• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would anyone ever say for flight level reporting "...twenty POINT five..." instead of "..two zero five.."??

Or along the same lines -- "...20 and a HALF.."??

Point?? Half?? Where does this crap get dreamed up???

:rolleyes:

By the same ones who came up with the "fish finder"

Why would anyone ever say for flight level reporting "...twenty POINT five..." instead of "..two zero five.."??

Or along the same lines -- "...20 and a HALF.."??

Point?? Half?? Where does this crap get dreamed up???

:rolleyes:

Get a freakin' life nazi comm police!!! From now on, I'm gonna say all of the things that you can't stand in hope that you are on the frequency. :p

I may abhor "with you", "fishfinders", I wonder why some always start with "And....", but no way is anyone going to take away my occasionally doing a Meow on freq.

The meow's are funny.

All Mach 80's other gripes are perfectly legit. I really wish ALL pilots could work as a CONTROLLER of a communications system for a while, as opposed to a USER of a communications system. Not just ATC, but fire department communications, police communications etc. It's all the same concepts.

It will take about 30 days to realize why its so important to use proper phraseology EVERY TIME. Regardless of how it may make people thing you have ex wives, or suck to fly with.

You know what sucks to fly with? People that think they are cute when they take 15 seconds to ask for an altitude change.

Take 3 seconds to request an altitude change, and the other 12 seconds to talk about something that is actually funny.

"Climb and maintain" removes ambiguity.
Example: without the word maintain, a controller might issue "Climb to 7000"

A pilot might interpret this as "Climb 27 thousand (27,000 ft)"

Many foreign ATC's still use "climb to" and it often causes confusion. I, for one, am glad we in the US include the word maintain in altitude clearances.
Im on your side, but to play Devils Advocate, 27,000 is FL 270, not 27,000 feet.

The AIM states "to" should be included in the phraseology when reading back assigned altitudes. The reason is any 2 digit thousand altitude that starts with a 2 is a flight level, not a "thousand".

All these people who think they are being fun and cute and exuding professionalism by modifying phraseology need to read Don Browns columns. And if that doesnt work, go sit in a tower for a few shifts.

Im on your side, but to play Devils Advocate, 27,000 is FL 270, not 27,000 feet.

The AIM states "to" should be included in the phraseology when reading back assigned altitudes. The reason is any 2 digit thousand altitude that starts with a 2 is a flight level, not a "thousand".

All these people who think they are being fun and cute and exuding professionalism by modifying phraseology need to read Don Browns columns. And if that doesnt work, go sit in a tower for a few shifts.

Precisely. I used to not give a rip about the morons thinking they're cool by saying "with the flash" and such until I read his articles. It becomes crystal clear why there's standardization put forth in the AIM.
I think what bothers me the most about people doing silly things on the radio is that there should be at least a DESIRE to improve yourself and professionalism. It seems like the vast majority of people are content to make up their own phrases and sound like dummies. I find that sad.

Unless there is a big storm nearby, "wind check" is indeed a waste of time. I think it's just a bad habit some guys have. Drives me crazy when the ATIS is reporting a 6kt wind and some guy wants a "wind check".

Since you know everything, you do know that some airlines want you to put the actual(ie. not ATIS) winds in the writeup for a sat./unsat.CAT II/III check don't you?

>>>>you do know that some airlines want you to put the actual(ie. not ATIS) winds in the writeup for a sat./unsat.CAT II/III check don't you?<<<

I'd say about 15% of requested "wind checks" might be for that purpose.

"Climb and maintain" removes ambiguity.
Example: without the word maintain, a controller might issue "Climb to 7000"

A pilot might interpret this as "Climb 27 thousand (27,000 ft)"

Many foreign ATC's still use "climb to" and it often causes confusion. I, for one, am glad we in the US include the word maintain in altitude clearances.
Exactly this helped Flying Tigers put one into a hill. Got cleared to descent 2400 and they went to 400.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back