• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL solving the seniority issue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems from this side that many on the NW side want everything and want to give up nothing to get it. DL guys seem to realize that, even with the large hit they would take in a realtive seniority deal, compromise will be required in any merger. Not so sure now though as positions seem to be hardening here.

Just what are the DAL pilots giving up to make the deal happen ?

It seems from this side that many on the NW side want everything and want to give up nothing to get it. DL guys seem to realize that, even with the large hit they would take in a realtive seniority deal, compromise will be required in any merger. Not so sure now though as positions seem to be hardening here.

Just what are the DAL pilots giving up to make the deal happen ?

What we are giving up or GAVE up? We don't have a pension. We kept certain things, like better work rules and pay rates, and lost the pensions. You guys keep your frozen pensions, and still get our wages and better work rules. You also get a chance to fly closer to where you live (if you commute), and a better chance to fly a widebody, which means even more pay right there. Yes, you guys may be stagnate for awhile, but the same thing could happen if there is a world wide recession, and gas continues to go sky high and Steenland decides suddenly to get rid of a few more DC9s than originally thought.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What we are giving up or GAVE up? We don't have a pension. We kept certain things, like better work rules and pay rates, and lost the pensions. You guys keep your frozen pensions, and still get our wages and better work rules. You also get a chance to fly closer to where you live (if you commute), and a better chance to fly a widebody, which means even more pay right there. Yes, you guys may be stagnate for awhile, but the same thing could happen if there is a world wide recession, and gas continues to go sky high and Steenland decides suddenly to get rid of a few more DC9s than originally thought.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Are you implying that the DAL pilots would not be stagnant in a combined list? Not sure I am reading your response correctly.

What do you estimate the probability of a global (world wide) recession?

Are you implying that the DAL pilots would not be stagnant in a combined list? Not sure I am reading your response correctly.

What do you estimate the probability of a global (world wide) recession?

I think plenty of DL pilots would be stagnate. Absolutely. And could we have a worldwide recession? If gas prices go up everywhere, then probably. If US citizens can't afford foreign goods, then other areas around the world may feel the pinch too. Look how the US Credit market is affecting other economies.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think plenty of DL pilots would be stagnate. Absolutely. And could we have a worldwide recession? If gas prices go up everywhere, then probably. If US citizens can't afford foreign goods, then other areas around the world may feel the pinch too. Look how the US Credit market is affecting other economies.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I still think that a combined NWA/DAL would be in the best interest of most pilots, provided that we are able to band together and work as a cohesive group, led by a management team striving to operate the best airline in the world. I also think that there would be stagnation, for a short term.

It is my understanding that DAL staff's the fleets with more pilots per seat. Is this a requirement due to contractual work rules, or is it because they want added flexibility and reduced crew time issues? Or is it because they really like pilots, and want to have as many as they can on property, because we are so cool?;)

Thanks,

P.S. It is not just the US Credit market that is laging on the global economy. Great Britain has been having very similar issues with their lending, and quite frankly, the culprit in this is the irresponsible lending conducted in the sub-prime market combined with a new and fast growing derivitives market which is invested in by many global players.
A global recession is a good topic to debate, but probabably not here.

I still think that a combined NWA/DAL would be in the best interest of most pilots, provided that we are able to band together and work as a cohesive group, led by a management team striving to operate the best airline in the world. I also think that there would be stagnation, for a short term.

It is my understanding that DAL staff's the fleets with more pilots per seat. Is this a requirement due to contractual work rules, or is it because they want added flexibility and reduced crew time issues? Or is it because they really like pilots, and want to have as many as they can on property, because we are so cool?;)

Thanks,

P.S. It is not just the US Credit market that is laging on the global economy. Great Britain has been having very similar issues with their lending, and quite frankly, the culprit in this is the irresponsible lending conducted in the sub-prime market combined with a new and fast growing derivitives market which is invested in by many global players.
A global recession is a good topic to debate, but probabably not here.

You may be right about the worldwide recession, I don't really know. But, if we can't afford to buy as many goods, it wouldn't help some areas of the world that depend on us.

Anyway, I have heard that if you guys got our rules, that you would have to hire 300-400 pilots extra, and that is without any new growth. So, I think we must have more pilots per plane, etc. As far as being stagnate, I think you are right, it would be short term. When your senior guys leave, we will all move up. Is that fair to some, and not to others? I don't know. If we stayed independant, would we not all grow? If the economy tanked even worse and something like SARS came back, wouldn't we contract? What will high oil do to us? Nothing is certain. Would combining two good airlines make one great one? Good question. Two unhappy pilot groups together has done a number on USAir. A fair agreement for all may be hard to achieve, but a mostly fair one may be better than no agreement and intense competition with high oil hovering over us.

