Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Plc-
Just stop. Most of your own guys aren't buying what you're selling

You must not be very bright if you can't figure out that reserve going senior for people who live locally means that more junior guys who don't live locally don't get stuck on a reserve schedule that they don't want. It works better for everybody.

Take a look at a few bid awards to see how junior most reserve still goes.

My original statement that triggered your sage dispensation of knowledge was that reserve lines through the summer only had 12 days off. You twisted it to suit your selfish views. You are a joke, a bad one, but a joke nevertheless.

Reply if you like, but you're just digging a bigger hole (which is appropriate). I won't waste any more time responding to your rubbish.

Not really. It's really more like 20+, because unlike SWA, you don't get used.

No it's not 20+ if you are kept on a tether by scheduling, it's just days that you didn't have to fly an airplane. Also, the reason Reserve doesn't go senior at SWA is because those guys are already getting 19 days off, or more if they choose to give away a trip or two.

No it's not 20+ if you are kept on a tether by scheduling, it's just days that you didn't have to fly an airplane. Also, the reason Reserve doesn't go senior at SWA is because those guys are already getting 19 days off, or more if they choose to give away a trip or two.

With a real reserve system, it's not really a tether. I know this is a difficult concept for the rented mules to understand, so try to keep up. When you have a reserve bucket system with full transparency, you know exactly where you are in the list to get called at any given moment. You can pull up the list, see that you're number twelve to get called with nothing in open time, and know that you've got the day off and can go do what you want. Hardly a tether. Does it still keep you in Atlanta if you're a commuter? Sure. But that's why an airline with a major airline reserve system also has long-call reserve, rather than having the regional airline reserve system that you have. Our long-call guys don't waste time sitting around Atlanta away from home, and they still get the same days off or more than the SWA reserves.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the facts objectively and admitting that your reserve work rules absolutely suck. In fact, it's the only way that it will ever get fixed. But I suspect that you're the type who doesn't give a flying f--- about the junior guys on reserve, and wouldn't even consider giving up a five cent pay raise to make their lives better.

We have only had this system for what, a year and a half? And only since we have been owned by SWA. Prior to that Airtran reserve system sucked and was worse than my prior regional by far. URP'ing, 10 days off, they could change your reserve periods, put you into rest in the middle of the day to fly standups, reserve in other bases, fly it and grieve it, just to name a few of the stellar parts of the contract. Plus we have twice as many people on reserve. I like how we have amnesia to the contract we were operating under at date of purchase.

We have only had this system for what, a year and a half? And only since we have been owned by SWA. Prior to that Airtran reserve system sucked and was worse than my prior regional by far. URP'ing, 10 days off, they could change your reserve periods, put you into rest in the middle of the day to fly standups, reserve in other bases, fly it and grieve it, just to name a few of the stellar parts of the contract. Plus we have twice as many people on reserve. I like how we have amnesia to the contract we were operating under at date of purchase.

Secret Squirrel nailed. it. PCL continues to try and agrue that the work rules were better...they weren't. Hopefully he'll actually leave and will never see what a great place SW is. Those guys I've meet that have transistioned so far have been awesome. I get interesting responses from the guys on the JS when I mention his name. They finally filled me in on the recall.

Yikes! Flashbacks........ as a side note to this "bang our head against a brick wall," debate. Remember that two of the three scheduling masterminds behind this are now entrenched in Dallas in the same capacity.

With a real reserve system, it's not really a tether. I know this is a difficult concept for the rented mules to understand, so try to keep up. When you have a reserve bucket system with full transparency, you know exactly where you are in the list to get called at any given moment. You can pull up the list, see that you're number twelve to get called with nothing in open time, and know that you've got the day off and can go do what you want. Hardly a tether. Does it still keep you in Atlanta if you're a commuter? Sure. But that's why an airline with a major airline reserve system also has long-call reserve, rather than having the regional airline reserve system that you have. Our long-call guys don't waste time sitting around Atlanta away from home, and they still get the same days off or more than the SWA reserves.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the facts objectively and admitting that your reserve work rules absolutely suck. In fact, it's the only way that it will ever get fixed. But I suspect that you're the type who doesn't give a flying f--- about the junior guys on reserve, and wouldn't even consider giving up a five cent pay raise to make their lives better.

What you see as working like rented mules others see as an efficient reserve system. At SW reserve is essentially a build-up line where you can fly a lot and make decent money, still with a decent number of days off. At AT, unlike SW, you have a huge percentage of your pilots on reserve which is why better reserve rules are more important. The AT reserve rules are better I will give you that but I would rather have 12% of the pilots on reserve and sub-par rules then 25% of the list on reserve with better rules. The biggest problem with reserve at SW now is that it takes so long to get off of it for the guys at the bottom because the company is not growing. I hope once this integration gets done and things get back under control that growth returns, this will help everyone. That was supposed to be the purpose of this whole deal.

You like reserve because you almost never fly and the extra money isn't worth it to you to have to work more, I get that. The difference between At and SW is that one uses it's crews very efficiently and the other is tremendously inefficient. Obviously some of this is caused by the transition and shrinkage of AT. You have a good gig at AT and I understand that, SW is not a good place for pilots who don't want to work some hard days to make their money.

I also understand your unhappiness at probably having to start commuting if you transition, that is a major QOL reduction and I wish that didn't have to happen to anybody on either side. I can certainly understand that if you don't need the money the hassle may not be worth it. I hope we see the day where there are more bases and/or the increasing of the size of the more popular bases to get as many people living in a base they like as possible. That may be the biggest QOL factor of all and with a single aircraft type SW has some unique opportunities to create a one-of-a-kind basing system if they choose to do it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back