One Rate for Comair? Thanx SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bvt1151 said:
I have to agree the Skywest is to blame for the mixed pay rates. They are the only airline offering all aircraft on the same scale, and Fred has undoubtedly used them as an example.

Exactly how low the pay actually is, is Delta's fault [bankruptcy].

For regionals maybe, but we are on a single payscale too.

bvt1151 said:
I have to agree the Skywest is to blame for the mixed pay rates. They are the only airline offering all aircraft on the same scale, and Fred has undoubtedly used them as an example.

Not true bvt, UPS has had a single rate for 727 up thru 747 for years. Delta had a blended 757/767 rate. United has blended rates. The majors did long before the SKYW blended rate. In fact PSA did it before SKYW.

Aside from that, how does separating the rates help if you have very low rates ala Mesa. Aren't they more to blame than SKYW?

Sorry guys that sucks to hear! I do have a question though. How is flying a 70/50 seat crj for the same wage, any different than flying a 757-200/757-300 for the same wage. It seems to me that it has been going on far too long to be blaming SkyWest. I am relatively new to the industry, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone.
Wilde737

JI Gone OH said:
Now there's a great idea.... I don't think we get a vote in Chapter 11! Why are we the only one's that are supposed to say no, anyway? Why has everyone else caved since 2001? (and don't give me the 9/11 excuse).

Ummmm.... how long ago was it that Comair pilots voted themselves a pay freeze? (in effect pay-cut) Why don't you think that is "caving", or does it not apply to you?

wilde737 said:
Sorry guys that sucks to hear! I do have a question though. How is flying a 70/50 seat crj for the same wage, any different than flying a 757-200/757-300 for the same wage. It seems to me that it has been going on far too long to be blaming SkyWest. I am relatively new to the industry, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone.
Wilde737

When we put our 757 and 767 rates together, we moved the 757 rates UP TO the 767 rates. We did not bring them down. SkyWest pilots voted to allow rates for planes up to 99 seats to equal their 50 seat rates. That is the difference.

Bye Bye--General Lee

bvt1151 said:

The entire blame goes to bankruptcy. If Comair had a more competitive pay rate, they would not have had to take a pay freeze. If Delta was a leaner airline and managed better, they would not have found themselves in bankruptcy. It's a perfect example of employee groups demanding "best in the industry" compensation packages in the good times which are bound by contracts, and not having the flexibility in the bad times to stay profitable. Blended rates are your own fault, not ours. Although I don't like the blended rate, I'd prefer decent quality of life and job security.

Skaff said:
The entire blame goes to bankruptcy. If Comair had a more competitive pay rate, they would not have had to take a pay freeze. If Delta was a leaner airline and managed better, they would not have found themselves in bankruptcy. It's a perfect example of employee groups demanding "best in the industry" compensation packages in the good times which are bound by contracts, and not having the flexibility in the bad times to stay profitable. Blended rates are your own fault, not ours. Although I don't like the blended rate, I'd prefer decent quality of life and job security.

Actually, Comair's pay has nothing to do with Delta's bankruptcy. Pilot savings will be somewhere around $17 million at Comair. Anyone remember how much Delta lost last year?

This blended rate agreement may pass because there has been precedence set. If the judge sees that some pilot group actually "voted" for this pay style, it will happen. If Skywest never adopted blended rate, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

bvt1151 said:
If Skywest never adopted blended rate, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Nice to think that SKYW is so cutting edge that they were the first to come up with the 'blended rate'.

Do you really think that Comair would not be looking at a blended rate if it wasn't for SKYW?

Other airlines operate aircraft at blended rates, and have for a long time. I know it's typically somewhere in between the two airframes, but I would be curious to know what SKYW's true blended rates would be if SKYW were compared to other airlines that have true seperate rates for comparable aircraft. ie find out the average industry wide for the 50 and 70 seat and compare them to what SKYW pilots make on average.

Hmmmmm.........homework.

AF :cool:

Okay..........I took all other airlines that operate similar platforms and came up with this (averaged out):

Horizon 115
Comair 107 (could be changing for the worse (ie 90.07))
SKYW 93
ASA 92.5
Eagle 92
AWAC 89
PSA 87.5
MAG 86.5
CHQ 85
Pinnacle 82
TSA 80
Ex. Jet 74.5

These are all based on Captain rates at the cap for their respective agreements. I got the rates from http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/ and backed them up from http://willflyforfood.cc/

Granted, SKYW has a true blended rate (others do to. ie Ex. Jet operates the EMB 135/140 for the same rate. MAG operates the EMB 140/145 for the same rate), but if you want to compare apples to apples (your paycheck) you may want to look at what your house is made of (glass) before you start throwing rocks at the others around here.

I'm not happy about our blended rate. I didn't vote for it, and would love to see it gone.

AF :cool:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back