How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wood pecker

Any comments positive/negative on the ATL job fair on 4-16? Any specific comments or news given on the AirTran tour on Saturday morning.

Just wanting to know how bad I should feel for missing the event due to work. I was afraid to call in sick being that half my airline might be there trying to get a job w/ AirTran.

Thanks.

Sign of the 2007 hiring boom

The show was another confirming data point on the road to the 2007-hiring boom. 400 plus attended, a number of airlines were begging for pilots to apply for empty classes in the next two weeks. But they did not fill their classes at the show. Now the premier job places like FedEx, UPS, CAL, etc all had long lines. The smaller carriers Pinnicle, AE, Commute Air, Cogan had no lines. Plenty of jobs out there, I guess just not very good. One of the presenters said for a smaller company said if you meet the mins and did not die during the phone interview you were hired. Reminds we of 1995/96 all the majors have 10-15K resumes, but each airline had the same 10-15K resumes. Two year later the 10-15K all got jobs. Now to keep the hiring pool large enough to be selective, the airlines will redefine their competitive minimums. i.e. read lower their standards. Which will lead to more hiring peaking in 2007. So that was my take on the show, be ready for the 2007-hiring boom because it is on its way. BTW someone said TAB Express is no longer around; any confirmation?

Last edited:
I used to laugh at your prediction yip, but I'm beginning to think you're right. CAL is hiring, NW should be hiring by the end of '06, DAL should be hiring by beginning of '07 (maybe sooner), and UPS, FedEx, SWA, JBlue, Airtran are continuing to hire. With the huge number of retirements coming up in the next decade the airlines are going to have to hire big numbers even if there is zero growth.

The same pattern is repeating itself again just like it has done in every other decade. This idea that there has been some king of "paradigm shift" that has changed everything is ridiculous.

I am going to agree and disagree with Yip's prediction and provide my insight into this industry after almost two decades of involvement.

Let me first state - I HOPE there is not a "hiring boom" in 2007. Over the past two decades, hiring at frantic rates has lead to furloughs. When airlines hire in large numbers, it seems they are experiencing overzealous growth planned by egomaniac management types.

While growth is good, it needs to be realistic. I truly hope this industry has learned lessons from the past and is conservative in their growth strategies.

While I agree with Yip that there will be a good deal of hiring, you do not need a crystal ball to predict what he is saying. Historically, the best years to be hired in aviation and avoid furloughs are years ending in 4-7.

In fact, I have seen this same trend in the general business world as a resume writer for 18 years. Our economy is constantly fluctuating between growth and stagnation. The middle of a decade seems to be the best for company expansion and success.

I will predict that our economy hits another recession at the end of this decade and beginning of the next. Can I get my Miss Cleo Psychic Hotline Employee card now? :D

Kathy

Kathy maybe boom is a bit of an exaggeration, but I bet we see hiring in 2007 that will be 3 maybe 4 times what it was in 2004. Will it be a good time to be hired into a new job. Only time will tell. As E Gann said we are slaves to the numbers.

Hiring

Dear All:

I hope for all who are job hunting the best of luck. It is too bad the industry is in such poor shape.

The cycles you are describing in the past are historical and will be repeated, however, the financial health of most of the industry has never been worse.

As a whole, the industry will lose billions this year again and that is sad. It was sure a lot more fun when the hiring was healthy and so were the airlines.

My best advice...choose wisely. Take your time and do the math. Not all the airlines hiring today will survive this industry reset.

I'm still thankful and wouldn't change anything now, but I sure have some nervous days ahead.

All for now,

DLslug

I had a very positive experience at the Job Fair. I won one of the many door prizes. :D

Besides my prize, I was actually very impressed by the whole operation. I was very warmly received by the nice folks at AirTran, Continental, and JetBlue. Meanwhile, UPS and FedEx basically said if I didn't know some pilots there, not to waste my (meaning their) time. I'm expecting 2, possibly 3 interviews now, and came away feeling like I'd won the lottery, which I guess I kinda did.

I'd highly recommend attending these Job Fairs until you get hired somewhere. Even though my airline was hiring at the Fair, and everyone was talking about me at work today, I totally feel it was worth taking the time off.

Good Luck.

wood pecker said:
Any comments positive/negative on the ATL job fair on 4-16? Any specific comments or news given on the AirTran tour on Saturday morning.

Just wanting to know how bad I should feel for missing the event due to work. I was afraid to call in sick being that half my airline might be there trying to get a job w/ AirTran.

Thanks.

Hiring dud

pilotyip said:
oom is a bit of an exaggeration . . .
Interesting, Yip, how you back down quickly off your boom prediction when confronted . . .
I bet we see hiring in 2007 that will be 3 maybe 4 times what it was in 2004. Will it be a good time to be hired into a new job. Only time will tell . . .
You're backing down further. Take that bet to Vegas, Yip.
As E Gann said we are slaves to the numbers.
There is always hiring, Yip. No one should know better than you, who hires pilots. But don't expect a boom, or hiring in the same proportions, as in 1987-'91 and 1997-2000. When you and Kit predict a hiring boom, people think of those years. In so doing, you mislead people and get their hopes up falsely. Hopefully, your predictions are disregarded.
Resume Writer said:
Can I get my Miss Cleo Psychic Hotline Employee card now?
Get one for me, too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Interesting, Yip, how you back down quickly off your boom prediction when confronted . . . You're backing down further. Take that bet to Vegas, Yip.There is always hiring, Yip. No one should know better than you, who hires pilots. But don't expect a boom, or hiring in the same proportions, as in 1987-'91 and 1997-2000. When you and Kit predict a hiring boom, people think of those years. In so doing, you mislead people and get their hopes up falsely. Hopefully, your predictions are disregarded.Get one for me, too. :rolleyes:

Never fear, Bobby's back to calm you down. Oh no! Airlines are hiring and everyone said it would never be the same!

Wholly crap!! there is going to be a pilot shortage! Can't wait to see the ads in the next issue of your favorite aviation periodical.

"Do you want to become a high paid airline pilot like you've always dreamed? Well you can in just 6 months, just make the check out to _______ aviation academy and in no time the huge pay checks will start rolling in." "we can do this here at the Academy because we are professionals, and because you wear epaulets while in training you will be professional too and have a leg up on all the furloughed 20,000 hour pilots."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back