• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest DAL/NWA arbitration debates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fact is you are either lying or full of crap. You choose.

Then you won't mind a dynamic list, because you wouldn't of had NWA retirements anyway, right?
Your witness, not mine.

Use a pure relative seniority by equipment & dynamic until the day the last current seniority list pilot retires, that is fine by me. Do you remember the fair plan I proposed? Most of the NWA pilots liked it. Search "Fair Seniority Integration" and it should come up.

Problems are that no arbitrator will award and no company can work a relative list. The training costs while everyone plays leapfrog in Toga's and the staffing problems doom the concept.

Your witness, not mine.

Use a pure relative seniority by equipment & dynamic until the day the last current seniority list pilot retires, that is fine by me. Do you remember the fair plan I proposed? Most of the NWA pilots liked it. Search "Fair Seniority Integration" and it should come up.

You are making stuff up, but that is par for the course over this SLI process from you and GL. Should surprise nobody. Print the testimony.

Problems are that no arbitrator will award and no company can work a relative list. The training costs while everyone plays leapfrog in Toga's and the staffing problems doom the concept.

So you are saying the training cost to train a pilot increases? OMG, are you a fricking retard? It costs exactly the same because we all have the same training freezes etc. NWA dealt with the 20 year roberts award just fine, it's called a computer.

BTW, from what I can see, there must be a reason the arbitrators wanted to learn more about a dynamic list.

The only thing I "made up" was my willingness to accept your idea, if you were willing to start with status quo and keep your dynamic concept until we both retire.

The discussion in the arbitration proceeding as to why dynamic would be difficult to implement is common sense. One side moving, then the other, is going to set off more training cycles and make it more difficult to staff the business.

Of course, your green book pilots will probably retire off of smaller equipment, so it isn't like we are talking 777 or 747 retirements that effect a whole lot of people in the stovepipe.

And another nail in Dynamic's Coffin:
Quote:
Q. No other airline has a dynamic
9 seniority list advice, do they?
10 A. Not that I'm aware of.
I LOVE this response. By your same reasoning, we shouldn't even be flying at all, because in 1903, "flyin' machines" hadn't been invented by someone else already.

New merger, new ideas. Think outside the box. The arbitrators are NOT bound by precendent, nor are they restricted to only what has been done before. They could make an award based on wang/breast size, and be fully within their rights to do so.

Several of our pilots were at the hearing, and listened to the comments between the parties and the arbitrators, and there is strong ancedotal evidence that this is where the award is heading.

Time to play "lets make a deal". I see a negotiated settlement more likely now than ever.

Nu

Wow, that is not the impression I got from reading the transcript. But I have no huge hang up with dynamic as I do want to preserve the NWA guys status quo.

But, if Dynamic is used, then we have to begin with a ratio by equipment that recognizes today's status quo.

But, I think dynamic as a concept is dead. It has been tried before, but has never been implemented in any labor situation. Bloch (as luck would have it) is the only labor expert who has any experience with a dynamic list. He presided over an integration where the two sides volunteered to try dynamic, but who then never implemented it. The airline failed, so we don't know how it would have turned out.

"Attrition has not been accepted as an inherent equity in SLI proceedings before," so I think it is a bit of a curiosity.

Last edited:
As you are aware, the DAL proposal calls for a separate aircraft type for the DC9 FOs.

For me, the highlight of the day was Mr. Katz last questions for a DAL rep. It went something like this;

Katz: Captain ________, you are an MD88 captain. Is that correct?

DAL Rep: That is correct, sir.

Katz: What does it say on your license?

DAL Rep: A310, B767/757, Uh......DC-9.

the 764 and the 767 have the same type. Should they be treated the same?

nwaredtail.... have you ever actually been in the cockpit of an md-88 and compared it to a 9?

Even the 717 is also a DC-9 type rating... I don't know how the FAA signed off to that one at all.

Regardless... your point is very lost on those of us who actually know both aircraft groups... it would be dangerous to have the same pilots transition from type to type in between legs.

nwaredtail.... have you ever actually been in the cockpit of an md-88 and compared it to a 9?

Even the 717 is also a DC-9 type rating... I don't know how the FAA signed off to that one at all.

Regardless... your point is very lost on those of us who actually know both aircraft groups... it would be dangerous to have the same pilots transition from type to type in between legs.

aircraft types is not what the merger committees were discussing. i agree you shouldnt go between the these two types. Dangerous? this I disagree with.

Fact is you are either lying or full of crap. You choose.

Nice. You called him a liar or full of crap in one post and a retard in another. You're a real piece of .... work. Are you sure you don't work on the ramp?

Fact is any dynamic list would have to take everyone currently on the list through retirement and separate the equipment we bring to the merger and its replacement. A 15 year dynamic list just happens to expire right when DL retirements are at a peak relative to NW. Your guys have appeared utterly self-serving through this entire process and have done nothing at all for the combined pilot group. You're very fortunate you weren't dealing with another group like your own.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back