SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude,

Are you sure about that? You're talking about a company that has not yet emerged from Ch.11 bankruptcy. If I were you, I'd be more than just "concerned" in the event of a merger between Delta and some other large carrier. As a junior guy there, you will be cannonfodder, and could very well find yourself kicked to the curb with the merging of seniority lists. As a guy that was furloughed from Delta for 2.5 yrs, I can tell you that it's not fun.

While SWA may not be your cup of tea, there is stability there. This is a company that remained in the black when practically everyone else in the passenger airline industry was bleeding billions of dollars. This is also a company that has enthusiastic employees that love to work there...not exactly the case at Delta.

You should definitely interview at SWA, and see if you like what you see. I'd take the stability, a faster upgrade, and better pay at SWA over Mother Delta any day. Having "lived the dream" at Delta for 6 yrs, it's the smart move, in my humble opinion. Good luck with your decision.

Not to take anything away from your experience Archie but I want to quote myself from post #69

"Ha Ha, we all know its human nature to slant things in the direction a person might be going. Helps one feel better about the decision they are making. No offense intended on my part. I think SWA is a model all airlines could learn from without question!"

This has been a good thread, and most people have put their .02 cents in without much name calling...nice to see. I usually don't post but this has sucked me in since I believed that this guy really wanted valuable input from those of us who have been in this situation. I had class dates with both United and Delta in early 2001 and went with United. I know what he is going through (even though he hasn't been hired at SWA yet).

You say that if you were hired by SWA, that your wife would want to move to Dallas the next day. To me that is the no brainer. Job stability, a happy family, quality of live and most likely more money for at least the next 10 years.

How many days off a month can you expect from working at Delta? Assuming you do move to Dallas and chose Delta, you will most likely be loosing 3-4 days a month on commuting. Take those 3-4 days a month over the year and that is 36-48 days a year....commuting. Over 28 years...3.1 years-3.6 years of your life....commuting! Thats a lot of wasted time that you could be instead drinking beer, fishing, playing golf, driving your boat...

Just remember there is only one thing that you can never get more of....time.

At your age going to SWA you will retire a multimillionaire with fantastic seniority. Im guessing that you are probably enamored with the allure of flying heavy jets across the pond. For alot of guys it is a total ego thing. Down the road though, if you live in Dallas and your neighbor is a SWA guy, dont feel bad when you see his truck in his driveway when you are comming and going on your commute to Atlanta.

If you hear what he is saying its not as cut and dry as choosing SWA over Delta. Of course he hasnt even interviewed at SWA yet but for the sake of this arguement lets say he does have time to interview before he goes to Delta groundschool in April. Subsequently while just getting on the line at Delta he is offerered the job at SWA. Being a new hire at Delta would it be reasonable to think he would have the time to get the type? I dont know what is involved or how long it takes so maybe somebody could interject?

Anyway, my point is there are alot of things that would need to happen for SWA to even be a possibility at this point. I guess the first hurdle for him is to see if he can schedule an interview before he starts class at Delta and right now he doesnt know when either will happen. If I were him I would not do anything to jepardize my offer at Delta. SWA is a big maybe right now. Delta is going to happen unless some unforseen things happens. Whats that saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If he believes in Destiny then SWA will materialize if its right otherwise Delta will still be the standout option.

My feeling is that Delta is turning the corner and good things ahead but at the same time SWA is a very compelling company and a shinying star in the industry when compared to what others offer. This was true of Delta seven years ago as well. Who knows where we will be in another seven years? It would be fun to save all these posts and contrast with whats happening then. I can tell you the general tone on these boards regarding where to go HAS radically changed after watching four of the six legacies go into BK after 911. Prior to this time United, American, and Delta were all considered the "brass ring" with pay that demolished even the now three darlings of the industry, UPS, FedEX, SWA. To give you an idea I have the pay rates from Untited in 2000 in front of me. Twelve year Captain was as follows for these equipment types:

737- $226.60/Hr
A320- $254.01/Hr
757/767- $264.89/Hr
777- $316.48/Hr
747- $355.84/Hr

All this plus the A and B fund great work rules and overrides such as:

International $8/Hr
Night $15/Hr

In the late nineties United was making Billions and could do no wrong. That all changed very rapidly. These pay rates didnt help but it was alot of other things that ultimately sunk United/Delta to where they are now. They have just gone through the biggest cost shedding period in their history. They have good routes and going forward will make money again. I will be very surprised if a 787 or 777 Captain for example continues to make what a 737 Captain makes anywhere. The rates during BK have been taken to their lowest low and will only go up from here at the surviving legacies. Maybe one will still dissapear (we dont know). But all the legacies are not going to dissapear. You decide but over the long haul I remain bullish on a few of the Legacies after implementing the correct strategies/alliances. Which ones those will be remains to be seen. Id like to see Delta stay and United dissappear but I think both those two will make it in some form or another. OK, ending my long winded analysis ha ha.

Last edited:
I do thank you all for what you have said. I think that Mr Hughes hit it on the head. The point of this tread some three pages ago was to test the water. I did that. I was looking at some in depth analysis from people on both lists. I threw in a few of the things that will be plaguing me over then next month.
Of course SWA is the place to be. As stated I was thinking out loud. That place rocks. I have never heard one negative out of anyone I know there. Heck they do not even mind the five leg days. What I was asking is given my set of circumstances, is it a wise move to jeopardize one job or if hired, or quit to get the type. I would have to do that since I will not be dumb enough to turn down my first offer for a class date. DAL is where I have always though that I would go. But things change.
It will be a pain in the a$$ to try and schedule two weeks off to get to higher power if I am lucky enough to get it on my first shot. More likely than not I would have to quit. Not cool in my estimate. Like was stated people have always left one place to go to the next best thing, and it was a mistake. That is where I am coming from. Those are the issues that plague me. Either way I will be at a better place than I am now and that is a good thing.

IMHO, I would go with SWA. These are my reasons:

- Due to the current round of airline bankruptcies and restructuring, it is only a matter of time before the Air Transport Association convinces the government that the industry needs to consolidate to survive. SWA is not on the radar screen yet for any acquisitions or a target of hostile/friendly takeover.

- Delta and Northwest are prime targets for a takeover/consolidation.

- Already on this board we have begun to see the first steps of a US-EU Open Skies Agreement. That means that the trans-Atlantic market is going to heat up and require US airlines to become even more efficient since international margins will coming down. SWA doesn't play in that market and will likely not be affected much by an Open Skies agreement.

- The flight attendants are much better looking.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

IMHO a Delta/NWA hookup is a merger that might actually for once make sense. The synergies of Deltas Europe, South America presence with NWA's Asia would fit like a glove. Aircraft types is a bit of a problem. For some reason of which I dont know NWA doesnt seem too concerned about many types....maybe more focused on the savings by "right sizing" the exact aircraft to the route? I just dont know. For some reason I dont think this particular hookup would cause very much labor strife either (especially if employees from both sides felt like they needed each other to survive and thrive in the future) and I think most jobs would be preserved since there would not be alot of shedding due to the lack of overlapping routes. I guess what Im saying is a merger would not neccessarily be a bad things if it was the RIGHT merger (ie NOT AA/TWA or US/DAL). Sometimes there is some truth to that old addages "grow or die" or the other similar "Change or die". We will see.

You can split the training up at HPA. Perhaps they'd let you do the GS and oral for free or a reduced fee. Then if offered the job, you could bang out the sim in 5-6 days...just a thought.

Latest resources

Back