• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as morons waste time, add to radio clutter, and say these utterly stupid useless things -- watch for it next year and maybe the year after that too!

See ya here next year!

Why in the world do some pilots use the redundant, totally useless, stupid phrase "with you" in their 'check-in' call to ATC. He KNOWS you are "with him". "Checking in with you" has to be the worse. Call sign and altitude is all ya need and all he wants. Quit wasting time on the radio.

Why, when asked your speed by ATC do some guys add the useless "...what do you need?". Just answer the question -- ATC will tell you what they need, if any change, after you answer the question.

Major airport control towers have local radar. Just tell the guy you are on final for the runway. You don't need some long drawn out call telling him whether you're "doing the visual" or "on the ILS" or that you are (again) "with him".

Don't tie up center frequency trying to sound cool by asking ATC "...how ya doing today?" at the end of your check-in.

ATC gives you on-coming trafiic above 18,000' solely so you won't get startled by seeing the traffic so there is absolutely no need to call back ATC a minute later to tell him you have him in sight --he doesn't care!

Since this has been a bug up your crawl for so long...why don't we just appoint you as the official
"Radio Nazi" .

Just curious...what do you do when you hear someone calling ramp on guard frequency?

Cesna Cap....
That's the first time in 20 years that a pilot has given me a good reason for asking "how longs the final?" All those years of faming on DAL and no one ever gave a valid reason.
Now I'll answer it with a bit more cooperation.

He can't be THE official Radio Nazi.. I think thats a position filled by the Delta? guys who announce "you're on guard" in sequence for 2 minutes after the initial transmission..
I have always wondered if that "you're on guard" call might just circle the planet if someone misheard the Nazis and told them they were on guard... ad nauseum...

As long as morons waste time, add to radio clutter, and say these utterly stupid useless things -- watch for it next year and maybe the year after that too!

Kinda like you wasting web space by whining about other pilots' radio vernacular? Gee, I wish I was as perfect as you.

Is that you Chuck Yeager?

some good points, however, with regards to traffic...if you're up in pca and atc gives you merging targets, if you don't see the guy, ok...but if you see 'em, a quick "traffic in sight" is appreciated because you never know what hte controllers next move might be (report passing, etc.)

Also, with regards to visual separations, there are two times when it can be used in pca. either descending a guy out of 180 when it's the lufl, or climbing a guy up into the pca through traffic at 170.

...that's the attitude I expect from a controller.

I don't even want to imagine how difficult it is to manage all the traffic coming in and out of ATL and maybe things are different down there.

Try managing the energy of a jet. I don't want to unnecessarily waste fuel. If I know how long the final is, I know whether or not I need to hurry down, use drag--or not. I don't want to be at 2500' 20 miles out, and I don't want to be turning base to final 5 mile out @ 7000' still doing 250. Out here on the West Coast, controllers actually volunteer that information.

Haha, omg flying a jet is *SOOOO* hard! Lol, I think most folks on here know that a controllers job is a LOT harder than a pilots. In fact, I know of plenty of guys who have flown fighters, airliners, etc, and then gone on to be controllers, or used to be controllers and went to fly, and they've all said that controlling is MUCH harder and a greater workload.

We all know how stressful punching an FMS is...

Latest resources

Back