• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest DAL/NWA arbitration debates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aircraft types is not what the merger committees were discussing. i agree you shouldnt go between the these two types. Dangerous? this I disagree with.

I didn't see the context, nor did you post the context.

Guaranteed there would be plenty of violations at the least if guys were transitioning back and forth between the diesels and the maddogs.

You guys really don't understand how arbitration works.

I am suprised the Delta pilots don't seem to care about this integration. I was at the hearing on Saturday the 15th and there were about 35 NorthWest onlookers and only 2 Delta guys in a DELTA Base. Must not be very important.

Back to the point. Idiots like General Lee don't seem to understand how arbitration works. I suggest you read Blochs opening comments on the 15th. When the Arbitrators make an award they are not allowed to go outside of what was presented. They can't just pull an idea out of their ace and implement it. For this reason Bloch and Co. could only choose the unfair Delta static plan or the little more fair DOH NWA proposal. The Arbitrators wanted more then a choice between two bad choices and asked the groups to make an alternate proposal on dynamic seniority, (which any idiot will see is 100 percent fair because everyone gets exactly what they would have before the merger).
Your geniuses on the Delta Merger Committee rejected the opportunity to present an alternate (they want a windfall or nothing) and spent the day trying to say the same old "NWA got a pay rate raise so we get their attrition and seniority",

NWA showed good faith and obliged Bloch with a alternate proposal. By the way, your lawyer tried to say it stapled 1/3 of the Delta guys on the bottom which was absolutely not true. At one point the Delta guys are where they would have been pre-merger......on the bottom of THEIR equipment and the list 5 years later reverses the trend as Delta retirements begin.

How is it unfair for everyone to get exactly what they expected. The Fact your guys are against Dynamic shows their arrogance and their desire for a windfall.
In a Dynamic with restrictions a NWA guy retires a NWA guy gets his spot on NWA aircraft. A Delta guy retires a Delta Guy gets his slot on a Delta aircraft......so tell me again how this is not fair.

Our witness was trying to explain the reversal when your lawyer said the abomination quote.

The fact is our retirements at NWA are happening sooner then yours and then yours will kick in, be patient and you will get there exactly as EXPECTED!

The arguments your team are putting up are weak..."its never been done before" thats "never been considered before" each merger has unique parameters to consider and the fact most have been ugly suggests a new direction. I think the Arbitrators hear what the Delta guys are really saying......."whine sniffle, we are Delta we deserve a windfall". Good luck with that!!! I predict dynamic will be the way.

the 764 and the 767 have the same type. Should they be treated the same?

The 757 and the 767 also have the same type, and they're treated the same, so, what's your point?

The whole FMS/steam gauge is argument is laughable.

At PDT, we had EFIS and steam gauge aircraft. One type had a RNAV unit, and the other had a GPS/FMS. Pilots went back and forth leg by leg. Pilots got one day of differences ground school...not even any OE.

The MD-88 really isn't even full EFIS, in the Airbus, or even RJ sense of the term. It's that sort-of EFIS that's really just a EADI and EHSI with an FMS thrown in. Yawn.

Nu

How is it unfair for everyone to get exactly what they expected. The Fact your guys are against Dynamic shows their arrogance and their desire for a windfall.

In a Dynamic with restrictions a NWA guy retires a NWA guy gets his spot on NWA aircraft. A Delta guy retires a Delta Guy gets his slot on a Delta aircraft......so tell me again how this is not fair.

It would be a great way of doing it if it ran until every pilot on the list retires and completely separated current equipment and it's replacement. 15 years just happens to let NW enjoy their retirements (good) and also enjoy a good portion of the greater number of DL retirements after the 15 year point. A true dynamic list would allow DL guys only to fly the larger guage equipment we bring and then take sole advantage of our larger number of retirements from 10 years on while you do the same with yours. In other words it's a lifetime fence which is fine with almost everyone here. Unfortunately that's not what your guys proposed.

If you're hoping for this, I think you'll be dissapointed. I think what you'll see is a ratio that allows all to share the gains and pains on some equal basis on a single list.

Last edited:
You guys really don't understand how arbitration works.

I am suprised the Delta pilots don't seem to care about this integration. I was at the hearing on Saturday the 15th and there were about 35 NorthWest onlookers and only 2 Delta guys in a DELTA Base. Must not be very important.

Back to the point. Idiots like General Lee don't seem to understand how arbitration works. I suggest you read Blochs opening comments on the 15th. When the Arbitrators make an award they are not allowed to go outside of what was presented. They can't just pull an idea out of their ace and implement it. For this reason Bloch and Co. could only choose the unfair Delta static plan or the little more fair DOH NWA proposal. The Arbitrators wanted more then a choice between two bad choices and asked the groups to make an alternate proposal on dynamic seniority, (which any idiot will see is 100 percent fair because everyone gets exactly what they would have before the merger).
Your geniuses on the Delta Merger Committee rejected the opportunity to present an alternate (they want a windfall or nothing) and spent the day trying to say the same old "NWA got a pay rate raise so we get their attrition and seniority",

NWA showed good faith and obliged Bloch with a alternate proposal. By the way, your lawyer tried to say it stapled 1/3 of the Delta guys on the bottom which was absolutely not true. At one point the Delta guys are where they would have been pre-merger......on the bottom of THEIR equipment and the list 5 years later reverses the trend as Delta retirements begin.

