Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So it has changed from I am no way staying, I am leaving . To now I intend to leave .

Next it will be I am considering leaving .

Then after that, you just decide a long vacation is all you need to show this place .

You are all talk , can't wait to hear your reason that you decided to stay.

Sorry, I didn't intend to imply any sort of ambiguity. I am leaving, it's just a question of the exact date. I'm waiting to see what the schedules look like this fall, as well as waiting for the 2014 vacation award. If I can cram all of my vacation into the first quarter, and the schedules are still pretty decent, then I'll wait until then to leave. If the schedules go to crap or I can't get my vacation time at the beginning of the year, then I'll probably bail before the year is over. Right now I've got a great schedule while getting a decent pay check on guarantee. If that continues, then there's no reason to bail so soon. I'm more than happy to take SWA's money while doing very little work for them. ;)

Loss of seniority at AAI....DOH -2.5-3.5 years but keep longevity, and a free type if u need one, stable future, better contract, more lucrative career, etc, etc....doesn't sound so bad...especially when 65% of the fleet is heading to DL...

Good arguments. I only wish you could have made them to an arbitrator instead of cramming them down our throats.

As for the stable future, better contract and lucrative career...that's a snapshot in time. History is littered with stable, high paying airlines that are now out of business. Seniority isn't amendable...like your CBA. Anyone who's been in this profession for more than a few years understands that, so do arbitrators.

History is littered with stable, high paying airlines that are now out of business. Seniority isn't amendable...like your CBA. Anyone who's been in this profession for more than a few years understands that, so do arbitrators.

That argument also goes both ways. History is also littered with airlines that have come and gone in this post deregulation world. The fact is, it is harder for any post deregulation airline to survive, and it's a proven fact.

I didn't want to commute, and I didn't want to live in any SWA bases.

You do realize there is an Atlanta base, right?

To me, that made a career at SWA worthless.

You do realize there is an Atlanta base, right?

Add in the quick-turn style flying, the high block months, etc., it just wasn't anything I wanted anything to do with.

You do realize that we are an airline that does not have a monthly minimum that must be flown, right? You can drop all or some of your schedule and fly as much or as little as you care to.

You do realize that Atlanta will be and is senior with respect to FAT guys. While we have a lot of commuters, there are a ton of guys that just want to stay in ATL. With ALL FAT guys as SWA FOs, that makes the situation even worse. Yes, ATL is a base but is untouchable for the majority of FAT FOs that want it.

Phred

Maybe Arby would have been worse with the dc9s leaving...but I know, u would rather have a judge dictate, got it...

Where the fek did I write DOH. Can u read? Did you read the whole message cause I spoke about percentages and average gains from arbitration. Actually what most of your piers would consider maximum average loss of seniority.

You do know that DOH would lose most about 20% of AT seniority in many cases much much more - I don't care to look it up now well after- but it's the product of us being older and having lots of pilots hired well before air tran was born-

The only way to get to 12% is to start giving you seniority in excess of where you'd be at DOH-

Btw, I don't know how you know I have piers, but I do at our lake house- and they swear they're just holding down the dock, not spewing out opinions

Btw- great movie
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0KEwWjyDSUKZQLtdKkUIULw&bvm=bv.51773540,d.dGI

Last edited:
Where would it be. Funny. It would still be taking on SWA in major markets and thorn in the side. That my friend is using a crystal ball. Your so called facts are exaggerated in an industry like this that hands investors and employees their shirts on a regular basis. Like I said do your research. Either you don't want the truth or to stupid to understand it. I don't think AAI would be that much of a thorn today. AAI was so strong yet easily sold. You are delusional!!

So better yet tell me where you think SWA is going since you have a crystal ball????????
Your reading comprehension sucks. Facts are PAST tense. I didn't think crystal balls looked backwards. Maybe I should look into a Delorean with a flux capacitor.

I think to compare AT and SWA is like comparing a too ripe banana vs. a sweet perfectly ripe Georgia peach. One maybe has potential while one is juuust right. Or better yet like comparing a torpedo boat to an aircraft carrier. Yes, the torpedo boat can cause some damage and turn on a dime. But, once the aircraft carrier gets turned into the wind, launches the fighters and mans the battle stations, which can take some time, can bring massive firepower to bear on anybody. It can handle much rougher seas and take care of its crew much better than the torpedo boat.

It's also got a lot more seamen in it.

WTF?

You do realize that Atlanta will be and is senior with respect to FAT guys. While we have a lot of commuters, there are a ton of guys that just want to stay in ATL. With ALL FAT guys as SWA FOs, that makes the situation even worse. Yes, ATL is a base but is untouchable for the majority of FAT FOs that want it.

Phred

Exactly. I'd be looking at about a decade to get back to Atlanta as a bottom of the list reserve FO. Not exactly very appealing.

It's also got a lot more seamen in it.

WTF?

Thanks for the morning laugh. :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

It's pretty clear to most of us former AAI guys that AirTran was what SWA had once been- a smaller, nimble and innovative airline.

SWA had become a bloated, legacy version of itself and was getting left behind by the post-bankruptcy era of leaner, lower-cost legacies who are now merging and combining. Southwest HAD to do something; what used to work in the past was no longer working. Buying AAI was a smart, and necessary move.

Unfortunately, instead of taking the best practices of each carrier (like AAI's leaner, more efficient Gate and Ramp operations) SWA chose to do what it does with its airplane- dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator. It's disappointing that it hasn't used AAI to invigorate things, rather than just assimilate us, but those decisions are obviously not ours to make. . . . Hope they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back