• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Net Jets to Furlough 500...??? Right...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll take it the other way. I have flown with several guys that are over the age of 60 (most likely to take the buyout) that have never even been on the message board. So one could argue that a larger majority of guys taking the buyout have no idea about the informal poll. FWIW.

Bingo. I'm thinking that 7% is actually low due to self-selection of the most computer savvy individuals in that demographic. I'm betting that over 200 take the early out.

Griz,

Did you see my math on it?

If everyone on the 18 day schedule switched to 14 days ... it is the equivalent of 360 fewer pilots. If 75% switched it is = to about 260 pilots.

260 + 200 (early-out) is the equivalent of 460 fewer pilots by these two measures alone.

I think that is an achievable goal. I doubt we have fewer than 75% switch to 14 days.

460 Pilot jobs potentially saved by Labor Management Cooperation ....

Last edited:
Griz,

Did you see my math on it?

If everyone on the 18 day schedule switched to 14 days ... it is the equivalent of 360 fewer pilots. If 75% switched it is = to about 260 pilots.

260 + 200 (early-out) is the equivalent of 460 fewer pilots by these two measures alone.

I think that is an achievable goal. I doubt we have fewer than 75% switch to 14 days.

460 Pilot jobs potentially saved by Labor Management Cooperation ....

Your math is fuzzy IMHO. You have 200 taking early outs, those are guys no longer working, so 200 less pilots. Your net gain is only 260. It is all in how you look at it.

Now if you are talking about just the bottom of the senority list not the whole list, then I buy your numbers. Also think 75% coming off the 18 is a very high percentage, I would say 50% is closer to the truth.

Last edited:
I know it has been asked before but the real question is whether NJ wants to save jobs or money. The answer is both to some extent. An early buy out saves the company 33 percent of a salary and training cost. A pilot flying 14 days a month versus 18 saves them 10 or 20k depending on a lot of factors. A furloughed pilot gets his severance and then saves them 100k a year. There is some magic number that NJA is looking for and if it is not reached by voluntary measures they will do what they must. I have been shocked to learn of a few younger (30-40 year olds) guys who are considering the early out. I assume they have other careers lined up and with 66 percent pay and bennies it would make a seamless transistion. I am truly amazed at the options we have to choose from.

I doubt in the June-Sept trimester we will see more than 40% participation. If it carries over to the Oct-Jan trimester, though, the 18-day will go very senior and I think we'll see 50-75% participation. Hopefully we'll be given word about whether the reduced schedules will continue before we have to bid on schedules for October.

Keep in mind

An early out bid award is not necessarily an early out. The deal is not done until the paper is signed and in the case of the over 40's, 7 days has elapsed.

I would imagine that there will be a fair number of people bidding in order to keep the option available until they reach a final decision. Something about feet in need of some warm socks comes to mind.

Latest resources

Back