• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To ALL UNITED pilots courtesy of ALL UAX carriers and their pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm an ASA/DCI pilot....But I will stand with my fellow UAX pilots....At least they know how to come together....Something ALPA and Mainline pilots haven't figured out.....

Mainline pilots would never accept not having priority on their own aircraft....Why should the UAX pilots....If the shoe was on the other foot....the mainline pilots would be whining more than a Garrett....

I have been in this position and it was easy enough for me to provide a copy in writing from our FOM what the correct riority was, in addition I got out of the cockpit and provided a little oversight on the whole boarding process, protecting jumpseaters and nonrevs alike. What have you done but toot your own horn, sit in your seat and say I will just block all UAL pilots from the jumpseat? The computer system at US Airways (at least when I was there for 9 years) didn't automatically give the express guys priority on their own aircraft, the gate agents, most of them anyhow, knew how the priority worked and if they didn't was advised by the jumpseating pilot and confirmed with the captain. So don't try if the shoe was on the other foot, because I have worn those shoes and dealt with it just fine. Worst case scenario if your still having trouble call your dispatcher and have them call the gate agent, I have done that and it worked just great. There are better ways to handle this but starting a war amongst pilots isn't the way.

I'm not sure I'm following you. As far as I know, all the agents in those domiciles use United owned computer terminals and links.

quote]

I'll help you follow him. DEN, SFO, LAX and I'll throw in ORD, too, are all UAL domiciles where UAX does a large amount of flying. Express flying that plenty of UAL pilots rely on to get to work.

Fix the problem. Don't start a war. The UAX letter was meant to get UAL's attention. Don't give us this crap about how ALPA doesn't use the jumpseat as a negotiating tool if you plan on denying UAX jumpseats 3 weeks before UAX does if we don't rescind our 'ultimatum'. This wasn't a problem until 9 months ago when UAL and UAL MEC changed the priority on their behalf. Do what's right, and change it back. Don't bull******************** and say UAX management should put up cash to implement the change. UAX management didn't create the problem.

If UAL locks out UAX employees in CASS, no gate agent will be able to let a UAX employee on, even on their own plane. Even if I'm wrong about a couple of gates, the station will pretty much be shut to you.
Are you under the impression that an online company pilot needs to go through CASS to get on their own companies aircraft?

[B said:
trachyte11
[B said:
I'll help you follow him. DEN, SFO, LAX and I'll throw in ORD, too, are all UAL domiciles where UAX does a large amount of flying. Express flying that plenty of UAL pilots rely on to get to work.

Fix the problem. Don't start a war. The UAX letter was meant to get UAL's attention. Don't give us this crap about how ALPA doesn't use the jumpseat as a negotiating tool if you plan on denying UAX jumpseats 3 weeks before UAX does if we don't rescind our 'ultimatum'. This wasn't a problem until 9 months ago when UAL and UAL MEC changed the priority on their behalf. Do what's right, and change it back. Don't bull******************** and say UAX management should put up cash to implement the change. UAX management didn't create the problem.

UAL pilots didn't create this problem so get over yourself. We did not change the priority giving ourselves priority over UAX pilots on UAX aircraft. Do you really think you are going to be able to affect the UAL pilots more than the UAL pilots can affect you? The jumpseat is not there to be used as a bargaining chip or something to start a pilot war over. Your ultimatum does nothing but create more problems.

Last edited:
Are you under the impression that an online company pilot needs to go through CASS to get on their own companies aircraft?

They need to be on the manifest and that is done through UA computers and you need to get by the gate agent and thats the tough part. If UAL managment sends out a policy to block UAX pilots from jumpseating on any Ua flights then UAX pilots won't be allowed down by the gate agents. Do you see how this would all play out? UAL pilots don't write the software all we do is negotiate policy with management. A software issue can only be brought to there attention, we can't fix it, but if UAX pilots are going to deliberately cause UAL pilots to miss a commute to work then don't expect to be able to commute yourselves. As stated in the MEC letter to the pilots reference the new deadline of July 17th. You guys wanted to play this out in a all out pissing contest and thats whats about to happen.

"The UALMEC Jumpseat Committee, United Flight ops and the UAX manager from United are going to convene for a telephone conference on Thursday, July 10, 2008. We will advise these UAX members ONE LAST TIME of the difficulties and limitations associated with resolving these issues. We will also put to rest their beliefs that there are quick solutions as well. At the end of this meeting your jumpseat committee will advise these members that they will have one week from July 10th to rescind their decision to deny jumpseats to United pilots. We will also demand they notify the MEC in writing. If at the end of that week they have not reversed their decision, we will IMMEDIATELY do all within our power to prevent them from obtaining jumpseats on United flights. We will request management to instruct our agents to not process them for a jumpseat or issue them an OMC card."

So tell me how this really helps anyone? It will just continue to put pilot against pilot. You should have first crack at your jumpseat, but there are better ways to make that happen. I have been there and I found better ways to deal with it.

United controls all seats on all its express carriers when they fly for United. Legally. I think you might find out the hard way on this one.

We have control of the gate through our computers and agents, see the post above.

We also purchased every seat in the back long ago through fee-for-departure. You subcontract, we "own" the seats to resell. United, if it chose, could even pull pass privileges for any particular group.
It can automatically give every United pilot a positive space seat. Etc.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, just that is what we are capable of.

Last edited:
And yet, you won't solve the problem... Hmmm

Doesn't look like Egoes will allow any solution to the problem.........

The War will probably happen and both sides will suffer.

Nothing like cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Latest resources

Back