• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those are my thought exactly. DAL is just coming out of a very dark time, but six years ago SWA could not beg pilots to come there. One wonders if that my be the case in the next six years.
I have always wanted to do Int'l flying, but the Mrs. is from Ft Worth and really would like to move back.
It is a nice place to be, but also one that keeps you up at night.

I was hired six years ago. You couldn't get me to go anywhere else. YOU NEED TO GO TO DAL. I highly recommend it.

In fact, if you'll PM me your name, I'll make sure you go to DAL.

believe that DAL is on it was up. With its business model that is in place it will kick a$$ and take names. USA and B6 must be shaking in their boots about now

Yeah, we're terrified:rolleyes: With Delta's genius business model of more and more RJ's, maybe you should just stay where you're at if it's DAL you choose. After their next downturn you'll be applying to get your old job back anyway.

Even I know you guys fly, on average, more legs than 3 legs a day. I talked to a friend of mine and his 4 day had 5 legs the first day, 5 on the second, 2 on the third which still had 7.5 hours, and 5 on the last day. He said he was exhausted. You can't fool anyone, you guys work the hardest. GL isn't lying.

It depends on how you bid, and where you are domiciled. DAL/HOU/OAK, yes I could see averaging 5 legs a day. I have been doing trips that average about 3 legs a day for a couple of years. All 3 on 4 off. Usually 4/3/2, 3/3/2, or 4/3/1 legs per day. Living in domicile weekday flying, and gone 2 nights per week, with approximately 18 days off per month. All while making over 100K as an F/O. I'm not bragging, I know it could all end tomorrow, but just trying to state some facts instead of the usual flight info disinformation. All this means for the original poster? Do your own research, don't listen to anyone else. That's what I did, and it has worked out up to this point. One other really key point. I really like going to work, make sure you go someplace that won't be a drag.

Guys it is percentile. 65 percentile puts you in the top 35% of the pilots. IE 35 out of 100. Sorry to confuse.

In a response about my wife. She has some strong ties to the Dallas area and I do not. I agree 100 % with you and would not want a divorce. With that said I live in ATL and would have to move. Literally if I got the SWA job I think that she would move then next day. She wants back that bad. Even though she says that ATL is fine. Basically she was upset I did not take the World gig for DAL.
I would have to commute out of the Luv hub either way to see upgrade before I am 50. I am 32, but I am sure upgrade out of there will easily pass the 15 year mark. Either way I think that I will have to commute.
You all know that whatever an upgrade is not is not what it will be when you get there. We had that at my airline back in 01. We were hiring guys and upgrading them in six months. People jumped ship at places like Horizon to come here and they just upgraded after seven year.
I may be wrong but I do not see SWA being able to attain the level of growth that they have for the next five to ten years. They will have to plateau. It is inevitable.
You are correct in stating that DAL is on shaky ground. I think that the only place for the near term where that is not true is the cargo industry. SWA is a great place, I am just trying to weigh all of the pro's and con's I would more than likely have to quit my job at DAL to get the type. I cannot bypass there for a class that fits my schedule better. Like I stated in a previous post. I would not know until may and I will already be in class by then. That is a tough call to make. IMHO.

Wrong again...

Upgrade in KDAL domicile is 8 1/2 years right now. It will only come down since Wright is gone and they are adding flying here for the forseeable future. Yes, age 65 will affect it but KDAL will be growing so much, the end result is the upgrade there will fall more in line with the rest of the system. The union predicted KDAL will eventually be equal in size to KHOU.

We have traditionally grown at our present rate throughout our history. Gary Kelly is committed to keeping that growth rate in place. This is the reason we are currently putting together changes to our computer reservation system so it can handle international flights. This is also why we sent a team to Boeing to evaluate the 787.

I say again though, you should NOT take your SWA interview slot. You obviously have your mind made up for Delta as indicated by your previous posts and your avatar. You are wasting a slot that could go to someone who really wants to be here.

What ever airline you select, I'll be glad to take your spot at the other.....

I can't get an interview anywhere but I'll keep on trying!!!

IMHO, I would go with SWA. These are my reasons:

- Due to the current round of airline bankruptcies and restructuring, it is only a matter of time before the Air Transport Association convinces the government that the industry needs to consolidate to survive. SWA is not on the radar screen yet for any acquisitions or a target of hostile/friendly takeover.

- Delta and Northwest are prime targets for a takeover/consolidation.

- Already on this board we have begun to see the first steps of a US-EU Open Skies Agreement. That means that the trans-Atlantic market is going to heat up and require US airlines to become even more efficient since international margins will coming down. SWA doesn't play in that market and will likely not be affected much by an Open Skies agreement.

- The flight attendants are much better looking.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Champ42272

I'm biased but man I'd be nervous being brand new at an airline in bankruptsy. If a merger happens you're gone. Overlap happens and takes you with it.

Leave your options open. See what feels right to you. SWA was NOT my first choice. Delta was. Got hired. Then got a letter a month later says "sorry but we've re-elvaluated our needs and you're not in them." Picked myself up and got hired by AA and SWA at the same time. Chose SWA. Never looked back but if I did I would see that with the support of my family and open discussions like this that I was guided toward a decision I initially wasn't sure was the proper one.

Sucks to be you. :) Good luck bro. Enjoy it - you've earned it.

Gup

It is quite true. DAL can only go up and vice versa.

Dude,

Are you sure about that? You're talking about a company that has not yet emerged from Ch.11 bankruptcy. If I were you, I'd be more than just "concerned" in the event of a merger between Delta and some other large carrier. As a junior guy there, you will be cannonfodder, and could very well find yourself kicked to the curb with the merging of seniority lists. As a guy that was furloughed from Delta for 2.5 yrs, I can tell you that it's not fun.

While SWA may not be your cup of tea, there is stability there. This is a company that remained in the black when practically everyone else in the passenger airline industry was bleeding billions of dollars. This is also a company that has enthusiastic employees that love to work there...not exactly the case at Delta.

You should definitely interview at SWA, and see if you like what you see. I'd take the stability, a faster upgrade, and better pay at SWA over Mother Delta any day. Having "lived the dream" at Delta for 6 yrs, it's the smart move, in my humble opinion. Good luck with your decision.

In a response about my wife. She has some strong ties to the Dallas area and I do not. I agree 100 % with you and would not want a divorce.

With that attitude go to Delta and join the others who take a beating like a man. Need a new wife? There is one coming out of divorce court every :54. Go to Delta, you will fit in better. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back