There are some factors for both of us---we are bigger and have more widebodies, and are getting more sooner. You are older, and have the POTENTIAL for a lot of retirements sooner. You can offer us a larger Asian presence, and we can do the same for you in Europe, and introduce you to South America and Africa. You have two fortress hubs that for the moment lack major LCC presence. We rule the largest and busiest airport in the world.

So, we can offer each other a lot of things, but our pilots will have to find a fair way to bring us together, or it may never happen, or it may be forced upon us with zero goodies. We shall see....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I checked a DAL sen list today. With relative seniority I loose 1 1/2 years in seniority. I am at 79% from the top. I was hired in May'98 and that would put me just below a Dec'99 DAL hire.

What we are giving up or GAVE up? We don't have a pension. We kept certain things, like better work rules and pay rates, and lost the pensions.
Your choice, 63 % of NWA pilots agreed to save the pension.

You guys keep your frozen pensions,

And you agreed not to save yours.

and still get our wages and better work rules.

See above.

You also get a chance to fly closer to where you live (if you commute),

I haven't met one NWA pilot who wants or needs DAL bases, they all seem content with their bases.

and a better chance to fly a widebody,

Uhhh......no ! NWA pilots have always had a better chance of flying our widebody aircraft. NWA has a higher ratio of WB to NB.

Yes, you guys may be stagnate for awhile,

Nope, no way ! We will not agree to that. And as you said, "we kept certain things", like our top senior 1000+ pilots retiring in the next five years, and those opportunities to fly our widebodies, 747-400, 747-200F, A330-200, A330-300, 787, and 757 (you consider a WB).

but the same thing could happen if there is a world wide recession, and gas continues to go sky high

Good point, its happening. NWA has better financials than DAL, I'm not worried,...untill we merge with DAL.

and Steenland decides suddenly to get rid of a few more DC9s than originally thought.

Well its true the DC9's are not as fuel efficient as the DC9-80 , 88, 90 that DAL flies, but as old aircraft you know that they are paid for long ago. And with such good financial numbers at NWA we're not as concerned as you seem to be.
If NWA didn't have the good financial performance it had last year, I would think that they would look to slash expenses any where they could.

I think that during CH 11 our agreeing to change work rules and fly with 400 less pilots as you mentioned made us a better financial performer.

So we bring to Delta a leaner, stronger better financial performer with a billion dollar$ more cash in the bank than DAL, and we're smaller,...imagine that!.....

....now what is it again that the DAL pilots are giving up to make the deal happen?

What we are giving up or GAVE up? We don't have a pension. We kept certain things, like better work rules and pay rates, and lost the pensions.
Your choice, 63 % of NWA pilots agreed to save the pension.

You guys keep your frozen pensions,

And you agreed not to save yours.

and still get our wages and better work rules.

See above.

You also get a chance to fly closer to where you live (if you commute),

I haven't met one NWA pilot who wants or needs DAL bases, they all seem content with their bases.

and a better chance to fly a widebody,

Uhhh......no ! NWA pilots have always had a better chance of flying our widebody aircraft. NWA has a higher ratio of WB to NB.

Yes, you guys may be stagnate for awhile,

Nope, no way ! We will not agree to that. And as you said, "we kept certain things", like our top senior 1000+ pilots retiring in the next five years, and those opportunities to fly our widebodies, 747-400, 747-200F, A330-200, A330-300, 787, and 757 (you consider a WB).

but the same thing could happen if there is a world wide recession, and gas continues to go sky high

Good point, its happening. NWA has better financials than DAL, I'm not worried,...untill we merge with DAL.

and Steenland decides suddenly to get rid of a few more DC9s than originally thought.

Well its true the DC9's are not as fuel efficient as the DC9-80 , 88, 90 that DAL flies, but as old aircraft you know that they are paid for long ago. And with such good financial numbers at NWA we're not as concerned as you seem to be.
If NWA didn't have the good financial performance it had last year, I would think that they would look to slash expenses any where they could.

I think that during CH 11 our agreeing to change work rules and fly with 400 less pilots as you mentioned made us a better financial performer.

So we bring to Delta a leaner, stronger better financial performer with a billion dollar$ more cash in the bank than DAL, and we're smaller,...imagine that!.....

....now what is it again that the DAL pilots are giving up to make the deal happen?

Please don't spew facts to the general and 737pileof$hit, they don't want to hear them. Looks like CAL will be our best choice, looking at DAL's financials.

I checked a DAL sen list today. With relative seniority I loose 1 1/2 years in seniority. I am at 79% from the top. I was hired in May'98 and that would put me just below a Dec'99 DAL hire.

Heyas Jam,

Yup. A lot guys take in the shorts with a ratio type deal like that. But what's really bad is the stagnation that happens down the road a couple of years.

The DAL types would have you believe that you'd "power out" of the stagnation by all the growth that is planned, but with the recession coming (if it's not already hear), I'd put very little stock in that.

I sure hope this thing goes away.

Nu

Latest resources

Back