• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL solving the seniority issue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Delta Reps did tell me the Delta team came home with no plans to return. The Press reported the same thing four days later and management confirmed the brake was set for the time being. That brake remained set for nearly two weeks until the forces I reported were in play at ALPA National compelled the groups to meet again.

I agree that Occam's usually an Oracle, but when he posts:
Bad rumor.
That leaves a lot to interpretation. Here is the actual report from the Wall Street Journal:
Informal talks among pilot leaders from Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp. over the past week failed to produce the breakthrough needed for the two airlines to move ahead with their plans for a merger that would create the world's largest airline, said people familiar with the talks.

Last edited:
He is being circumspect. I think he enjoys watching all of the BS on here.

Last edited:
Here is the actual report from the Wall Street Journal:

I think you are placing way too much weight on what is being reported in the press. Both the DAL and NWA pilots are largely in the dark, and those that claim to "know" have bits and snippets, not the whole picture.

Regarding SLI, this is the most closely guarded, tight lipped communications I've seen in 15 yrs of ALPA. I think the only ones who really know are the MEC chairman and the merger committees, and they are not talking to us garden variety line pilots.

Focus: We'll get the details when they either a) announce a deal, or b) announce it's formally over.

The rest is all conjecture.

OK, talked to two DALPA reps again today who were in the lounge to answer questions. They said DAL/NWA pilots are talking right now. All will be known this Thursday. There is a meeting scheduled for all the DALPA reps to meet with the negotiators. If a deal is not struck both these guys claimed Delta will walk and its basically over. Is this just posturing I dont know. Info from the Thursday meeting will most likely be reported back to the pilots Fri or Monday unless the media gets something first.

What I'm hearing on the line is most Delta pilots are ready to shut this thing down and go it alone. I will be pretty surpised if the merger is given a yes vote by the Delta pilots unless something more significant is thrown in to sweeten the deal from management. Most Delta guys I have talked to want to go it alone and grow internally. Tokyo is nice but China is where the growth is and NWA doesn't bring that much there.

Be cool, my brothers!

NWA MEC is meeting tomorrow. (Regular meeting)

The talks ain't over.

The DAL team has nobody to talk to while the NWA team is briefing the MEC.

We're in a weird vortex here. None of this stuff is "officially" happening. It can't, because there are risks to other items if/when it becomes "official".

Until Lee Moak and Dave Stevens send you an e-mail that announces all exploratory discussions are permanently suspended...with no chance of a deal...it would be wise to assume there is still "something" going on.

OK, talked to two DALPA reps again today who were in the lounge to answer questions. They said DAL/NWA pilots are talking right now.
What? You mean Occam was right? Who woulda thunk it?! ;)

Occam, just out of curiosity what is your position with NWA? I think I read somewhere you are on the hiring board, conducting interviews or perhaps in the training dept? Thanks

Things are very quiet here at NWA, too quiet. The MEC is not tipping its hat on any information from the NWALPA/DALALPA neg.

IMHO, DOH intergration of both seniority lists with a no bump, no flush seems to be a fair way to go.

If not then fences around the equipment be put into place until the most junior pilot on the property retires. Coincidentally, that was what the NWA/Republic merger arbitrated, called affectionately, "The Roberts Award". This ruling finally ended January of 2006.

Personally, I do not want to fly DAL equipment nor bid into any of their bases. All of the NWA pilots that I have talked with agree also feel the same way.

In fact, these pilots all agree that a merger is not wanted, and that NWA is in a very good financial shape right now and a merger with DAL may reverse that positive trend.

An arbitrated ruling on the seniority list intergration certainnally will bring more negatives than positives to the solution for both NWA and DAL.

I have found the solution!!! after a couple of rounds of Tequila, me and Consuela have solved the problem. How many pilots are there now?? Doesn't matter. Everyone gets a #. 1-Whatever. Put all those #'s in my sombrero. I draw # until my sombrero is empty and do a shot for every #. You now have the new Senority list.! Why hasn't ANYONE come up with this yet?

Latest resources

Back