Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's see, the UAL JSC threatens UEX to change their jumpseat priority and this is seen as a professional request, and yet the UEX threat to protect their own jumpseats for their own people is seen as immature. Double standards all around for the UAL JSC!

That's really the only logical answer to this situation. Just fix the glitch. How hard can it be.
If it's so easy then why don't one of you boys step up and solve the problem? Do you really think starting a war with the UAL pilots will leave UAX pilots unscathed? The situation sucks but threats to the UAL pilots is going to do nothing more than piss them off, we have our own issue's we are trying to deal with. If we could snap our fingers and things were fixed then we would be living a great life.

That's really the only logical answer to this situation. Just fix the glitch. How hard can it be.
If it's so easy then why don't one of you boys step up and solve the problem? Do you really think starting a war with the UAL pilots will leave UAX pilots unscathed? The situation sucks but threats to the UAL pilots is going to do nothing more than piss them off, we have our own issue's we are trying to deal with. If we could snap our fingers and things were fixed then we would be living a great life.

The software has been changed 4 times that I'm aware of and keeps getting worse. The UAL MEC has been asking for super priority since I was a rep 4 years ago, so they back doored it through the software.

This will all go away as soon as pilots have the first seat on their own metal.

You can tap dance all you want, but really is that simple.

Let's see, the UAL JSC threatens UEX to change their jumpseat priority and this is seen as a professional request, and yet the UEX threat to protect their own jumpseats for their own people is seen as immature. Double standards all around for the UAL JSC!

There is always a double standard when dealing with mainline/regional issues....The mainline is supposed to be the master....and now the apprentice is starting to question the master....Master isn't too happy....Too bad.....so sad.....

If mainline pilots didn't feel like they owned the seats.....this wouldn't be a problem...Obviously the computer has been changed several times.....Change it to the right priority and this will go away...Everyone will lose....but I suspect more mainline folks commute on UAX then the other way around....

Can someone produce this letter with actual signatures? Just because some SKW pilot wrote it and put some other airline names on the bottom doesn't mean that each respective MEC signed off on it.

I know that the other MEC's had input on it and signed off on it.

Bingo...we're talking about something in the ballpark of 50 lines of programming code in the UAL reservations system. For any experienced programmer...that would take all of 20 minutes to make the changes.

I understand the need to save money in the current economic environment...but paying a programmer from IT for an hour of overtime to fix the way the system sorts jumpseater priority isn't going to break the bank.

I think this is absolutely true. I don't know much about the computer system, but it obviously benifets UA Mainline pilots in its current state. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think that they would be dragging their feet to do anything about it.

Karaoke performance by UAL pilots to UAX pilots: A dedication.....

Give me time
To realise my crime
Let me love and steal
I have danced inside your eyes
How can I be real

Do you really want to hurt me
Do you really want to make me cry

Precious kisses
Words that burn me
Lovers never ask you why
In my heart the fire's burning
Choose my colour
Find a star
Precious people always tell me
That's a step
A step too far

Chorus:

Words are few
I have spoken
I could waste a thousand years
Wrapped in sorrow Words are token
Come inside and catch my tears
You've been talking but believe me
If its true You do not know
This boy loves without a reason
I'm prepared to let you go
If it's love you want from me
Then take it away
Everything is not what you see
It's over AGAIN

If mainline pilots didn't feel like they owned the seats.....this wouldn't be a problem...Obviously the computer has been changed several times.....Change it to the right priority and this will go away...Everyone will lose....but I suspect more mainline folks commute on UAX then the other way around....

I doubt there will be more mainline pilots losing out on this battle, the battle you all have chosen. I was an express guy, and from what I remember a lot of guys were left behind do to weight restrictions and I always counted on the mainline jumpseat more than express and this was 6 years worth of commuting. If you want to shake your sabers in the air saying we will conquer UAL pilots, then by all means go ahead. However like I stated before, a pilot has the right to his own jumpseat before others, if the computer system is screwed up, then get off your lazy ass and go out and be known to the gate agent, ensure the right guy gets the seat. I did it when I was at express. Besides aren't they express gate agents working your flights? and shouldn't they know the priority on express flights? As a commuter the hardest part of commuting and trying to jumpseat was dealing with the gate agent. Every pilot I have ever dealt with was very accomadating and I don't know anyone that would purposely take a jumpseat that belonged to another pilot. Get up and go up to the gate and provide oversight on the whole process or are you really that lazy that you would jepordize the whole jumpseat priviledge? If so best of luck to you all. I remember after 9/11 when no one could jumpseat except on their own colors, it sucked. I think there are better ways to educate the UAL pilots on this matter rather than threaten us all as a whole, personally it pisses me off. Not one of your jumpseaters have ever stated there was a problem with the system.

Fly2AK,

This is the problem, we didn't choose this fight. I was (as were all of the guys I've spoken to) stunned at the existence let alone the content of this letter. I was aware of the issue, but like most guys I'd think, thought that discussions were on going. The escalating confrontation that has emerged was a complete shock. We were not consulted. I have always been treated with professionalism by UAL crews and must say that I have had great conversations with those crews.
The idea of bumping heads over what is really a non issue escapes me. I have no problem with UALMECs' request for priority. Even if I didn't I can't advocate the denial of jumpseats. It just makes no sense.

Latest resources

Back