• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Meanwhile....

Continental Plans Mexican Code Share In Early 2011

Dec 2, 2010 14:39:15 (ET)

By Doug Cameron Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Continental Airlines said Thursday it hoped to start a code-share deal with Mexico's Aeromar early next year following the restoration of the country's top-tier safety rating by U.S. regulators.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday upgraded Mexico to Category 1 status, just four months after a downgrade that left local carriers unable to expand services and froze partnerships with U.S. airlines.
The downgrade and the bankruptcy of Mexicana, Mexico's largest airline, prompted U.S. airlines to add more flights on crossborder routes but barred Continental from moving ahead with planned code share, which allows cross-selling of seats with partner carriers with a single ticket for connecting flights.
Continental, a unit of United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL), will start code sharing with Aeromar next year, subject to regulatory approvals, having originally planned to launch last summer. The airlines already offer passengers reciprocal frequent-flyer points and airport lounge access.
Aeromar operates ATR42 turboprops with domestic services to 21 points from its Mexico City base, as well as a flight to San Antonio, Texas.
Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) launched an alliance with Mexico's Volaris Wednesday that stops short of code sharing. The U.S. airline needs to upgrade IT and other systems before expanding the pact.
The FAA code ranks countries' ability to oversee their airlines in accordance with international standards, including aircraft maintenance and personnel training--the latter was reportedly the source of the Mexican downgrade.
-By Doug Cameron, Dow Jones Newswires; 312-750-4135; [email protected]
(END) Dow Jones Newswires

The arbitration hearing deals with all 70 seat flying planned with the Continental code. Not just going after Skywest.

12/01/2010

CHICAGO PICKETING
More than 200 pilots from Continental, United and other carriers braved windy conditions and frigid temperatures to walk the line during informational picketing today in Chicago. The successful event, organized by the UAL MEC SPSC in coordination with the CAL MEC SPSC, came on the heels of well-attended events last week in Newark and Houston. All told, more than 850 pilots came together to stand united against management’s plans to continue and expand the practice of outsourcing flying to other airlines.

Management intends to use the CO code on flights from Continental hubs, using outsourced 70-seat jets, a practice the union believes is in violation of the Continental pilots’ current contract and an attempt by management to leverage a position in joint contract negotiations supporting further outsourcing of mainline pilot jobs. The Association and management have agreed to expedited arbitration on the issue and are scheduled to provide an arbitrator with information later this month. A decision by the arbitrator is expected before the end of the month, well prior to the announced start date of the flights.

I love to drive by laughing at picketing pilots just like the rest of the general public does. Nobody but you cares.It just makes you look pathetic!! Well....it makes me laugh.

Personally, I don't see the pilots as the enemy. They don't control where they fly. This is between CAL ALPA and the the company. If the judges rules in favor of ALPA, and the pilots of Skywest or Republic fly it, then that's another story.

Well, that depends. If someone at Skywest or Republic is displaced out of their base or assigned on reserve to do the illegal flying, I'd still deny a jumpseat (let mgt PS them to and from work if they want to violate our contract), but not blacklist them from future employment. However, anyone voluntarily bidding to do this flying (I believe that's everyone going to IAH at SKYW, not sure about RP) is knowingly supporting Smisek's attempt to abrogate our scope, and leverage this against us in contract negotiations. I would be appalled if anyone acting in such a scab-like manner would be hired here in the future, and hope such a blacklist for pilots VOLUNTARILY doing this illegal flying will actually exist. Then again, this would require ALPA to actually act like a union and not a country club... :angryfire

I love to drive by laughing at picketing pilots just like the rest of the general public does. Nobody but you cares.It just makes you look pathetic!! Well....it makes me laugh.

So reading comprehension isn't your strong point. 850 mainline guys showed up, they must care. National press coverage by major outlets, they must care. Even management trying to limit the size and prevent more than 6 picketers in the terminal at Houston..they must care.

Your a Skyway FO, so you probably can't afford a car, let alone live in Chicago. I bet you laugh until you open your paycheck. I don't expect you to understand, I bet you've never stood up for anything in your life. I'm sure you like rolling over for Uncle Jerry however.

I like laughing at spiky hair punks with their backpacks playing airline pilot.

Last edited:
If I can confirm this, then my jumpseat is no longer available to any United or CAL pilot....Game ON!

Do you really want to be the guy who causes the loss of jumpseat privileges on the world's largest airline for the ASA/ExpressJet pilot group? Wow, you're going to be a popular guy...

So reading comprehension isn't your strong point. 850 mainline guys showed up, they must care. National press coverage by major outlets, they must care. Even management trying to limit the size and prevent more than 6 picketers in the terminal at Houston..they must care.

Your a Skyway FO, so you probably can't afford a car, let alone live in Chicago. I bet you laugh until you open your paycheck. I don't expect you to understand, I bet you've never stood up for anything in your life. I'm sure you like rolling over for Uncle Jerry however.

Good one. Did you think that one up all by yourself?
Go walk around in a circle people driving by would like a nice chuckel.

I haven't seen a list of Republic pilots, but as far as I know they haven't announced a base in either EWR or IAH. The list that is going around Continental pilots is Skywest pilots that voluntarily bid IAH.

So does a snow storm in Iowa, whats your point?

Do you really want to be the guy who causes the loss of jumpseat privileges on the world's largest airline for the ASA/ExpressJet pilot group? Wow, you're going to be a popular guy...

Then lay off my fellow Skywest pilots....I consider them more my brothers than you...If you fire the first shot, I WILL FIRE BACK!

I can't believe that you are blaiming all your ills on junior Skywest pilots...This coming from a group that has hundreds of actually strike breakers including YOUR FORMER MEC CHAIRMAN who crossed a real picket line, unlike this one that only exists in your mind....YGTBSM!

I haven't seen a list of Republic pilots, but as far as I know they haven't announced a base in either EWR or IAH. The list that is going around Continental pilots is Skywest pilots that voluntarily bid IAH.

So if they don't base them in Houston, you don't have a problem with it? Sorry, but you don't really expect us to believe that BS do you?

Latest resources

Back