Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also, once the AAI guys that choose to upgrade do so, the RSW guys who got a 2013-2014 upgrade will be stuck on reserve for many years as the hundreds of AAI guys who are actually senior to them start upgrading.

There are many senior RSW FO's that either waited to upgrade, or will upgrade next year. Many of those only have 100-200 AAI pilots that are senior to them, with 180 scheduled retirements by 2015. Those pilots will likely see a wash on their seniority. Of course with the good old SWA vacancy bidding cycle, that could change if there are no CA upgrade classes in 2015. Believe me, age 65 sucked the life out of this place with no Captain vacancy bids for 5 years. Hope we never see that again.

Well, right now, with less than 1/4 of the AAI guys transitioned, you have super-senior AAI Captains sitting at the top of the FO list in all bases; unable to upgrade until 2015, they are pushing all FO's down, instead of spreading the pain throughout the CA list as well. Someone worked the numbers, and said that MCO will largely become manned by former AAI guys. . . . Where will all those RSW pilots flow? To the other bases, of course.

Also, once the AAI guys that choose to upgrade do so, the RSW guys who got a 2013-2014 upgrade will be stuck on reserve for many years as the hundreds of AAI guys who are actually senior to them start upgrading.
Possible.

Just as possible is that as the planes and pilots transitioned over as AT to SWA CA/FO's, those same pilots would push out those same junior guys from MCO/BWI.

The only difference which would be occurring if AT CA kept their seats, is SWA senior FO's would not be CA, AND, more importantly, the end game retirement value would be lower for senior SWA FO's.

When the balloon is squeezed, the other side gets big, same for vacancies, it matters not what side of a fence or non fence or seat lock plan you are on, when your on the squeezed side, you get moved.

Last edited:
It's really a Zero Sum gain right now..

For the AAI guys coming over (that are senior), we upgrade a senior SW first officer. So the FO list really remains the same.....with the exception of where those former AAI guys want to be based.

No crying, I am happy to go back to senior FO, unbelievable life style, my point was with the 88 dc9s gone your CP Seats left the property...ur airline is being dismantled, in reality ur lucky to have a job...this was not my idea, and as far as upgrading, I'm in the left seat regardless of AAI, i was a VERY Sr SWA FO...there are more SWA CPs under me now, and I can thank ur MEC for that...and so can they...u have a tough fight ahead in the DRC and no matter the outcome it's time to move on...

No crying, I am happy to go back to senior FO, unbelievable life style, my point was with the 88 dc9s gone your CP Seats left the property...ur airline is being dismantled, in reality ur lucky to have a job...this was not my idea, and as far as upgrading, I'm in the left seat regardless of AAI, i was a VERY Sr SWA FO...there are more SWA CPs under me now, and I can thank ur MEC for that...and so can they...u have a tough fight ahead in the DRC and no matter the outcome it's time to move on...

Wacky Jack, you wouldn't be upgraded without our 737 airframes that have come over. . . . . So, man up and say "thank you", you putz. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, you can thank me in person,, when they double-deadhead you to provide reserve coverage in MCO. Of course, I'll be making more than you, but you'll have the tiller to "guard". . . . ;)

Last edited:
That is pretty funny Ty, and I do enjoy your banter, and though you are wrong about my situation, it is certainly true for CPs junior to me....

If everyone could step away from their egos for a minute we would realize we are all lucky to have jobs at a major airline...think of the thousands of folks in the regionals and the thousands more in part 91 and 135 land whose careers are anything but linear and they may never see any seat at a major...

Let's face another fact, before the acquisition nobody believed a career at AAI was more valuable then one at SWA...no one, not GL, not PCL, not even you Ty (remember step away fm the ego).... This career is about luck, timing, and making money and going home... The acq of AAI by SWA has not derailed most AAI pilots careers...it was a move up to a more lucrative (career earnings) and more stable combined company (job security)...you may have some AAI pilots who followed a mon linear career path who are older and may have made more career earnings at AAI, but the vast majority of the young AAI pilot force will do better at SWA than at a Stand alone AAI... Don't thank me, thank GK and ur CEO for the deal....

And Ty, if it helps that healthy ego of yours to adjust to being a "lowly" Senior SWA FO for a couple years, thanks for my CP seat!

Ty, you said it your self, you will be making more as a senior MCO/ATL SWA FO than a reserve CP at SWA, probably with a much better QOL to boot...is your ego so huge that you cannot see that the purchase and demise of AAI was a good thing for your airline career? Or is losing that CP seat too big an ego bust??

I don't think you or most of your fellow AAI pilots, really want to roll the dice with the "new and improved DL", their track record of "industry leading compensation" followed by industry downturn and then furloughs/BK and outsourcing is not what I would call stability in this business...make the most of your new career opportunities at SWA, and put thanks where it really belongs, with the 3000 RSW FOs that are taking it in the shorts to make room for the AAI pilots on the SWA seniority list....

Wacky Jack, you wouldn't be upgraded without our 737 airframes that have come over. . . . . So, man up and say "thank you", you putz. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, you can thank me in person,, when they double-deadhead you to provide reserve coverage in MCO. Of course, I'll be making more than you, but you'll have the tiller to "guard". . . . ;)

Through our retirements he would have upgraded.

Latest resources

Back