Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kharma Police

Don't mess with Texas
I just finished reading the book "Nuts!" which was a very good and insightful read. I did think it was interesting reading through the chapters and realizing that the airline described in the book specifically the management style doesn't appear to resemble the airline today. Do any "Real Southwest" pilots agree or will I see things vastly different when I'm off to Dallas someday soon for two months?

Last edited:
I just finished reading the book "Nuts!" which was a very good and insightful read. I did think it was interesting reading through the chapters and realizing that the airline described in the book specifically the management style doesn't appear to resemble the airline today. Do any "Real Southwest" pilots agree or will I see things vastly different when I'm off to Dallas someday soon for two months?
The only thing I can say with any certainty is that I bet if you will take a look back in ten years time you will be able to say you much prefer managements treatment of labor at Southwest than at AirTran.

Definitely not the same, but some of the good parts are still there. There are a ton of good people that work in all departments at SW and it shows a lot of times when you really need some help or assistance. Then it makes it sooo easy to help others in their time of need.

I've gotten, and I've given. I don't think there are too many other companies (not just airlines) that are similar. I'm not a koolaid drinker per se, but I've seen some amazing things that I thought would never happen.

Maybe it's what you make it in the end.

The only thing I can say with any certainty is that I bet if you will take a look back in ten years time you will be able to say you much prefer managements treatment of labor at Southwest than at AirTran.

Well, SW and AT management had different answers to the old Machiavellian question, "is it better to be loved or feared?". I hope SW continues with the love approach.....

The treatment AirTran pilots have received thus far can never be undone. No amount of future goodwill by this airline will ever make up for it. Ask me in ten years and I'll tell you the same. The animosity and resentment will not go away. They created it and I'm forced to live with it.

1/3 of the pilots say "I've been kicked in the nuts..." The other 2/3s think "it's NUTS, they all should have been stapled!"

Gotta LUV it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The treatment AirTran pilots have received thus far can never be undone. No amount of future goodwill by this airline will ever make up for it. Ask me in ten years and I'll tell you the same. The animosity and resentment will not go away. They created it and I'm forced to live with it.

Wow-ouch!

The problem here as many see it is there was a process agreement that was agreed upon by everyone prior. Had management stayed out of it, like in the only successful merger and SLI so far, it probably could have gone a lot smoother. You can't disrespect one side. Sure, one side was bigger and brought more to the table, but that side disregarded EVERYTHING the other brought, and thought "They will thank us for stapling them..... No 737 Capt slots for you....." I still don't understand that one. DL didn't kick NWA guys off their own 757s, they TRUSTED them to fly to standards. They even allowed each NWA 757 pilot to do actual touch in goes in empty 767s to make sure they felt comfortable. Everyone got a couple landings. That must have been pricey. Oh well, they had a chance to watch it beforehand....

All my opinion, of course!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
General
STFU you no nothing go back to your cave and hide and hope no one knows who you really are - a good for nothing worthless piece of something you don't want to step in.

General
STFU you no nothing go back to your cave and hide and hope no one knows who you really are - a good for nothing worthless piece of something you don't want to step in.

No opinions allowed, eh?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back