Our witness was trying to explain the reversal when your lawyer said the abomination quote.

The fact is our retirements at NWA are happening sooner then yours and then yours will kick in, be patient and you will get there exactly as EXPECTED!

The arguments your team are putting up are weak..."its never been done before" thats "never been considered before" each merger has unique parameters to consider and the fact most have been ugly suggests a new direction. I think the Arbitrators hear what the Delta guys are really saying......."whine sniffle, we are Delta we deserve a windfall". Good luck with that!!! I predict dynamic will be the way.

Very well written and exactly what is happening. As far as Delta not offering any other way of making this happen, all that I can say is, "isn't this what USAIR did?"

Thanks for going to the meeting. You would think LAX being a DAL base, more of their pilots would show support for the guys trying to get them a windfall.

AirCowboy,

Sincerely, thanks for at least reading and understanding, which is more than most folks do.

The "Abomination" quote was a swipe at your Atty. A NWA witness used to the term first to describe the Delta proposed ratio.

I for one agree with the status quo benefit of the dynamic concept. As long as it is started from a fair ratio that recognizes pay differences and current equipment. The problem is in the implementation and duration. NWA wants to cut it off before the Delta retirements kick in.

And of course, we have to spit growth airplanes if we are going to keep the list split.

We are not hearing much about this set of facts:
11 The third take-away is, as we said
12 before, Northwest has had a significant loss
13 of aircraft in 2008 starting in January,
14 April, June, and then a further briefing to
15 their board of directors in September. And
16 then overall that would cause, on a
17 stand-alone basis, Northwest would go through
18 2009 with many fewer jobs than they started in
19 2008.

Management came to us sometime in
22 September and said unless we hire more pilots
23 now, we're going to bust through the TLV
24 requirements for the MD-88 co-pilot position.
25 And we have done an analysis that
2 showed -- a comprehensive analysis that showed
3 the degree of overstaffing at Northwest. And
4 so given that information, when management
5 came to us we agreed to waive that section of
6 the contract to allow Delta to understaff the
7 MD-88 co-pilot category for a certain period
8 of time in anticipation of future events.
The problem continues to be that NWA comes to the party with more pilots than jobs and that scares the Delta side when NWA tries to stick Delta pilots below the DC9 guys. We've been trying to hold slots open for your pilots ... not that anyone has got on this board and thanked Delta's MD88 pilots who are working their butts off to make that possible.

Again, I've got no problem with NWA pilots getting the benefit of NWA retirements.

I think it is most likely the arbitrators will award a ratio and figure the increased pay more than makes up for attrition. That's what has been done over and over again in the past.

Last edited:
there's been major fleet reductions in
21 2008. In January in that memo that we just
22 referenced, that was where they initially
23 announced the loss of 33 DC-9s and three
24 freighters.
25 In April, there was an additional
TSG Reporting - Worldwide 877-702-9580
Page 2725
1 PILOTS OF NORTHWEST - DELTA ARBITRATION
2 announcement of ten more DC-9s, four A-320's
3 and three 757s. And then in June of 2008
4 there was an additional announcement of seven,
5 757s.
6 In September of 2008 the Northwest
7 management made a presentation to their board
8 of directors about their future fleet plan
9 that contained some further reductions, even
10 from that June memo that had been sent out....
Captain Stevens had talked
5 about and there was a range of 250 to 300
6 furloughs that Northwest management had
7 communicated to Captain Stevens.

Last edited:
there's been major fleet reductions in
21 2008. In January in that memo that we just
22 referenced, that was where they initially
23 announced the loss of 33 DC-9s and three
24 freighters.
25 In April, there was an additional
TSG Reporting - Worldwide 877-702-9580
Page 2725
1 PILOTS OF NORTHWEST - DELTA ARBITRATION
2 announcement of ten more DC-9s, four A-320's
3 and three 757s. And then in June of 2008
4 there was an additional announcement of seven,
5 757s.
6 In September of 2008 the Northwest
7 management made a presentation to their board
8 of directors about their future fleet plan
9 that contained some further reductions, even
10 from that June memo that had been sent out....
Captain Stevens had talked
5 about and there was a range of 250 to 300
6 furloughs that Northwest management had
7 communicated to Captain Stevens.

Any logical person knows that any fleet announcements after the merger announcement date (which all of these were) were driven by mother Delta. Any reductions will be shared by the combined group, as has been the case in almost all previous cases. How many planes did Delta announce they were parking a few months ago, 17ish I think I remember.

Latest resources

Back