• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looks like CAL/UAL MECs want the RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's all fine...take back all the flying and the planes but, bring the crews with them in their current positions. Put up fences to protect QOL issues on both sides.
Negative. An RJ Capt that set up a permanent shop at a regional and enjoyed the benefits of super seniorty never expected to be a widebody Capt at his new legacy. Why should he gain an advantage over a legacy FO that did expect in due time to be a WB Capt?

If mainline mgt can make $$$ with current regional pay rates and work rules, they can make $$$ with those planes and crews added onto the"bottom" of their list. Even with the current crews at their current rates...
There are most cost involved.... it isn't that simple...

It's a win-win-win. No more mainline furloughs, no regional crews furloughed, and mgt continues to make $$$$ ( maybe even more if they shed the added cost of regional mgt and operating expenses )....oh yeah, eventually, all the flying will return to is rightful place......mainline.....and oh yeah ( take 2 ), add those 7000 regional pilots to the 10000 or so mainline pilots ( now pulling in the SAME direction TOGETHER! ) and I'd say we'd have some pretty good opportunities to change the future of this career positively for the first time in quite a while...
Sounds good... but that will happen after the dust settles... time heals wounds...

Yeah, sure this will happen! And the airlines will stop charging for bags and start serving free food and passengers will dress up to fly and will be allowed to smoke and all flight attendants will be young and hot..... Sure!

Negative. An RJ Capt that set up a permanent shop at a regional and enjoyed the benefits of super seniorty never expected to be a widebody Capt at his new legacy. Why should he gain an advantage over a legacy FO that did expect in due time to be a WB Capt?

On the first part; NOT TRUE. On Sept. 10th 2001 I fully expected to be a wide body Captain by retirement. I have not set up shop here, the shop was built out of concrete around me by the legacy pilots. So now there is no future for me here, because I only fly for the tallest midget, or at a "regional free" legacy, because of their crappy pay and retirement.

On the second part, I would not want to be senior to a legacy pilot. I just don't want to lose what I now have. Everyone I know, outside of aviation whom call themselves professionals, NEVER take pay, benefit, or QOL hits to work for a different employer. Why the F is it expected of us? How can we realistically call ourselves professionals? Not like I have a say in this matter, but I would be onboard with a plan for a "regional free" airline only through a merger with fences.

On the first part; NOT TRUE. On Sept. 10th 2001 I fully expected to be a wide body Captain by retirement. I have not set up shop here, the shop was built out of concrete around me by the legacy pilots. So now there is no future for me here, because I only fly for the tallest midget, or at a "regional free" legacy, because of their crappy pay and retirement.

On the second part, I would not want to be senior to a legacy pilot. I just don't want to lose what I now have. Everyone I know, outside of aviation whom call themselves professionals, NEVER take pay, benefit, or QOL hits to work for a different employer. Why the F is it expected of us? How can we realistically call ourselves professionals? Not like I have a say in this matter, but I would be onboard with a plan for a "regional free" airline only through a merger with fences.

That is life in avaition. Get over it. You took the job at an regional knowing if the legacy carrier cancells your contract or takes the airframes back your done.

Why should you be any different than the rest of us? I (like 99.99% of all commuter/regional pilots who left for a major) took a pay cut and gave up my regional/commuter years to go to a major. Why should you keep yours?

Even though I "flowed" from my wholly owned commuter to the mainline/major I gave up everything, years of service, started at year one pay and took a seat behind all the mainline guys that were there before me. The only thing I got to keep from my original commuter DOH was my original DOH for nonrev privileges.

There is one point missing. Mgmnt ain't gonna let this fly. You know why? Longevity.

It has taken me over ten years at a regional to get even in the neighborhood of 100k. If I go to mainline I get a nice little financial reset. I start over in longevity so by the time I upgrade, I am only a 8-10 year pay captain. If this went through, by the time I will upgrade on the same equipment I will be a 15-18 year captain with corresponding pay.

There is a big reason we exist. Money. Y'all at CAL/UAL will have to buy this with your hard earned money.

I think is a noble cause. A few years late, and under the guns of bankruptcy court forced upon you, but late none the less.

How much are you willing to spend to buy those jobs back? I have a sneaking suspicion that the 30% pay hit y'all took is more of a real issue. The ire of the fire might be scope because of all those pesky little RJs taxiing past, but when it comes to negotiating for pay, there will be far more dollar signs in your eyes than that 30k job that you don't need anyways.

Good luck.

There is one point missing. Mgmnt ain't gonna let this fly. You know why? Longevity.

It has taken me over ten years at a regional to get even in the neighborhood of 100k. If I go to mainline I get a nice little financial reset. I start over in longevity so by the time I upgrade, I am only a 8-10 year pay captain. If this went through, by the time I will upgrade on the same equipment I will be a 15-18 year captain with corresponding pay.

There is a big reason we exist. Money. Y'all at CAL/UAL will have to buy this with your hard earned money.

I think is a noble cause. A few years late, and under the guns of bankruptcy court forced upon you, but late none the less.

How much are you willing to spend to buy those jobs back? I have a sneaking suspicion that the 30% pay hit y'all took is more of a real issue. The ire of the fire might be scope because of all those pesky little RJs taxiing past, but when it comes to negotiating for pay, there will be far more dollar signs in your eyes than that 30k job that you don't need anyways.

Good luck.

We ALL took a financial hit and longevity hit when we left the regional/military world for our major airline. You are out of touch with reality if you think you will be handed a golden ticket which allows you to retain your current QOL AND be integrated with a major. We will give nothing, nada, zero dollars to "buy" back OUR flying. You fly for a subcontractor. You don't have any rights, just a feeling of entitlement.

RTFP.

What is your problem? I don't want any of your money, seniority, or job. I am talking about the financial benefit the company gets when there are two levels.

You are so wrapped up in your own paranoid worries that you can't admit the facts. You will have to buy this. Not from me. You will have to buy it at the negotiations table. Every item is bought. Even if you agreed to fly for the same pay as the regional pilots, you will have to buy it because of the longevity issue.

Relax. I actually support the cause. I have nothing to worry about. If there are more jobs at mainline I benefit. Save your outrage for the company.

And just what rate do you think you will get at mainline??? Probably less, and WAY LESS when they bring you in at first year pay!

You are such a whiner, complainer and a wimp. Suck it up and deal with it. I've been dealing with it this entire decade. Time to make right. Yes 2 wrongs will make it RIGHT...finally.

Latest resources

Back