and a pilot from my own company come up to me to ride the jumpseat, i'm going to put the guy from my company on. Period. If the gate agents aren't letting you down to the aircraft, maybe the captain or FO need to go to the gate and make sure there aren't any other jumpseaters up there.

I agree with you and it only works when you know that there is one of your own guys.

1. Mesa and United guy show up for my JS. I take Mesa. Trouble is that I don’t find out because of these crazy gate agents at the A gates in IAD. The Mesa pilot can’t get outside to protest.

2. My F.A.s gets bumped for mainline F.A.s but I don’t ever find out about it because the brand new flight attendants in IAD don't know to make an issue.

3. CHQ guy shows up 30 prior. UAL mainline shows up 20 prior. CHQ by my GOM goes because he showed up first. I never find out about it because the CHQ guy never gets the details from the agent that bumped him.

The only fair way is to have the computer code each airline in accordance with their own policy and not the blanket policy of UAL mainline aircraft.

Since learning of this issue each time a UAL mainline pilot shows up I head for the gate to look for my guys. I haven’t had an issue yet but as a commuter who has had to fight for a Mesa JS before I am more than willing to go up and take a look.

And guess what? UAL pilots can just call up their company and get UAL to put them positive-space into the system, and your pilots won't be able to do a damned thing to stop them from getting to work. Again, who has the leverage here? Not you. The smart UAX Captains will ignore this letter and allow UAL pilots to continue jumpseating.

THERE WILL BE NO JUMPSEAT WAR.

Say it with me again:

This letter is posturing, plain and simple. It is going to bring stark and immediate attention to issue at hand and compel UAL ALPA to lean on their management to make the required change to their software. Do you really think these JSCs decided to send this letter out as anything but a last-ditch effort to get changes made?

This entire thread, and the one just like it on APC will have been heightened emotions and mass whining all for naught.

ULTIMATELY THOUGH, responsibility for enforcing proper jumpseat priority lies with each captain. Spend 2 minutes to walk up and check to make sure nobody has been left behind, and if somebody has use the friggin' parking brake until the agent gets it fixed.

USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE - this sh!t isn't rocket science.

We ARE sticking together on this.

Yes, I noticed that you're sticking together with the GoJet pilots. Very interesting.

Say it with me again:

This letter is posturing, plain and simple. It is going to bring stark and immediate attention to issue at hand and compel UAL ALPA to lean on their management to make the required change to their software. Do you really think these JSCs decided to send this letter out as anything but a last-ditch effort to get changes made?

This entire thread, and the one just like it on APC will have been heightened emotions and mass whining all for naught.

ULTIMATELY THOUGH, responsibility for enforcing proper jumpseat priority lies with each captain. Spend 2 minutes to walk up and check to make sure nobody has been left behind, and if somebody has use the friggin' parking brake until the agent gets it fixed.

USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE - this sh!t isn't rocket science.

That's one possible outcome. The other possible outcome is that you'll piss off the very militant UAL MEC and incite a huge jumpseat war because they won't be willing to back down to a bunch of "commuter pukes." Don't bluff if you aren't willing to go through with it and suffer the consequences. Very bad politics.

\... Don't bluff if you aren't willing to go through with it and suffer the consequences. Very bad politics.

PCL's absolutely right. NEVER, EVER, EVER make a threat you aren't willing to carry out. The only thing more stupid than turning this in to a Mexican standoff is the whole dispute in the first place. This is classic division strategy right out of the CEO play book and some of you guys are totally falling for it. We have enough problems right now and loads are super high. Please guys, don't make a bad situation worse.

That's one possible outcome. The other possible outcome is that you'll piss off the very militant UAL MEC and incite a huge jumpseat war because they won't be willing to back down to a bunch of "commuter pukes."

And that would have DISASTROUS effects for all parties involved, mainline and regional carriers alike.

Don't bluff if you aren't willing to go through with it and suffer the consequences. Very bad politics.

Agreed.

I do think these JSCs are fully ready to close their jumpseats to UAL pilots to compel UAL ALPA to get the issue resolved...whether pilots at their respective companies will be unified enough to stand together and actually enforce such a policy remains to be seen.

How would you tackle this if you were them, PCL?

It's not a jumpseat war, its a computer error that needs fixing. But i can go coast to coast on a SkyWest or ASA airplane and never set foot on mainline. Harsh reality.

You can also go coast-coast on the most friendly JS-airline in the biz; SWA...

Hell, I'd rather fly backwards in their club seating then up front of a UA B757 listening to 2 pilots piss and moan about management (not that they dont deserve to be pissed and moaned about), or union crap...

BTDT - will never do that again...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back