Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong. The problem is that you only place value on money. I place value on QOL and other intangibles. To me, a career at SWA was pretty much devoid of value. That's why I never applied. I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases. To me, that made a career at SWA worthless. Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with. That's not to say that it doesn't have value....to someone else. It just doesn't have any value to me. AirTran, on the other hand, did.
I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases.

You do realize there is an Atlanta base, right?

To me, that made a career at SWA worthless.

You do realize there is an Atlanta base, right?

Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with.

You do realize that we are an airline that does not have a monthly minimum that must be flown, right? You can drop all or some of your schedule and fly as much or as little as you care to.

What seniority list would not fit the definition of "screwed" to you? And please be specific. Where would you be on the list.

Every angry tran I know can't answer that question or reveals their unrealistic expectation which drive their unhappiness more than anything.

Air Tran has some ownership in this. You're playing a revisionist history

LOL,

I will be your Huckleberry.

5%-15% increase. In the middle of the list pilots lost upwards of 35% seniority. As you move up and down the list from the middle that 5%-15% can get less.

I consider this a conservative number because mainstream opinion is that an arbitrator would have give us at the max a 12% average lose in seniority. Not an average of 22%. When I say mainstream I mean what others say looking in. Your piers.

Much of the anger now is how SWA management is handling things after the agreement. And that would be all the violations of it.

Also what we are seeing is the theme of this OP verified.

Max is a colossal ****************************** bag.

I would not be surprised to see a lawsuit filed against him (personally) for his conduct post-SLI. and his irresponsible public disclosure of proprietary and confidential information he was entrusted with.

Not surprised, at all.

Wow-ouch!

The problem here as many see it is there was a process agreement that was agreed upon by everyone prior. Had management stayed out of it, like in the only successful merger and SLI so far, it probably could have gone a lot smoother. You can't disrespect one side. Sure, one side was bigger and brought more to the table, but that side disregarded EVERYTHING the other brought, and thought "They will thank us for stapling them..... No 737 Capt slots for you....." I still don't understand that one. DL didn't kick NWA guys off their own 757s, they TRUSTED them to fly to standards. They even allowed each NWA 757 pilot to do actual touch in goes in empty 767s to make sure they felt comfortable. Everyone got a couple landings. That must have been pricey. Oh well, they had a chance to watch it beforehand....

All my opinion, of course!

Bye Bye---General Lee

General
STFU you no nothing go back to your cave and hide and hope no one knows who you really are - a good for nothing worthless piece of something you don't want to step in.

GL.

+1

I would like to thank you and all the Delta pilots I commute with. They have been great during this time. Most verify your position and opinion on how this went down.

No matter which side of this you are on, if you are angry at the other side, they are winning. Trust me, anger holds you hostage to those you are angry at. This was not directed at anyone in particular. :)

+2 jball2

Anyway, the SWA "nuts" culture is alive and well...the senior SWA CPs that Just Thinking flys with are the real lottery winners, unaffected by age 65 and the ISL...they have zero to complain about from a career perspective, so being type A they bitch about the company....they are entitled and have no clue how lucky they are...

they built it they have every right to complain. They made the sacrifices during the hard time. they have a much better perspective on the degradation of the work ethic. They didn't get anything out of this merger either.

Well, I'm completely with you about how LOOONNNGGG this thing is taking- I have no idea why the integration needs to take 3 years-
Other initiatives- ok- but to integrate AT? Why can't we do it faster?- we are doing damage to our culture by dragging this out and I have been vocal about that to people who matter-

As for ISL-
You proved my point- you think it's mainstream to think you could get seniority that improves where you'd be at your date of hire when you got bought by a better company with a superior career- - one where dozens upon dozens gave up all their air tran seniority to start at the bottom while no SWA pilot made the same choice-
Seriously- DOH was your worst case scenario?
Sorry- that wasnt going to happen- cry in your wheaties all you want- it wasnt real.

That unrealistic expectation is the cause of your discontent with the SLI - nothing else- it's an immature greedy viewpoint.

And viewpoints like that do tend to make one less happy.

But I do wish we could get you integrated faster- much faster

LOL,

I will be your Huckleberry.

5%-15% increase. In the middle of the list pilots lost upwards of 35% seniority. As you move up and down the list from the middle that 5%-15% can get less.

I consider this a conservative number because mainstream opinion is that an arbitrator would have give us at the max a 12% average lose in seniority. Not an average of 22%. When I say mainstream I mean what others say looking in. Your piers.

Much of the anger now is how SWA management is handling things after the agreement. And that would be all the violations of it.

Also what we are seeing is the theme of this OP verified.

Last edited:
Wrong. The problem is that you only place value on money. I place value on QOL and other intangibles. To me, a career at SWA was pretty much devoid of value. That's why I never applied. I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases. To me, that made a career at SWA worthless. Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with. That's not to say that it doesn't have value....to someone else. It just doesn't have any value to me. AirTran, on the other hand, did.

In your opinion, Southwest was devoid of value? Your welcome to your opinion but that would probably put you around .0001% that believed anything like that. Like 1 pilot in 10,000. Proven by people that would give their arm, leg, etc to work here. Again, you have a right to that opinion and I respect that.

Southwest has 10 bases (ATL being one of them) to choose from scattered across the country and plenty of choices to chose from. AirTran had 1 real base and two mini-bases basically in the same time zone....MKE being the farthest west base, if you can call that west.

So AirTran was your dream job. Had everything you wanted....live in base, potential quick upgrade, and bad pay and work rules in both seats. I'm sorry your CEO decided to pull the golden parachute and sell you. Thousands of people wish they had your opportunity to be at SW. Good luck in your new career...it will probably be better than being at here and being miserable.

Who says that one was right and the others were not?

Maxduche72 says so, therefore it must be.

This guy is prob the least respected pilot on the AT list right now. Just keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back