How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Carl_Spackler said:
I think it shows a little more ambition that a resume faxed or emailed every few months.

While I don't doubt that some people might get an interview as a result of an expensive handshake, it has little to do with ambition. Hiring nowadays has VERY little to do with ambition and more with who you know and know well. That IS fact, not spin.
The fact that you went to a job fair, especially an aviation job fair, is no guarantee and the stats prove that the vast majority get all pumped up but go away empty handed. It IS an effective tool for the employer but certainly not for the candidate. Been there, done that......

PILOT SHORTAGE??? there will never will be a pilot shortage in the sense that we pilots want to think. I think the term pilot shortage for some pilots makes them think that someday FEdEX, SWA or NWA will just call them for a job since there is such a shortage of pilots. I think the term shortage should be replaced with HIRING where in realistic terms for each person hired there are 100's or 1000's that are qualifed to get that same job. Why is there a MILE long line at those Airinc. conventions?? that does not look like a pilot shortage it just shows you that there is HIRING going on for a positions where 1000's to 10,000's pilots are qualified and try to get the same one. And how much do these Airinc confernces cost? 200 Dollars? are you kidding they should be FREE if you have a pilots licences. This is just a way for Airinc and the airlines to make some extra cash and its more like a lot of cash.

Showing up v. mailing it in

Carl_Spackler said:
People do get interviews because they show up at these events. I think it shows a little more ambition that a resume faxed or emailed every few months.
My experience, above, notwithstanding, while living in Prescott, Arizona I tried to get on with StatesWest Airlines in Phoenix. Not only did I mail in resumes and updates, everytime I was in town, which was about every six weeks or so, I hand-delivered my resume with cover letter. I did this for something like two years. No response.

Moreover, Kit preached in his materials that because it is impossible for most people to apply in person that well-drafted cover letters and resumes were a necessity because the bulk of one's efforts would be done (in those days) by mail.

I'm with Bobby on this one. But its also a personal choice if you want to spend that kind of cash. I'll never forget 5 years ago when I called Kit about a problem I had with my driving record before putting out apps. He should have been a used car salesmen, saying things like " we have the materials and knowledge to help you with this issue, if you just sign up for full program". Yea, I signed up like a fool, and the only thing I had was a lighter wallet, and a real nice magazine every month that said the majors should be calling my house shortly because of the huge shortage.

The most amazing thing is how Kit continued the same BS after the furloughs of 9/11. One things for sure, I think he's said it for so long, he actually believes it!

If you read carefully it will make sense...

pilotyip said:
The show was another confirming data point on the road to the 2007-hiring boom. 400 plus attended, a number of airlines were begging for pilots to apply for empty classes in the next two weeks. But they did not fill their classes at the show. Now the premier job places like FedEx, UPS, CAL, etc all had long lines. The smaller carriers Pinnicle, AE, Commute Air, Cogan had no lines. Plenty of jobs out there, I guess just not very good. One of the presenters said for a smaller company said if you meet the mins and did not die during the phone interview you were hired. QUOTE]

Think that says it all about hiring for the future.

What I dont understand about these job fairs is Jetblue has their apps reviewed by a computer before selection, UPS and FED Ex must have internal LOR's, nobody knows what CAL will do for their process. There is no on the spot "Can you come in for an interview next week/month"
Sounds like a bait and switch deal. AIR Inc lures pilots in with names like UPS, FedEx etc. but the only airlines hiring at the job fair are the undesirables.

Bingo, you just hit the nail on the head. Job Fairs are good for the airlines that attend, Uncle Kit and his cohorts.
For the airlines, they can get a feel for what is out there and get a pool of ready-made applicants. For Kit, it's purely a business to swell HIS coffers, not yours.
Nobody is doing this to help pilot applicants; it's not social services, it's purely business and not a particularly ethical one. Quite simply, they do not deliver what they preach. Sure there is an off-chance you might get an interview and even get hired, but I would rather make a wager in Las Vegas than pay $200 just to attend plus hotel and then an additional $50-75 application fee for a maybe. The odds of a return on my investment is far greater. Some people must have money to burn or are naieve or both.
Take a look who are actually hiring from these "job Fairs". The big boys are just jerking you around. Think about it. Why would they haveto go to a fair when they have literally thousands of hopefuls on their books and the only way in is a "personal" recommendation. You ain't got that? Well, tough luck buddy - next!

Actually being hired at a job fair

Those who believe they will actually be hired at a Kit job fair are also inhaling his exhaust fumes. Think about it. Absent sim rides and written exams, one still has to be interviewed, by H.R. and, of course, by the pilot board. Unless I am dreadfully wrong and please correct me if I am, no pilot board is sitting for interviews at a job fair, nor does H.R. have the time to review hand-presented materials and actually conduct an interview. H.R. still must review resumes and applications. Then, it must conduct background checks. In other words, don't hold your breath about actually being hired at a Kit job fair. If you're lucky, you might shake hands with someone, even Kit!

bobbysamd said:
Those who believe they will actually be hired at a Kit job fair are also inhaling his exhaust fumes. Think about it. Absent sim rides and written exams, one still has to be interviewed, by H.R. and, of course, by the pilot board. Unless I am dreadfully wrong and please correct me if I am, no pilot board is sitting for interviews at a job fair, nor does H.R. have the time to review hand-presented materials and actually conduct an interview. H.R. still must review resumes and applications. Then, it must conduct background checks. In other words, don't hold your breath about actually being hired at a Kit job fair. If you're lucky, you might shake hands with someone, even Kit!

You're right that probably nobody actually gets hired at the job fair. However, it wasn't that long ago that I was desperately looking for a job and the really hard part was getting them to even look at your stuff. If you ask me, that is the real value of a job fair; the ability to look a guy in the eye and introduce yourself. Of course, it's diluted by the 800 other guys he talks to that day but that's what it's about.

Bobby come on you were not there, I was. Pinnicle had their HR people and line pilots doing interviews for three days in ATL. A number of pilots walked away from ATL with a job. No sim evals, no LOR's. Back in 2000, I hired off the floor at ATL to fill classes in a next couple weeks, EJA was doing the same thing. You can a walk away from an Air Inc job fair with a job. I do not understand why anyone trying to get a job would forego an opportunity to enhance thier options. They easily pay for sim prep, interview prep, so why not face to face time with a recruiter?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back