• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Earn Respect as an Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not condescension, it's a dose of reality. You just don't like to hear the truth because it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.

5. Don't sit at the gate and yawn in public. If you
are tired stay in the crew room and rest until
your flight.

I'm a human being not a f-ng robot. If I need to yawn I'm damn sure not going to worry about if I'm doing it in front of passengers or not. Personally I think all this garbage about looking/being professional and putting yourself up on a plateau in front of the traveling public stems mostly from a lack of self esteem.

Professionalism, what's that? It's all but lost in an industry of furloughs, pay cuts, and cheaper is better. If companies want their pilots to be the most professional on the block, then why don't they start hiring pofessional pilots. We hire people at the regional level that may have just received their drivers licencse a couple years ago, have no college degree, and their concept of professionalism is simply showing up. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

Last edited:
notajetpilot -

Put an English grammar text in your bag. Questions are supposed to end with a "?" symbol. ;)

Man, I wore my hat into the interview to show how professional I was...why didn't I get hired?

It's not condescension, it's a dose of reality. You just don't like to hear the truth because it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions.

PCL, let's keep in context. Are you not the one on these boards who many times convincingly pumps up ALPA, but yet you seem unwilling to adhere to it's own CoE when dealing with confrontation those who disagree with you?

Yes, truth is confrontational. Truth demands confrontation.

"Do unto others as you would have them do to you." There is some REAL truth.

The context of these posts about ALPA vs. USAPA has gone beyond "I disagree with you, here is why..." It has degenerated in to name calling and out and out juvenile posts. You're a current/former ALPA officer, right? If so, you not only represent the profession as a flight officer, you represent ALPA, as does PHX and others who regularly post here. I disagree with your post(s). All I expect is for you to respond professionally. I would think as a strong supporter of ALPA, you would excercise the ideals of the ALPA CoE. That's all. We disagree...and walk away to come back another day...maybe even find common ground.

Example: "AWA gets a windfall from Nic." (The statement is rhetorical for the context of this post, I'm not looking for a thread hijack.)

It can be simple to respond to the above statement. Back it up with factual data and refute or agree. Keep it accurate, stay away from personal denigration. If a person can't, they should say so, and STOP. If they sense that their opposition has a character flaw, they should articulate it professionally. Instead of "you're a ________, I would suggest that they should just state that they understand the perspective, but respectfully, it would be inappropriate to comment further without a bad comment.

If a person really senses that they have the moral high ground, they have nothing to fear. If they really believe that the AAA pilots are wrong, for example, that will play out. If they (AAA) are wrong, if everything they (AWA) state is true, then Nic will stand. That is what I expect from a professioanal ALPA aviator, not name calling and condescending comments.

Years ago I worked for a carrier who, during contract negotiations, the management team made some bad choices that negatively affected the pilot group pay. I worked with a fellow Captain who vowed he was gonna "rip off the company" by some unprofessional tactics to recoup his pay loss. I commented to him, "Are you not doing the same thing you despise your own employer for? Are you not lowering yourself to their level?" I told him the carrier would not survive if it conducted itself that way, anyway.

Different scenario, but similar to the USAPA/ALPA/AWA/USAIRWAYS situation. I think it will play out, but the pilots will either work together, or work separately, the latter, I believe to have grave consequenses.

T8

Professionalism, what's that? It's all but lost in an industry of furloughs, pay cuts, and cheaper is better. If companies want their pilots to be the most professional on the block, then why don't they start hiring pofessional pilots. We hire people at the regional level that may have just received their drivers licencse a couple years ago, have no college degree, and their concept of professionalism is simply showing up. As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

Then you have the opportunity to demonstrate to them what a professional pilot is. How's it going?

T8

PCL, let's keep in context. Are you not the one on these boards who many times convincingly pumps up ALPA, but yet you seem unwilling to adhere to it's own CoE when dealing with confrontation those who disagree with you?
I do adhere to the CoE. Your entire premise is false.

An Air Line Pilot will accept the responsibilities as well as the rewards of command and will at all times so conduct himself both on duty and off as to instill and merit the confidence and respect of his crew, his fellow employees, and his associates within the profession.

An Air Line Pilot will conduct his affairs with other members of the profession and with ALPA in such a manner as to bring credit to the profession and ALPA as well as to himself.

• He will not falsely or maliciously injure the professional reputation, prospects, or job security of another pilot, yet if he knows of professional incompetence or conduct detrimental to the profession or to ALPA, he will not shrink from revealing this to the proper authorities within ALPA, so that the weak member may be brought up to the standards demanded, or ALPA and the profession alike may be rid of one unworthy to share its rewards.
So, in your posts with N1N2 where you make condecending comments about him not attending BOD meetings because he is "to busy watching American Idol" (http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=110555&page=5), which part of the above CoE are you adhering to? Is it the bullet point? Is this how you bring others up to the "standards demanded?"

T8

For all the hat Nazi's: nothing looks more stupid than an over-sized hat that swallows your head and makes your ears flop down...if you're going to wear that damn thing get one that fits.

Like someone else mentioned before - the short sleeve shirts with a tie is another major faux pas. Kinda like the attire of a guy working in a position of authority similar to that of manager at a local grocery store or Wal-Mart.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back