Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm glad you were proud of your airport ready reserve and your SkyWest operation.

A 30 thousand dollar paycut from being a senior AAI captain making 152/hr, vs a SW senior FO making 160/hr? I think your calculator might be broken.

You know those guys are flying charters and open time at double time, right?

I'm glad you were proud of your airport ready reserve and your SkyWest operation.

Honestly, didn't really care much about the Skywest operation. We weren't going to be flying routes that could only support 50 seaters, and our scope limited their ability to expand. As far as ready reserve, I sat a couple of hours of ready reserve recently, and got paid above guarantee for it because they didn't use me. Trust me, I'd rather have our reserve work rules than yours any day. Your reserve rules are atrocious.

A 30 thousand dollar paycut from being a senior AAI captain making 152/hr, vs a SW senior FO making 160/hr? I think your calculator might be broken.

Senior AirTran captains don't make $152/hr. Apparently your calendar is stuck on 2009.

You know those guys are flying charters and open time at double time, right?

No, I know what their real pay is and was.

The great thing is that Bob your last CEO insisted that SWA take the work group. He did really save your job. Once you step away from aviation and see how business really is, and how cut through it can be. You will come to appreciate the SWA deal even more. Boeing could of took the hit in the 717's but SWA would have never got a smoking deal on used and 737's/MAX's. Boeing would of eventually hooked Delta up. I will say yes it sucks for the AT capt's to take a pay cut, but we all did before we came to SWA. I don't feel bad that they increase their personal cost of living from 2010-2013 with your new contract.

The great thing you will miss in aviation and having a union job is MB/AM. AM is a protection you will not have in the real world of business. TRUST me I know, and it sucks.

This part is absolutely true. Almost without exception, when a company gets acquired the acquiring company usually brings about 10% of the workforce over and tells the other 90% 'thanks for the service, we'll let you know when we start hiring again.' Just market forces at play...day in and day out.

PCL, so what was your CA rates on the day Southwest announced this shotgun wedding? It's amazing how you received your 'new' contract within weeks after Southwest made their announcement. Just coincidence in your mind I'm sure.

PCL, so what was your CA rates on the day Southwest announced this shotgun wedding? It's amazing how you received your 'new' contract within weeks after Southwest made their announcement. Just coincidence in your mind I'm sure.

You mean the concessions we made in bargaining to reach a deal because the NMB wouldn't let us exercise self-help with a merger in progress? We caved on many of our demands, red. What we would have ended up with would have been much better if not for this merger. Don't pat yourself on the back thinking you did us some sort of favor with this CBA.

Are you clowns actually saying that I have SW to thank for our last contract? You people are even more out of touch than everyone thinks you are.

If you want to talk about old contracts, lets talk about old SW contracts. Yeah, they were awesome.

Over and over about meaningless BS but you still won't address the fact that if your cram job was truly fair and equitable, why the threats and ultimatums? If you had the upper hand why did you obviously fear arbitration?

A lot of tough talk from a pilot group that never had to fight for anything. Bunch of spoiled brats thumbing their noses at everyone else. No wonder the rest of the industry feels the way they do about you.

You mean the concessions we made in bargaining to reach a deal because the NMB wouldn't let us exercise self-help with a merger in progress? We caved on many of our demands, red. What we would have ended up with would have been much better if not for this merger. Don't pat yourself on the back thinking you did us some sort of favor with this CBA.

I understand the NMB part, I really do and it sucked for you guys. But the reality of what contract you were working under is....the reality. No matter how much you wish it wasn't. I'm not taking any credit for anything, but AAI management was much more motivated after Gary called I believe. No?

9Capt,

I think it's interesting that you are calling the pilots of SWAPA spoiled brats when they have worked their @ss off for the contract you will come over to. You get to walk in and enjoy that contract first day you transition. Just a different view point.

And just for clarification. I voted No and was ready to go to arbitration. I think the list would have looked similar, except you would have kept some CA seats but probably not all.

I absolutely believe Gary could have operated AirTran separately and probably had it dismantled (within 18 months) if he wanted to. That was probably option 'D' because he stated numerous times he wanted a negotiated agreement ASAP. Apparently, ALPA thought they would call is bluff on that line of thinking. I was shocked and dismayed that the agreement wasn't at least sent out for a membership vote. Has to go down in history as one of the worst moves ALPA ever made. That and the TWA lovefest.

Hey Humm how's the Dark side of flying going. Haven a good time??

It's not bad. I like not commuting and going back in to SEA. Most of the CA's will lower the gear or the flaps when I call for them with only a slight hesitation. God, how I missed that ;-). Everyone has made me feel welcome though.

I can honestly say AT was more "fun". It was just a younger airline, less slam clicking. Definitely more crew camaraderie on the overnights. That surprised me at first, but I can see how AT might have been 15-20 years down the road.

Rather than worry about the money I'm not making, I prefer to take advantage of having about 4 days off more a month and using that time wisely.

but AAI management was much more motivated after Gary called I believe. No?

Actually, the exact opposite is true. We were seeing motivation from management to reach a deal, and then when the deal with SWA was finalized, suddenly their motivation seemed to disappear. Before the deal was finalized, they still had uncertainty, and had to worry about the NMB releasing us into self help. After the deal was finalized, they had nothing to worry about, because they knew we weren't getting released. The only reason they agreed to anything at all was because it was easier for them to deal with the transaction if they weren't having to deal with mandatory bargaining sessions with us, plus the hassles that come with things like picketing events and having to deal with the media about labor issues. Furthermore, their hands were partly tied on how far they could go on contract improvements, because any "material change" could result in the transaction being canceled by SWA per their merger agreement.

The reality is, we took much less in a CBA because of this merger, and we were only weeks away from a better deal before the merger deal was finalized. You did us no favors.

I think it's interesting that you are calling the pilots of SWAPA spoiled brats when they have worked their @ss off for the contract you will come over to. You get to walk in and enjoy that contract first day you transition. Just a different view point.

Worked your ass off? What delusions of grandeur! From your former SWAPA President, said to a small group of AirTran pilots at one of their "Roundup" events shortly after the merger was announced:

"The truth is, we don't have the best contract because we were so good. We have the best contract because everybody else fell down below us." - Captain Carl Kuwitzky

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back