• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the DAL pilots want ONLY nwa pilot to take a hit for the DC-9 and the 747-200, then ONLY the DAL pilots will take the hit when the MD88 are to be parked which they have 100 plus of. You cant pick and choose what you want in a merger!! both groups will have to take some losses to become overall stronger..We can sit here all night point fingers at each other saying what they dont like about each other..

Last edited:
If the DAL pilots want ONLY nwa pilot to take a hit for the DC-9 and the 747-200, then ONLY the DAL pilots will take the hit when the MD88 are to be parked which they have 100 plus of. You cant pick and choose what you want in a merger!! both groups will have to take some losses to become overall stronger..We can sit here all night point fingers at each other saying what they dont like about each other..

The MD88s are being replaced by current and future orders of the 737-700/800. I don't think there will be a mass parking of them. They are currently parking 10-15 of them though, but the reasons are for lease expiration and heavy mx. Since we are the major user of the MD88 (Allegiant and Midwest also use a few), we probably will get them back with a better lease deal eventually. Most of them were close to $280,000 a month prior to our BK, and are now close to $80,000 a month for the lease. The MD88 also has a lower CASM than the DC9 or even an RJ, and are more comfortable, along with being a lot newer.

What is the current replacement for the DC9 by the way? The E175? Thank Gawd you guys have the flow down to the left seat at Compass, something we don't have. Our replacement plane for the MD88 is the 737NG.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Supposedly, the hiring that took place here already took those aircraft retirements into consideration. That info came from crew planning here at NWA. FWIW

Good. Again, I don't think there would be a mass parking all at once, but the DC9 will be the first to go IF Delta has to park planes. We all know that. At least you have the option to go to the left seat of that E175 if needed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good. Again, I don't think there would be a mass parking all at once, but the DC9 will be the first to go IF Delta has to park planes. We all know that. At least you have the option to go to the left seat of that E175 if needed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Not trying to argue here but I do think it is worth mentioning only the most senior 160ish NWA furloughs would be in the left seat of a Compass airplane. The next approximately 160 would be in the right seat of Compass. Any NWA furloughs after that amount would be on the street. The top 10% of Compass is protected from furlough so that is where I came up with the approximate numbers.

Anyone think this will change in the joint contract, or stay the same?

The MD88s are being replaced by current and future orders of the 737-700/800. I don't think there will be a mass parking of them. They are currently parking 10-15 of them though, but the reasons are for lease expiration and heavy mx. Since we are the major user of the MD88 (Allegiant and Midwest also use a few), we probably will get them back with a better lease deal eventually. Most of them were close to $280,000 a month prior to our BK, and are now close to $80,000 a month for the lease. The MD88 also has a lower CASM than the DC9 or even an RJ, and are more comfortable, along with being a lot newer.

What is the current replacement for the DC9 by the way? The E175? Thank Gawd you guys have the flow down to the left seat at Compass, something we don't have. Our replacement plane for the MD88 is the 737NG.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The current replacement is about to be 737's which will be bought by the soon to be joint airline. DAL keeps adding international routes and are maintaining the delivery of aircraft, some will say that the reason why the growth will continue even in these tough economic times is because of the merger with NWA. At some point you have to say that future events will take place because of these two great airlines joining together. I agree with what you said about the remaining dc9's and i two think they will be around for a while longer. One could also argue that decisions that NWA is making right now is in preparation for the merged carrier, who knows. One thing we do know is its about to happen and everything we do from this point will be together, replacement aircraft will be replacement aircraft for all of us. ALL NWA aircraft are about to be DELTA aircraft and ALL NWA pilots are about to be DELTA pilots, the sooner we all figure that out the sooner we can start moving forward as a single unified pilot group. I think we are on the right track now and this should be a pretty interesting week. We shall see :beer:

Not trying to argue here but I do think it is worth mentioning only the most senior 160ish NWA furloughs would be in the left seat of a Compass airplane. The next approximately 160 would be in the right seat of Compass. Any NWA furloughs after that amount would be on the street. The top 10% of Compass is protected from furlough so that is where I came up with the approximate numbers.

Anyone think this will change in the joint contract, or stay the same?

I have heard it will stay. Also the captain flowbacks would be at 2nd year pay and the flowback FO's go on at 4th year FO pay if i remember right.

Thanks; I'm gathering information here as I have to make a decision in the next week and half. I'm at your former carrier with a class date at Compass and I'm really in a quandary as to what to do, but that will be for another thread.

Think much will come out this week in the way of the joint contract?

"it is worth mentioning only the most senior 160ish NWA furloughs would be in the left seat of a Compass airplane. The next approximately 160 would be in the right seat of Compass. "

The point is that at least SOME NWA guys would be protected. It would certainly make a difference if we were in the shoes of one of those 320 guys. The DAL junior folks face a different outcome which should be taken into consideration.

"it is worth mentioning only the most senior 160ish NWA furloughs would be in the left seat of a Compass airplane. The next approximately 160 would be in the right seat of Compass. "

The point is that at least SOME NWA guys would be protected. It would certainly make a difference if we were in the shoes of one of those 320 guys. The DAL junior folks face a different outcome which should be taken into consideration.

You guys are really reaching for every straw you can grab....its getting old.

Furlough pay is based on years of service. Each year gives you one month pay up to six months at 65 hours. It is based on Force Manure. When I went out it equated to two weeks pay, but new hires in first year would be two weeks to a month.

Latest resources

Back