• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a difficult choice, I would probably to with delta. SW's problems are starting to begin as I predicted. SW is currently operating at a loss and will continue to do so unless something major happens. That something major is to start parking airplanes......good luck.

This is a difficult choice, I would probably to with delta. SW's problems are starting to begin as I predicted. SW is currently operating at a loss and will continue to do so unless something major happens. That something major is to start parking airplanes......good luck.

Nostradamus? It is interesting how one pilot can fingure out the state of a company, yet the whole industry can only try to duplicate it.

Never say never. You act like SWA will never have problems, always make money no matter what, never go out of business....it's not that easy. I mean, it's track record is good but the minute you get all cocky (like you are) about it, is when you have to worry.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I even told my fiancee to apply because it is a good company but it's not immune from the goings on in the world like you seem to make it sound.

Look at your own sig line before saying that.

"Freight is my business, and business is good!"

Like SWA, even UPS's success can change in a heartbeat. Like you said, never say never...

Look at your own sig line before saying that.

"Freight is my business, and business is good!"

Like SWA, even UPS's success can change in a heartbeat. Like you said, never say never...

Duh! I know that! I don't say never.

How about "Freight is my business, and business is good right now"?

I remember the day the Pan Am Miami Chief Pilot came and introduced himself to our new hire class, "Congratulations gentlemen, you will all be 747 captains in 10 years!"

My point is, you can't know for sure until you retire what was your best choice. I enjoy reading this board because I see all of these young swinging d*cks tell me why their airline is the best and why their airline will be the best forever. The airline business sucks and is cyclical, PAA was the big dog in the 70s, EAL was the big dog in the 80s, UAL was the big dog in the 90s and now SWA is the big dog - Big Deal! If you make your airline decision solely on current pilot contracts and airline market share you may be disappointed.

Pick the airline that offers what you want, bases, type of flying and QOL, expect that these could all change anyway. Think in 5 - 10 year stages, history proves me right.

I think DAL would probably be the right move only because there will be massive retirement and there hasn't been much hiring lately, but then that is why I chose to fly at Pan Am.

Dart Board Please........

Time for an ex DAL MD-88 driver to chime in. Left Mother Delta last May for SWA. Reasons: Second year pay here is better than six year pay for a narrow body at Delta. Brand new Capts. here are pulling down more than $200k/yr. $80 dollars a month for med and dental versus $400. 7.3 percent 401K match. Profit sharing. 5yr upgrade to Captain. Oh ya and more than 500 guys on the property already behind me with another 600 to come this year. Did six years at Delta. Happy to be out from under the doom and gloom. God knows how long I was looking at for a capt seat. No retirement. Lame 401k match. I can do without international flying. Most guys only do it for a couple of years because they're worn out. Don't need the option of flying different airplanes. I'll give up auto-throttles and vnav for a stable place to work. The switch was a no-brainer for me. PM me if you like.

The doom and gloom has turned around a bit, thanks to hiring and expansion. Does that mean it will never return again? No. But, things are getting better somewhat. The pension payout plus equity claim will result in a chunk of change for us that did stay. The DC fund 9% monthly payout plus 2% match will likely be raised in the future (United has a 15% DC match). The thing about Delta that is better than most airlines is that you have options here, which provide a good QOL after a few years. INTL flying can be replaced with Domestic flying in one bid. We don't have to do 6 legs a day (on the majority of trips) like SWA pilots do. (don't lie now, we all know you work harder than we do) A lot of us don't want to be on a 737 for the rest of our lives, flying multiple legs per day with 25 minute turns. If you don't mind that type of flying, then you made the right choice. I happen to like the auto throttle too, makes it really easy. (but, to throw in a challenge, I click it off at 1000 ft). Good luck to you.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nostradamus? It is interesting how one pilot can fingure out the state of a company, yet the whole industry can only try to duplicate it.

We have moved away recently from one class cattle car flying. We have figured out that our best passengers who pay the most for walk up flights enjoy first class seats and service on most of our planes. Even some RJs are getting first class to make them happy.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back