• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One reason doctors and lawyers are more respected and considered more professional is that it is difficult and time consuming to achieve those titles.

Once a doctor or attorney gets their license to practice,no more tests! His/her career isn't on the line every 6 or 12 months like a commercial pilot's in a PC check.

PCL_128 said:
Bobby, I know your background. The fact remains that you never made it to the airlines so I find it somewhat strange for you to be passing on advice to people on how to do what you never could. When I search for advice on something, I find someone that has been successful at what I hope to accomplish. I don't ask advice of someone that failed to reach their goal.
Actually, you can learn a lot from others' failures. How NOT to do things. Bobby comes in here and puts down that which has helped others find employment. Just because it didn't help him, it must be bad. He hasn't been in this business for years, yet comes in here and tells us all how it is. He hasn't been to a job fair in over a decade, yet comes in here and tells us that what is being said there is a pack of lies and he knows not what is being said. He'll then ignore corrections to his false claims and bring them up again next time the subject comes up. It was Kit Darby's fault that he couldn't land an airline job over a period of time when tens of thousands of pilots were hired. He was a victim of age discrimination. He asked a question at an interview, oh that cost him another job...better not do that. Sort of reminds me of the proverbial guy who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse. The broken record gets old.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Actually, you can learn a lot from others' failures. How NOT to do things.

Ahh, excellent point.

Broken record

Hugh Jorgan said:
He hasn't been to a job fair in over a decade, yet comes in here and tells us that what is being said there is a pack of lies and he knows not what is being said.
"Been there, done that." It only took one experience. More people agree with me about Kit's job fairs than disagree.
It was Kit Darby's fault that he couldn't land an airline job over a period of time when tens of thousands of pilots were hired.
Ever heard of the term, "misquote," Hugh? You just have.

I took Kit's advice about (1) how to write cover letters, (2) how to write resumes, (3) what to wear at interviews, (4) which interview books to read. I bought the whole package, lock, stock and barrel. Did everything he told me to do. I don't blame Kit for anything, except for buying into his "pilot shortage" sophistry.

I did use Irv Jasinski, one of Kit's vendors, to prep for an interview. I did that after reading Irv's book, which Kit sold me. Glad I did. I got the job.
He was a victim of age discrimination.
Yes. I believe I was. Little intelligence is needed to determine that when one applies to the same companies as one's co-workers, who are fifteen years or more younger, and they get called and I, at forty, am not, that I suffered age discrimination. I'm not the only one; read this thread, if you dare.
He asked a question at an interview, oh that cost him another job...better not do that.
I stand by my position on that as well. One never knows for sure with whom he/she is interviewing. I did not know until years later that the person with whom I was interviewing was anti-RJ. Ironically, Mesa has become a leading operator of both RJs. Watch what you say or ask at interviews.
The broken record gets old.
Whether or not you like it, I stand by everything I have written.

Last edited:
Seeing as how there have been hundreds of over-40 regional pilots hired, I don't believe for a second that age discrimination had anything to do with you not getting hired. Bad attitude is probably more likely.

Bobbysamd's "tude"

PCL_128 said:
Seeing as how there have been hundreds of over-40 regional pilots hired, I don't believe for a second that age discrimination had anything to do with you not getting hired.
Once again, as someone who bought his/her way in, you are in no position to criticize.

Once more, a point of clarification. I do not believe that over-forty pilots who have been flying for years and who have corporate, 135, military or other advanced experience suffer age discrimination. Members of the "club." Once more, I believe that career changers, such as myself, who started later and offer only flight instructing experience, such as my younger peers at the time, experience age discrimination.
Bad attitude is probably more likely.
No bad attitude here, my "friend." I fell over myself expressing my gratitude at being given even a few minutes of time, because my interviews were so few, and short in duration. When one is asked only a few basic questions, one has few opportunities to exhibit one's 'tude.

Bad attitude, as I understand it; correct me if I'm wrong; includes, e.g., exhibiting discourtesy to an interviewer, not answering questions, and acting as if being there is a waste of time. I was hired into other aviation jobs where employers spent more time with me, such as over a period of days at one company, and had plenty of opportunities to see my "bad" "attitude." In any event, I did not pay companies for any of my interviews.

Last edited:
Bobby once in a while has some good advice, but he spreads more bad gouge based on his bitterness and what sounds like an inability to accurately assess his failures than good. I'm guessing there's not a paralegal message board out there.

YIP has a lot of good advice to offer, but it's often hard to see it through the lunacy of his college degree theories.

I'm thinking, between the two of them, we could come up with enough bad advice to build the perfect un-hireable pilot.

Hugh Jorgan said:
Bobby once in a while has some good advice, but he spreads more bad gouge based on his bitterness and what sounds like an inability to accurately assess his failures than good.
To thine ownself be true, Hugh. Everything I have related is based on my experiences.

I've always said that I am not the poster boy for aviation career building and hiring. I've learned from my experiences (which is something always emphasized for answering interview questions). That's why I have shared my experiences, maybe more freely than I should. Perhaps others can learn from my mistakes, and experiences.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Once more, a point of clarification. I do not believe that over-forty pilots who have been flying for years and who have corporate, 135, miliary or other advanced experience suffer age discrimination. Members of the "club." Once more, I believe that career changers, such as myself, who started later and offer only flight instructing experience, such as my younger peers at the time, experience age discrimination.

I'm not talking military or other "connected" people Bobby. I fly all the time with captains that got their start in aviation over the age of 40 and had nothing but flight instructing or check hauling experience when they got their regional jobs. I had students also that have since gotten jobs at many different regionals even though they were over 40 when they started.

Maybe it wasn't bad attitude Bobby, I don't know. It could have been any number of things: failed checkrides, something bad on the background check, too many speeding tickets, whatever. The fact is that many pilots with your exact same level of experience at the exact same age received job offers at the same airlines you interviewed at. In my opinion, that rules out age discrimination.

Age discrimination and interview problems ASIDE

PCL_128 said:
I'm not talking military or other "connected" people Bobby. I fly all the time with captains that got their start in aviation over the age of 40 and had nothing but flight instructing or check hauling experience when they got their regional jobs. I had students also that have since gotten jobs at many different regionals even though they were over 40 when they started.

Maybe it wasn't bad attitude Bobby, I don't know. It could have been any number of things: failed checkrides, something bad on the background check, too many speeding tickets, whatever. The fact is that many pilots with your exact same level of experience at the exact same age received job offers at the same airlines you interviewed at. In my opinion, that rules out age discrimination.
Check hauling experience is 135 time, which makes one a club member and less susceptible to age discrimination. Even so, I had a friend, female, who had good 135 time hauling Ameriflight freight and flying Air Nevada ditch tours in the mid '80s. Far better qualified than me - and close to my age. Good role model. She tried for years to get an Horizon interview, unsuccessfully. But, some of our coworkers, with far less experience, no 135 and much younger, got interviews and jobs at Horizon.

In any event, despite factual evidence to the contrary, you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back