How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bobbysamd said:
Check hauling experience is 135 time, which makes one a club member. In any event, despite factual evidence to the contrary, you are entitled to your opinion.

Sorry Bobby but you're wrong on the age thing. I know of 2 guys in their upper 30's who were hired at Skyway last year. One did only flight instructing (part-time no less) and the other built his flight time by boring holes in the sky. NEITHER came from the 135 world.

If you perceive age discrimination, that's your right. I just think you're wrong.

HMM

HowlinMadMurdoc said:
I know of 2 guys in their upper 30's who were hired at Skyway last year. One did only flight instructing (part-time no less) and the other built his flight time by boring holes in the sky. NEITHER came from the 135 world.

If you perceive age discrimination, that's your right. I just think you're wrong.
I have another friend who is within days of my age (54). He interviewed at Trans-States about six years ago. He was 48. He had very high total time, about 8000+ hours, but was comparatively light on multi, about 700. He was not hired. He found out that he was not hired, flat-out, because of his age. This gentleman has been my friend for twelve years and I have no reason to doubt him.

I do not feel that I am wrong about age discrimination.

bobbysamd said:
He was not hired. He found out that he was not hired, flat-out, because of his age.

Now how on Earth did he find this out for sure? Heard it through a friend of a friend? As a paralegal you should know that no employer in their right mind would ever admit to not hiring someone based on age.

Straight from the horse's mouth

PCL_128 said:
Now how on Earth did he find this out for sure? Heard it through a friend of a friend? As a paralegal you should know that no employer in their right mind would ever admit to not hiring someone based on age.
I don't know what being a paralegal has to do with it.

No, it was not hearsay. My friend explained that he was standing outside the interview venue and someone from Trans States told him.

This same friend told me recently he had a similar experience at an Aloha Island Air interview. He was told, flat-out, he was rejected because of age.

Here, again, facts.

Last edited:
I was hired at a regional at 42. I was not military. Was just a career government employee who instructed part-time. I appreciate the opportunity I was given, and I made the most of it. Today, I am a 737 Captain.

bobbysamd said:
I don't know what being a paralegal has to do with it.

I just figured as a paralegal you would know that discriminating against those over the age of 40 is illegal. No company would ever admit to age discrimination for fear of a huge lawsuit.

No, it was not hearsay. My friend explained that he was standing outside the interview venue and someone from Trans States told him.

This same friend told me recently he had a similar experience at an Aloha Island Air interview. He was told, flat-out, he was rejected because of age.

Here, again, facts.

Booby, you are very bitter. It's easy to post stuff here when you aren't required to prove it.

You have an excuse, but I personally don't think you have the reason.

Maybe those evil interviewers didn't like your race, or religion, you might have a case Booby!

You diminish the accomplishments of over 40's everywhere with this
drivel:
intransitive senses
1 : to let saliva dribble from the mouth : SLAVER
2 : to talk stupidly and carelessly
transitive senses
1 : to utter in an infantile or imbecilic way
2 : to waste or fritter in a childish fashion
- driv·el·er /-v(&-)l&r/ noun
FLAME AWAY !

PCL_128 said:
I just figured as a paralegal you would know that discriminating against those over the age of 40 is illegal. No company would ever admit to age discrimination for fear of a huge lawsuit.
Yes, I have studied employment law on my own and am familiar with the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. The problem with age cases and employment discrimination cases, generally, is they are hard to prove. My friend was told what he was told, but try to find it in writing. It would boil down to his word against TSA's. Companies hide behind discriminatory practices by saying they liked the other applicants better, or that they had better qualified applicants, etc. whether or not it is true.

Inasmuch as you have asked, an airline's way out of practicing any kind of discrimination always is safety. The airlines cite age as a bona fide occupational qualification ("BFOQ") to hide behind age discrimination, see, e.g, Coupi v. Federal Express Corporation (this underlining is a link to the case). This was a Federal Court case in which a pilot who had turned age 60 sued to beat the age 60 rule. Perhaps this will change if Congress abolishes the Age 60 Rule.

Last edited:
jppt2000 said:

Here, again, facts.

Booby, you are very bitter. It's easy to post stuff here when you aren't required to prove it.

You have an excuse, but I personally don't think you have the reason.

Maybe those evil interviewers didn't like your race, or religion, you might have a case Booby!

You diminish the accomplishments of over 40's everywhere with this
drivel:
intransitive senses
1 : to let saliva dribble from the mouth : SLAVER
2 : to talk stupidly and carelessly
transitive senses
1 : to utter in an infantile or imbecilic way
2 : to waste or fritter in a childish fashion
- driv·el·er /-v(&-)l&r/ noun
FLAME AWAY !
Perhaps not required, but gladly volunteered, if you care to read.

Other than that, responding to this poster, who has a two-and-a-half year history of hurling insults and fleeing when confonted, is a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:

Here, again, facts.
Here again, utter bull$hit. I was hired there at age 38. I have a good buddy who at age 37 was in the most recent new hire class....1200/200, late career-changer, all CFI time.

Latest resources

Back