Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This seems unlikely. I'm barely able to hold MCO as a captain for next month (I'd be like 3rd or 4th from the bottom), and I've been here about 12-1/2 years. Unless you lost 6-1/2 to 7 years' seniority off your AirTran DOH, you wouldn't be "among 6 year SWA FOs," and simultaneously be able to hold MCO CA if you had your original AirTran DOH.

Not DOH wouldn't have been a much better deal for you (obviously it would), just that your claim is a bit of an exaggeration.

Bubba

You're correct. In my atrophied mind I was thinking about BWI and the bottom of their Captain list. Whilst Florida is technically a part of the East coast. It's not really :D

This may be sacrilege to some, and is only my personal opinion - Even if things had turned out differently and I could have held Captain within the Southwest system; I may have spent a year in the right seat by choice. For me, operational knowledge of an airlines system plays a large part in competence and comfort in the left seat. Or not, depending on your views ....

Bubba, did you fly the military version of the 707 that played with satellites ?

"but hey CP Cleath will square us away,"....................

Maybe you are trying to be sarcastic or funny but GK lost all confidence in the crack team that had failed in their first three attempts to get FAA approval for the international certificate. He was brought in to hopefully expedite the efforts with his experience. You better hope that he is able to accomplish this task because if they don't have it done I don't really think ole GK is going to cease all international operations January 2015 and you will have lost your opportunity to grab some more Captain seats.

"but hey CP Cleath will square us away,"....................

Maybe you are trying to be sarcastic or funny but GK lost all confidence in the crack team that had failed in their first three attempts to get FAA approval for the international certificate. He was brought in to hopefully expedite the efforts with his experience. You better hope that he is able to accomplish this task because if they don't have it done I don't really think ole GK is going to cease all international operations January 2015 and you will have lost your opportunity to grab some more Captain seats.

I had to laugh when I saw the SWA proposed version of ACARS Performance. They basically took the OPC and stuck it on a MCDU screen. Hilarious. It's like inventing the car, then leaving the horse attached to the front. So that horse and carriage drivers don't freak out.

March 2004 hire at SWA is reserve Captain in BWI......... MCO has been shrinking
March 2004 hire at AT is bottom third in BWI as an FO and won't see the left seat for a minimum of 6-8 years at the earliest at best (more like 9-10 years).
Not so much of an exaggeration.

Your point is true for BWI, traditionally a junior base, but not for MCO, traditionally a senior base. The most junior captain there is an early 2001 hire. That was my point. Apparently, Dicko wasn't thinking of MCO when he made the original comment.

And besides, MCO isn't really been shrinking so much as it's always been pretty small, and never grew much ever. It always seems to be up 5 on vacancy bids, then down 5. Repeat. People have been bitching about that for years--long before the AirTran announcement. The bitching has just gotten louder since.

Bubba

Last edited:
You're correct. In my atrophied mind I was thinking about BWI and the bottom of their Captain list. Whilst Florida is technically a part of the East coast. It's not really :D

Guess you're not old enough to have thought of MCO then. When you turn 50 and get solicited by AARP, they remind you that when you retire, the law requires you to move to Arizona or Florida. That's why those bases are so senior. :)

This may be sacrilege to some, and is only my personal opinion - Even if things had turned out differently and I could have held Captain within the Southwest system; I may have spent a year in the right seat by choice. For me, operational knowledge of an airlines system plays a large part in competence and comfort in the left seat. Or not, depending on your views ....

I've wondered about the same thing. I flew with a FAT guy recently (8 years there) whose total experience in a -300 was one leg on his IOE here. Then we had a 3 leg day in a -300. He flew the plane just fine, but he was very uncomfortable without the auto throttles, map, and overall better SA he was used to in a -700. He told me it was a little bit humbling. Especially when we had to hold in the terminal area on his leg.

But to each his own--like you said, it's a personal opinion.

Bubba, did you fly the military version of the 707 that played with satellites ?

Nope. We played with lots of things (ourselves, mainly :) ), but satellites weren't one of them.

Bubba

Last edited:
Global seniority is often a poor reflection of local base seniority. I am a commuter and choose not to fly out of the base closest to my home because a further base affords me close to 20% better local base seniority. In the end Atlanta will be by far and away "mostly" former AirTran pilots with some original Southwest guys thrown in. Your seniority will probably more closely reflect your AT seniority than you are anticipating.

I don't think you're comprehending just how much the FOs got raped in this deal. When the transition is all said and done, ATL will basically be "real" SWA pilots in the CA seats, and former ATN captains will hold just about all of the FO spots.

How long was that ATL fence in SL9?

The real question is whether it matters ?

SWAPA and SWA management seem to either violate, ignore or write secret new LOAs together that negate the others. SWAPA would have spent every waking hour attempting to circumvent any agreement.

These are the same people who had 1700 pilots bid on a 717 seat at a fictional base, while they were selling the airplane. What would you think ?

I don't think you're comprehending just how much the FOs got raped in this deal. When the transition is all said and done, ATL will basically be "real" SWA pilots in the CA seats, and former ATN captains will hold just about all of the FO spots.

Yes, swa FO's did get raped-
All AT FOs should have been stapled to get close to fair-

What I don't get are pilots still militantly trying to poison the well -

Move on or don't- no one at your new paycheck will ever agree you got screwed PCL. It's moronic.

Latest resources

Back