• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are jobs, no question about it, and you might even get a line on an interview at a job fair. Unfortunately these are jobs nobody who qualifies for them want. Pay is the issue; I like flying but I also like eating and sleeping in an enclosed space.

There is going to be a lot of hiring but the good jobs of the past are not there anymore. Pay is way down at the majors and the pensions are going.

I never got a lead worth pursuing at a job fair. If you're overqualified to work at a bottom feeding regional, you may get somewhere, otherwise it's probably not worth the money.

Speaking of low pay, I got an application from NetJets, but astaring pay is $28,000, so I think it's going to gather dust for awhile.

However 1124, those who take the those low paying, time building part 121 MEL Turbine jobs will be in great shape when the hiring kicks up. Plus if you have the time for Captain, I heard of upgrade times as low a 6 weeks. But most people feel the way you do.

"You are there"

pilotyip said:
Pinnicle had their HR people and line pilots doing interviews for three days in ATL . . . .
Apparently, then, Pinnacle's Gulfstream P-F-T pipeline has run dry? Another P-F-T broken promise . . . .
A number of pilots walked away from ATL with a job. No sim evals, no LOR's.
Did you actually speak with someone who was hired on the spot?
Back in 2000, I hired off the floor at ATL to fill classes in a next couple weeks, EJA was doing the same thing. You can a walk away from an Air Inc job fair with a job . . . .
. . . . and all the Kit Darby kool-aid one can drink. Why did your hiring practice change, Yip, to require applicants to complete that online psych test?
I do not understand why anyone trying to get a job would forego an opportunity to enhance thier options. They easily pay for sim prep, interview prep, so why not face to face time with a recruiter?
It was the same thing in 1993. One Kit seminar is enough to see what goes on. Moreover, your representations about off-the-floor hiring defy common sense. Most airlines want a sim ride and somewhat, and I emphasize, somewhat, of an interview. In other words, these companies has sims set up at the job fair? Not likely.

Once more, Yip, for your own good, pull away from the Kit Darby exhaust pipe.

Last edited:
Hiring practices changed because of demand. Back in 2000 it was impossible to build a pool and be as selective as we would have liked to be. Many ailrines were in the same situation. We would hire 14 pilots for a class starting next and 3 would not show up for class. We have found the sim eval is not necessary for experienced pilots. Any pilot that has been through a military or 121 training program can fly an airplane. That is where most of our new hires come from. We have had no training failures with those pilots. Times will change again as we are seeing now and hiring practices will have to adopt to the times. Come drink the cool aid, you will feel so good.

Sim rides and Kit Kool-Aid

pilotyip said:
We have found the sim eval is not necessary for experienced pilots. Any pilot that has been through a military or 121 training program can fly an airplane. That is where most of our new hires come from . . . .
Meaning that you would not consider someone like me, a civilian pilot with the credentials seen at the left, assuming that I was current? I didn't think so . . . .
Come drink the cool aid, you will feel so good.
Kool-aid, in the present context, implies a sweet-tasting but poisonous beverage. No, thanks. Once more, as I wrote above, and as old George Bush once said, "Been there, done that." I have already helped make Kit rich.

Last edited:
Hi!

Pinnacle doesn't have a sim ride. Neither does USA Jet, TSA, Comair or Delta. A lot of places don't have a sim ride.

I know of Army aviation guys who were hired at past job fairs, and others who were interviewed at the fairs. I was going to go before, but I got a class date just before the job fair.

Good luck to all of you!

Cliff
GRB

pilotyip said:
Fly because you like to, if you are in it for the money you may be disappointed
Your tag line is part of what's going wrong with this whole profession. It makes me cringe when I hear this drivel, which is right up there with "I can't believe they pay me to do this".

I love to fly, and can't dream of doing anything else for a living as long as I'm physically able. That, however is with the considerable caveat that I consider myself a highly skilled and trained professional and expect to be compensated accordingly. When I can no longer support my family, save for retirement and kids college, afford some of the better things in life, and have the time to enjoy them flying as a profession will no longer be worth it. At that point I'll go buy a little airplane to indulge my love of flying.

Doctors, lawyers, and other similar professionals don't sell their services short like we do in this profession. Why do we? Because we "love to fly".

As I read your musings about the impending pilot shortage, I'm convinced it will only be in the ranks of the low paying, crappy work rule and benefit variety, where there is an endless supply of snot-nosed 500 hr CFI's peeing themselves in excitement for the opportunity of flying a jet.

My father told me as I was growing up that very few of us have the benefit of having a profession we love and get paid well for. The vast majority of people dislike their jobs but do it to survive and live for the weekends.

For those who have an activity they love but don't get paid for it there are hobbies.

Last edited:
I agree with Fly4Hire 100%. This country's aviation industry has been decimated. It is no longer a leader in the international field. I have worked overseas many times when I could not find work here and I was forced to do so. Why? Because the pay, conditions, vacations - you name it, were far superior than here.
On occasions I would return and interview with various companies. The one SINGLE factor that really sucks is the pay. Matter of fact, I have had 3 interviews while on leave the past month. ALL of them are lower than what I'm making now and ALL of them are lower than what I was making 6 YEARS AGO when I last worked for a US airline.
Where's the incentive, Mr. Yip? I do love flying but the remuneration is insufficient to support the family and a crash pad. I used to be a rah, rah 25-year-old, 1000 hr guy once but that kind of mentality does not cut it for me any more. I don't see many other professionals saying, sure I'll take a paycut, never mind any retirement, I'll just do it for the "fun". How can you be respected in your profession if you have to get food stamps at the grocery store? Heck, my wife, as a social worker earns TWICE as much as most pilots!!!!!

Fun: 3 bitchy F/A's, 117 Pax who pay $70 and want REAL food, the FAA ready to violate anyone who coughs wrong, internse industry pressure, high fuel prices over everyones heads, and ice on the runway with a 30 knot crosswind in a ragin snow storm and a short runway. Yeah its worth getting paid in Fun. After all we are nothing but buss drivers.

Not my fault

fly4, There is no comparison, Doctors are knowledge workers, and pilots are skilled workers. Doctors go to school for up to 20 years, work for slave wages until established in practice. Anyone with a certain level of skill and desire can be a pilot, no high school diploma, no college BS degree required, no Ph.D. in Medicine like a doctor, just go to a trade school and develop a skill. Pilots unlike Doctors, CPA's and Engineers have no unique abilities that allow them to change jobs and be paid close to their last job. The job can be done by anyone with a Comm/MEL/Inst. High earnings are based upon seniority within a company's pay structure. Mucking Fomkeys can make take off and landings it is not that big a deal. I know I have trained them. When you can not live on a pilot’s pay, you go somewhere else where you can get better pay. I have had four non-flying jobs while waiting for a chance to get back into aviation. I have never seen a $100K in my life and I would be happy to work for that. I am still living my dream and it is not for any else to pass judgement upon my career.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back