Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty, you said it your self, you will be making more as a senior MCO/ATL SWA FO than a reserve CP at SWA, .

That's not what I said.

What I said was that if you and I fly together, I will be making more than you . . . on that flight. . . because if I'm working with you, buddy, it will be for super premium pay. :D

I will not be making more at SWA as a commuting pilot, I'll be making less.

I currently work about 13 days a month, including my commute.

At SWA, if I work 13 days a month, including commute, I won't be making anything like what I make here.

PS., I haven't had to work a Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, or any major holiday in probably five or six years. Something to put in your OAK crack pipe and suck on next Christmas, MJ. ;)

Don't worry Ty.... they will whine and cry no matter what. After you fly with some of the senior RSW pilots you will hear how they have been going downhill for a while now. They also complain about the RSW FO's complaining about having the FAT pilots pushing them down in the seniority list. The senior FO's would have upgraded with the retirements but nowhere near at the rate in the past year and next year (seat grab).
March 2004 hire is Captain in BWI so they are not "super senior" in any stretch of the imagination. They have 500 more to go next year so the Captain list will be chuck full for quite a while preventing any FAT pilots from upgrading.... regardless of their global seniority. Once the upgrades start happening (2017-2019) they (seat grabbers) will be on perpetual reserve and get displaced out of their bases as the FAT upgrades start (unless the negotiating team and GK hook up for another rope a dope.)
They complain about the same things that is complained about in every airline. Have not flown with any prima donnas yet but I have not flown with madjack yet.

JT,

Like most SWA CP, I am not a prima donna, as a matter of fact I am probably too laid back...

Ty, the question is not what you will make next year but over the course of your career...if you had a linear airline career, you got to AAI right out of the military or a regional....you spent 10-11 years at AAI and then the company was sold to SWA...now you will be a 80-85kish SWA FO, which as long as we keep upgrading, will make you a senior FO in ATL come 1/15/2013....You will be SWA FO a few years (not commuting and getting weekends and holidays off) and then let's say 5 years from now, YOU decide you want to be a SWA CP, then, by your choice you will commute to reserve...it sounds to me like you are following a fairly linear airline career...your initially "lateral' move to SWA (AAI CP to senior SWA FO) will be rewarded down the road with an upgrade to SWA CP, you will enjoy an increase in overall career earnings and be part of a stable SWA.

You would be at DL if you wanted to, I feel you do not and you saw an opportunity at AAI and were awarded with a quick upgrade there and a fairly high spot in the SWA seniority list when your company was sold.

You are upset because you did not get what you think you "earned or derserved" or what an arby might have given you. I am not apologizing for the way this went down (I was shocked your MEC turned down SL9 and if you ask me that is where the law suit needs to happen) but your airline career could have gone much worse than it looks like it will, you are a "made" man and you will never have to look for another pilot job again...think how lucky you really are!

Let's face another fact, before the acquisition nobody believed a career at AAI was more valuable then one at SWA...no one, not GL, not PCL, not even you Ty

Wrong. The problem is that you only place value on money. I place value on QOL and other intangibles. To me, a career at SWA was pretty much devoid of value. That's why I never applied. I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases. To me, that made a career at SWA worthless. Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with. That's not to say that it doesn't have value....to someone else. It just doesn't have any value to me. AirTran, on the other hand, did.

Wrong. The problem is that you only place value on money. I place value on QOL and other intangibles. To me, a career at SWA was pretty much devoid of value. That's why I never applied. I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases. To me, that made a career at SWA worthless. Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with. That's not to say that it doesn't have value....to someone else. It just doesn't have any value to me. AirTran, on the other hand, did.

I think this article relates to your dream job. Or maybe your hero, I don't know which.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/labor_big_real_heavy_sleeper_jl3C7gI710FI3XqpEl5o3O

Last edited:
I was shocked your MEC turned down SL9 and if you ask me that is where the law suit needs to happen
119 AirTran pilots have filed a lawsuit dealing with how the MEC conducted themselves during the summer of 2011. Right now we are in the discovery phase (document production and depositions being taken). The truth is trickling out and will be there for everyone to see in a few more months. Here is an email that was entered into the record at a deposition last month:

"As you have probably already heard, your MEC has collectively decided to send this next agreement out for a vote. Incidentally, on AIP1 I was the single rep that voted to send that agreement to the pilots for a vote. That was a decision that I took very seriously and I am disappointed that the rest of the voting body did not agree with my assessment of the gravity of the situation, as I had no intention of EVER gambling with anyone's future without giving them a say in the outcome. Feel free to call if you would like to talk."

- AirTran MEC rep to a line pilot on September 4, 2011

119 AirTran pilots have filed a lawsuit dealing with how the MEC conducted themselves during the summer of 2011. Right now we are in the discovery phase (document production and depositions being taken). The truth is trickling out and will be there for everyone to see in a few more months. Here is an email that was entered into the record at a deposition last month:

"As you have probably already heard, your MEC has collectively decided to send this next agreement out for a vote. Incidentally, on AIP1 I was the single rep that voted to send that agreement to the pilots for a vote. That was a decision that I took very seriously and I am disappointed that the rest of the voting body did not agree with my assessment of the gravity of the situation, as I had no intention of EVER gambling with anyone's future without giving them a say in the outcome. Feel free to call if you would like to talk."

- AirTran MEC rep to a line pilot on September 4, 2011

Who says that one was right and the others were not?

Latest resources

Back