Extraneous useless radio phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

Why in the world do some pilots use the redundant, totally useless, stupid phrase "with you" in their 'check-in' call to ATC. He KNOWS you are "with him". "Checking in with you" has to be the worse. Call sign and altitude is all ya need and all he wants. Quit wasting time on the radio.

Why, when asked your speed by ATC do some guys add the useless "...what do you need?". Just answer the question -- ATC will tell you what they need, if any change, after you answer the question.

Major airport control towers have local radar. Just tell the guy you are on final for the runway. You don't need some long drawn out call telling him whether you're "doing the visual" or "on the ILS" or that you are (again) "with him".

Don't tie up center frequency trying to sound cool by asking ATC "...how ya doing today?" at the end of your check-in.

ATC gives you on-coming trafiic above 18,000' solely so you won't get startled by seeing the traffic so there is absolutely no need to call back ATC a minute later to tell him you have him in sight --he doesn't care!

Last edited:
"Hey Center, it's 123AB, checking on board with ya at Eighteen-and-a-quarter for twenty eight. Smooth ride, doing .77, what do you need? And how YOU doin'? Oh, and any ride reports below 10 on this ba-YOO-teeee-ful summer afternoon?"

That work for ya? :D Any traffic, please advise... :rolleyes:

Feel better? :mad:

I tend to agree. There is a certain amount of beauty in ICAO standard.

"Hello Atlanta Center Acey111 Checking On With You Through fifteen point five for twenty-four thousand."

Also, when a controller says say SPEED that is always airspeed in knots. When they say: Say MACH NUMBER, that is obviously mach number. Not that difficult but I hear guys and have flown with guys who can't seem to get that straight.

Also a good point about the traffic above FL180. Although sometimes they will want you to report traffic passing so you can climb or descend through their altitude.

Last edited:
I always wondered why anyone would ask for a windcheck unless the winds are pushing the limits of the airplane. I am not sure why pilots say "we have him on TCAS". Unless you have the traffic visually, ATC does not care if you have him on TCAS.

ATC gives you on-coming trafiic above 18,000' solely so you won't get startled by seeing the traffic so there is absolutely no need to call back ATC a minute later to tell him you have him in sight --he doesn't care!

Well, there's where your wrong. Sometimes controllers need you to call traffic so that they can visually climb or descend traffic.

Anyway...... I guess your new to the buisness, becasue that crap used to bother me back in the day, but now who really give a sh$t.

Don't tie up center frequency trying to sound cool by asking ATC "...how ya doing today?" at the end of your check-in.

Sound cool..? We are all people, I think it is nice to ask how'z it going..
If you hear someone in south Florida saying "Hey how's it going down there, it's probably me.."

You should lighten up, life is not that bad.. If the freq is crazy busy, I agree non-essential chat should be kept to a minimum..

Last edited:
Some ATC'er correct me if I am wrong, but ATC cannot assign you to "maintain visual separation, climb maintain FLXXX..." in class A airspace. As previously posted, they only inform you this stuff in the flight levels as a courtesy, no "We're looking........traffic in sight" is necessary.

Latest resources

Back