Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can tell me, but you have to kill me? No SkyWest pilot had the balls to write that letter. You are not fooling anyone.

Let it be known:

Whereas: I know the guy personally

Whereas: He is a SKYW pilot

Whereas: He co-wrote it..........as did the JSC from the aforementioned airlines (team effort)

Whereas: Putting his name out here does nothing. UAL's MEC knows who he, and the others are.

Whereas: You're talkin outta your ass

I'm not sure the Jumpseat Denial program is the best idea. I mean, United pilots didn't pick the way the system is. But this is what it has come down to, how else do you get your point across? All of the UAX airlines have been begging and negotiation with United for over 9 months now on this issue. I'm a Skywest commuter on the UAX side of operations..and I thought whomever wrote that letter had a pretty large pair to lay it down like that. I wish there were a better way though..

UAX pilots still should've been notified about the letter and what it said. The information campaign and a request for help are good ideas. Those good ideas are lost in the ultimatum that ends the letter. Frustration is not a good reason to start a fight. We should have been consulted prior to the release of the letter. I'll inform and ask for help, but I won't deny jumpseats.

Not a new problem

This has been going on for years. When ACA was still around we had to fight with UA to make sure our guys got on our flights. ORF was especially bad. They got mad because UA cut back the flying and replaced mainline with RJs. Not the ACA pilots fault.
The other problem was the number of jumpseaters allowed. ACA/Indy (and a lot of other LLCs) used to take as many jumpseaters as we had empty seats in the back regardless of airline. We also allowed the seat in the cockpit until 9/11 changed that. And when we had airbuses, we even let pilots ride on the FA jumpseat. We flew a lot of United guys when we were still UEX. Almost never failed that they would thank us for the ride and say that they wished that UA had the same policy. I commuted for four years and saw more than a few UA planes leave the gate with empty seats in the back because they had taken their ONE jumpseater.
I agree that you'll never win a jumpseat war, but why shouldn't the airline's own pilots have priority on their own plane?

This has been going on for years. When ACA was still around we had to fight with UA to make sure our guys got on our flights. ORF was especially bad. They got mad because UA cut back the flying and replaced mainline with RJs. Not the ACA pilots fault.
The other problem was the number of jumpseaters allowed. ACA/Indy (and a lot of other LLCs) used to take as many jumpseaters as we had empty seats in the back regardless of airline. We also allowed the seat in the cockpit until 9/11 changed that. And when we had airbuses, we even let pilots ride on the FA jumpseat. We flew a lot of United guys when we were still UEX. Almost never failed that they would thank us for the ride and say that they wished that UA had the same policy. I commuted for four years and saw more than a few UA planes leave the gate with empty seats in the back because they had taken their ONE jumpseater.
I agree that you'll never win a jumpseat war, but why shouldn't the airline's own pilots have priority on their own plane?

There is an injustice, therefore, there is the letter. Rosa Parks and her actions, all by herself, righted an injustice! Nothing will change without action.

It appears that the UAL pilots benefit under the convolution that exists. Maybe the convolution is by design and scheme. Sometimes, things have to reach a crisis, before there is resolution!

Take a stand, or take a seat--in the gate after the plane has left! Fight for what's right! Don't be bullied or be afraid to stand up!

Had John Hancock and others been afraid to stand up and not sign their name to the Declaration of Independence, an action that was a potential death sentence, we would all still be slaves and governed by the British Throne! Fish and Chips anyone?

Had John Hancock and others been afraid to stand up and not sign their name to the Declaration of Independence, an action that was a potential death sentence, we would all still be slaves and governed by the British Throne! Fish and Chips anyone?

Easy with your Rosa Parks civil disobedience talk.... Are you willing to NOT "ride the bus" as the black community did. What does that mean? Refusing to fly? You gonna do a sick out to get the jumpseat?

Hancock, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, et all, knew they commiting treason to the British Crown, and if unsuccessful they'd hang.

So... what are you really saying?

There is an injustice, therefore, there is the letter. Rosa Parks and her actions, all by herself, righted an injustice! Nothing will change without action.

It appears that the UAL pilots benefit under the convolution that exists. Maybe the convolution is by design and scheme. Sometimes, things have to reach a crisis, before there is resolution!

Take a stand, or take a seat--in the gate after the plane has left! Fight for what's right! Don't be bullied or be afraid to stand up!

Couldn't have said it better....What caused this change? I am hearing a lot of one time ALPA cheerleaders start to change their tune a little...

This unified defense of the UAX jumpseat was accomplished by a group of non-union, ALPA, and Teamsters pilots....without ALPA...I've never seen something so bold from ALPA...

We need more of this type unification....not less....

Easy with your Rosa Parks civil disobedience talk.... Are you willing to NOT "ride the bus" as the black community did. What does that mean? Refusing to fly? You gonna do a sick out to get the jumpseat?

Hancock, Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, et all, knew they commiting treason to the British Crown, and if unsuccessful they'd hang.

So... what are you really saying?

Many are saying the double standard within ALPA/profession of regional pilots being "owned" by the mainline is going to end....Many are willing to cause some civil disobedience to stop this injustice....There will be pain.....But the mainline MECs and ALPA need to realize that the status quo is not acceptable....ALPA doesn't really need to start more fires....They are thin ice as it stands...

One has to wonder if there is any true leadership in ALPA....or are they all like you and PCL128?

We need more of this type unification....not less....
I agree it's nice to see regional carriers bind together for a purpose, but I'm afraid the ultimatum in this letter will serve to drive a further wedge between major and regional pilots. Lets hope that's not the case.

Latest resources

Back