Looks like CAL/UAL MECs want the RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

HOUSTON (Dow Jones)-Pilots at Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL) and UAL Corp.'s (UAUA) United Airlines want to end outsourcing of flying to regional partners following their planned merger, a move likely to shake up the industry's already turbulent labor relations.

The companies' pilots aim to finalize a new joint contract by the end of the year, and this week proposed bringing all flying in-house over a period of years following a merger that would create the world's largest airline by revenue.

U.S. network airlines have outsourced large parts of their domestic networks to an array of regional airlines over the past 20 years in a bid to cut costs, though the amount is capped by "scope" clauses in their pilots' collective bargaining agreements.

Jay Pierce, head of Continental's pilots' union, expects the proposal to receive a cool reception from management, but said mainline company pilots can fly regional jets just as cheaply following years of contract concessions.

"We put it on the table [on Wednesday]," said Pierce in an interview at the union's Houston office. "It's a proposition we believe will not be readily acceptable [to management]."

Continental Airlines has one of the industry's most restrictive scope clauses. Only mainline pilots can fly jets with more than 50 seats, and the airline contracts ExpressJet Holdings Inc. (XJT) to fly more than 200 smaller Embraer aircraft on its behalf.

United has more flexible work practices that enable it to fly more than 150 70-seat regional jets. Rising fuel costs have made 50-seat jets less economic, while the emergence of new aircraft in the 70 to 130-seat range have made airlines look to loosen the restrictions of existing scope clauses.

The proposal from the Continental and United pilots includes an initial cap on outsourcing, then a move away from the practice over what Pierce described as "multiple years".

Continental declined comment.

Management throughout the industry has become stuck in a mindset where they feel they have to subcontract more flying, said Pierce.

U.S. network airlines have already carved out almost all of their regional flying units. AMR Corp. (AMR) is working on plans that could lead to a sale or spin-off of its American Eagle business, and Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) recently sold two of its three remaining regional operations.

Pierce said he is confident a new pilots' deal can be hammered out with Continental and United by year-end, in line with the airlines' merger schedule, though a decision will be taken Oct. 12 whether enough progress has been made to continue the current fast pace of negotiations.

The airlines and the pilots have learned lessons from previous mergers, especially the combination of America West to form an enlarged US Airways Group Inc. (LCC), where labor issues remain unresolved after five years. Pilots at Delta and Northwest Airlines forged a joint deal before the two carriers merged in 2008.

"Being third is good," said Pierce. He said one of the thorniest issues - merging the airlines' pilot seniority lists - won't be tackled until a new contract is agreed.

Other areas include furloughs. United has more than 1,400 pilots on furlough while Continental has 147, all of whom Pierce expects to be called back by year-end. The transition deal calls for furloughed United pilots to be called back to whichever airline requires them before any fresh hiring.

Great news if you're at mainline already, but not so great if you're a regional depending on the growth that the relaxed scope could bring. Should be interesting to see how it works, ASA has trip/duty rigs that Continental does not have, such as min day and 2:1.

Great news if you're at mainline already, but not so great if you're a regional depending on the growth that the relaxed scope could bring. Should be interesting to see how it works, ASA has trip/duty rigs that Continental does not have, such as min day and 2:1.

I'm sure it'll be helpful driving the lav truck after we're done with the regionals. It's gonna happen. There's too much at risk for us and it's the number 1 issue above compensation. I think everyone gets it finally. I also don't think the United folks will make the same mistake twice.

By all means, let's get more jobs at mainline. That's what should have been the case all along.

I just find it funny that they want to do this AFTER a ton of their guys are on furlough. I didn't hear them screaming about scope when it led to bigger paychecks and more work rules and larger retirements.

Funny how morality in the majors is a sliding scale.

By all means, let's get more jobs at mainline. That's what should have been the case all along.

I just find it funny that they want to do this AFTER a ton of their guys are on furlough. I didn't hear them screaming about scope when it led to bigger paychecks and more work rules and larger retirements.

Funny how morality in the majors is a sliding scale.

That is the reality. I tbelieve it is politically suicide for any alpa mec to agree on scope relief.

He wants to fly a 100 seat jet for 50/70 seat pay.

Now why do you think that every RJ driver out there wants to stay at a regional? I'd rather be somewhere with the option to fly transcons, crossings, and domestic ops, with better work and rest rules, and quality of life than I can get at a regional.

Continental does not have those work rules. They don't. Will their new contract include better work rules? I sure hope so. If they want to fly RJs and take them from their feeder companies, I think that's great for their pilots.

Now why do you think that every RJ driver out there wants to stay at a regional? I'd rather be somewhere with the option to fly transcons, crossings, and domestic ops, with better work and rest rules, and quality of life than I can get at a regional.

Continental does not have those work rules. They don't. Will their new contract include better work rules? I sure hope so. If they want to fly RJs and take them from their feeder companies, I think that's great for their pilots.

It's good for everyone. It's not about major airline pilots versus regional airline pilots. It's creating and forming an industry that for once can provide stable long term careers for all. This whipsawing and outsourcing has to stop. It's out of control. We're like a pack of starved dogs going after a small meal. The United folks had this scope issue put to them with a gun to their heads. The CAL folks had C 02 put before them with a gun to their heads. Not now.....and it's gonna change.

In the discussion what is the plan for the fines and penalties that the airline will incur by recovering the lost flying. Does anyone know when the contracts are coming due and what fines and assessments will be levied if the contracts are cancelled?

En Mort Main

Latest resources

Back