• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughs at Delta and Northwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude.....Chill out man......GL was just JOKING about avoiding MSP or DTW in the winter. I've done my fair share of -20 degree preflights in MSP and here's to hoping that I never have to go through there again! GL wasn't dissing the 742 or the venerable 9, JUST the winter wx up north, EH? For what it's worth, the 9's are PAID for and hopefully will be the replacement for a buttload of worthless 50 seaters.

General,

If you would like to share your name and seniority number I am sure it can be arranged for you to never fly in a Northwest A330 or 744 through Minneapolis.

Be careful what you wish for. In this economy I would think that you would want all options on the table.

You really are showing your ignorance when you maked heated emotional comments like this. Why don't you sit back, relax, take a toke from the pipe and wait to see what comes out next week. By the sounds of it, the new JPWA will be less than your LOA 19 but it will be what is needed to carry us through this downturn.

The sooner you stop throwing spears and accepting the fact that NWA is part of your future, the sooner we can all just move on to a better future TOGETHER. Bashing the 742 or the DC9 is doing nothing for pilot unity. Ford and Harrison loves it when you make comments like that--divide and conquer.

Thank god we have good leadership on both sides that are trying to hash things out in NYC this week.

In Unity

You must have missed FBN0223's message right before mine about bidding the A330 so he won't have to go through ATL and CVG. You want my seniority number? It's number 1 baby......

As far as NWA and DL becoming one, I think it is great. We are going to be a strong airline with a great future most likely. The problem most of us have is that we don't know what will happen with those old DC9s and 742s. We all know that they will go first, and that makes a lot of our pilots nervous. I think you could understand that. It would be like us still having DC8s doing SJU. It's the elephant in the room. We don't think it would be fair to have ANY of our guys furloughed because of planes brought to the table by YOU. You can say all you want about your retirements coming soon (although age 65 has bumped it), just like our retirements coming right after that. There are a host of issues that need to be worked out, but overall I think operationally our airline will be great. A few fences here and there should take care of the rest. Enjoy the pay raise.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Enjoy the pay raise.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If I make it that far. That's what I can't understand. We are talking about pay raises and furloughs at the same time. There is something wrong with that scenario.

Yes, this is an opportunity to up the anty, but could the timing be any worse. I just hope our leadership are doing what they can to alleviate furloughs. Most of the bottom 1/4 of each list have had to endure lengthy furloughs. I am sure it is being addressed.

I agree with your assessment that we could be the last guy standing. Just worried about how many will be standing in that line. Due to the fact that we have a lot of retirement at NWA, that should alleviate some of the furlough notices. Let's hope. I just remember being in this exact position after 9/11 when NWA was coming out with the announcement of how any furloughs there would be. I was about 300 from the bottom and to think that I had a fighting chance! Hope it turns out better this time, but living on hope alone doesn't cut it!

Both sides will enjoy a pay raise. And I think the B747-200 and the DC-9s are not the big elephants in room as you say, GL. NWA has one B747-200 flying military charters and a handful up in ANC flying freight. The DC-9 fleet will be around fifty aircraft or less by the time we merge.

And for ATL...nice layover for all but one or two months out the year. Is Spondivits still around?

I hope the Northwest guys don't get screwed. When I was on strike at Comair, the Northwest guys treated us like gold. Unlike the Delta guys who would show up at our picket line and heckle guys who were trying to get off food stamps...

FU you F'ing F.

I remember buying your lines coffee in CVG and paying an assesement every week for you. Putz, pure putz---

Both sides will enjoy a pay raise. And I think the B747-200 and the DC-9s are not the big elephants in room as you say, GL. NWA has one B747-200 flying military charters and a handful up in ANC flying freight. The DC-9 fleet will be around fifty aircraft or less by the time we merge.

And for ATL...nice layover for all but one or two months out the year. Is Spondivits still around?

Yes, Spondivits is around, but a bunch of people recently got sick on some oysters I believe. Also, if you have LONG layovers here (like during a European 6 day trip with ATL in the middle), I bet you would go downtown. I know a lot of our other bases have ATL layovers, and they stay downtown if they are over 12 hours.

I hope you are right about the DC9s and 742s. It just seems obvious that they could be parked. As far as the rest of the fleet goes, we are still getting more widebodies and 73NGs. That, along with your work rule changes to reflect ours will hopefully mitigate furloughs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Does anybody that was at Delta during the last downturn/furloughs remember if pilots were given a chance at voluntary leave first before furloughing in order? The other question is if a person takes leave as opposed to furlough do they get any sort of unemployment from the gov?

I hope the Northwest guys don't get screwed. When I was on strike at Comair, the Northwest guys treated us like gold. Unlike the Delta guys who would show up at our picket line and heckle guys who were trying to get off food stamps...

Sorry Bob, I didn't know that was you.....:smash: :rolleyes:
Did you ever get off food stamps??:laugh:

Latest resources

Back